Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

1 edit
reply to fartness

Re: I don't want to play nice...

Read:
»www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/how-to-jam···ally/247

This is likely what I read years ago and is what I'm referring to. Do new n or ac routers play nice compared to the ones mentioned in the article?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit
said by fartness:

Read:
»www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/how-to-jam···ally/247

This is likely what I read years ago and is what I'm referring to. Do new n or ac routers play nice compared to the ones mentioned in the article?

With the Netgear R6300 or the R7000 you can lock in 40 Mhz which in effect will freeze your neighbor's out however if your neighbors also acquire the same Netgear Routers and learn to lock in 40 Mhz then you'd be in the same boat. Not sure how much longer Netgear will allow this kind of locking since coexistence is what it is

The major problem however is that the "industry" has embraced Beamforming MIMO [versus Spatial Multiplexing MIMO OFDM Technology] because Beamforming MIMO is much cheaper to implement and profit margins are much fatter for everyone in the selling chain. With Spatial Multiplexing MIMO OFDM Technology interference mitigation is far superior pus a host of other positives to numerous for me to mention but due to costs [licensing Airgo signal processing technology] most have dropped out of the Spatial Multiplexing builds. Airgo is now owned by QUALCOMM and Qualcomm have determined that Airgo tech [True MIMO] is too difficult to sell to the masses.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
I've been considering the R7000. Most neighbors are likely using $30 Walmart routers so I doubt there's too many $180 routers out there for me to compete with. Do any home wireless routers use the latter technology that you mentioned?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit
Unfortunately not. If you go with the R7000 make sure to get the latest firmware from Netgear - Firmware Version 1.0.3.24 (802.11ac Wi-Fi CERTIFIED)

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to fartness
Price has nothing to do with with how well they will fight with each other.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
The $180 R7000 will fight much better if it can lock 40mhz. My point was that a $30 router will not have that feature.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Have you looked/surveyed 5GHz? You might be surprised. If you have, ignore this.

former qwest

join:2014-01-04
out there
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
if saturation is a concern, you could also try a powerline router (many companies make them, not fronting Netgear, just the first link i found) »www.netgear.com/home/products/ne···werline/

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Bill_MI
Yes I currently have a 802.11a/g wireless router. Very few of my devices use .11a anymore and most are .11n so it's been time for me to upgrade for awhile. I've always used and preferred .11a for the past 9 years.