Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

dewdude to dfwguy

to dfwguy

Re: Rumor mill: google

said by dfwguy:

I'm not familiar with the technical details of how Google's system works. Can they use the existing PON and just replace the equipment on the ends and get the same result as what they've built themselves?

Google's Kansas City plant is using active ethernet from what I've been told. Each user gets a dedicated piece of glass to the plant. That is obviously not compatible with PON.

Things are different in the Provo and I think future installs. They've gone to WDM-GPON technologies; basically they're using PON but giving each user thier own wavelength. I don't know if it's a seperate up and down stream wavelengths or what. But I do know those installs have optical filters before the ONT's to filter out the other wavelengths on the fiber.

Google could easily switch the eqipment out on both ends to do WDM-GPON; but they'd have to go to each customers house and install some wavelength filters.

The problem with this is that Google really didn't want to be an ISP. They solely started this "1gpbs" ball rolling in an attempt to get the other companies to step up to compete. The issue is that hasn't worked because Google is selective about what cities they go to; and they may even have problems getting in to areas with the way the providers like to buy off public officials.

It'd be a disaster if you ask me. Verizon's GPON doesn't meet Google's standards; it's two data wavelengths shared among all users. Google would have to spend massive amounts of money upgrading the equipment on both ends of the fiber...all they'd really be getting is a bunch of already laid fiber.
SG79
join:2009-05-27
New York, NY

SG79

Kansas City is also on WDM Pon. But you're right about the acquisition being a disaster. Part of the advantage with Google's dedicated fiber to the hut technique is that once Google decides to exit the ISP business ( give it 7 years), it can easily invite other ISPs to bring their equipment to the fiber hut and take over as your ISP. Google can then sell the huts to Level 3 or some other party. Since the huts are unmanned, and all field install techs are contractors, this is really a build it, grow it, and sell it operation for Google. Verizon doesn't have that luxury.

Plus, Google doesn't want to be a phone provider (with all the associated regulatory requirements) or take over any union contracts. Can you blame them?