spc
Search similar:

uniqs
activoice
join:2008-02-10
York, ON

activoice

Program suggestion - keyboard controllable launcher

I've looked through all kinds of windows launchers and can't find anything that does what I want specifically... looking for a suggestion.

I'm looking for a program that will give me a list of programs that I can launch, and that can be navigate by keyboard.

Basically I have an HTPC in the living room, it's got XBMC, Steam, and Hyperspin installed. Currently I've got XBMC set to run at startup, and I launch Steam or Hyperspin from within XBMC.

But what I would prefer to do would be to have an application appear at startup that gives me the choice of which one of the 3 to run. It's got to be controllable with a keyboard because I am using my universal remote which simulates the Arrow Keys and Enter key.

Most launchers work like a dock, and can't be navigated with a keyboard. I was thinking that it could even be some simple VB program... it doesn't have to look great it just has to be functional.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Any reason not to use a wireless mouse?

Do you have any mobile (phone or tablet) devices?
activoice
York, ON

activoice

I have a wirelss mouse, but the reason I want it keyboard controllable is because I want to use my universal remote which simulates keyboard presses.

Basically I want the computer to startup into this menu, then using the remote I want to be able to pick which program to run at startup..

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to activoice

Premium Member

to activoice
I've used »melloware.com/intelliremote/ in conjunction with a universal IR receiver/transceiver remote. You install the intelliremote software on the HTPC and then customize it to start up a specific program based on the remote keypress -- but I'm not sure how well it will work with your universal remote -- which brand/model is it?
activoice
York, ON

activoice

I don't need intelliremote I've already got the remote working with the computer. (I bought a cheap PC remote just for the IR receiver, and learned the commands to my universal remote)

So the remote already works to simulate keyboard keys... I just need a launcher that will work with keyboard presses..

The alternative right now is that I have XBMC run at startup, and use the launcher in XBMC to launch other programs like Hyperspin, or Steam. But that means that XBMC is running needlessly...

I'd prefer to be able to select from a list of programs at startup using just the remote.

If I wanted to use a wireless keyboard or mouse I would just not have anything run at startup and just use the mouse to run a program from the start menu...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I don't understand the difference between installing intelliremote (which will do what you want) vs installing a launcher. They're both just pieces of software.

But as you will. I'm not aware of any launcher that is "remote" aware.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to activoice

Mod

to activoice
You could use CMD.EXE as a keyboard controllable launcher. Maybe create some ".CMD" files to make it easier.
activoice
York, ON

1 recommendation

activoice

Using some sample code I was able to actually program my own HTA program

This is what it looks like right now:

»imgur.com/ra6rjBk

It does mostly what I want... but instead of the arrow keys it works with the tab key, and Enter to launch, or the mouse...

I was able to make this in about 30 minutes...so works pretty well as a proof of concept.

I just need to figure out how to make it exit after it's launched one of the programs