spc
Search similar:

uniqs

VipersRule
@142.68.127.x

VipersRule

Anon

[Internet] Aftermarket modem + router setup

I have a Sagemcom se567 modem/router combo from Bell but I want to begin using an aftermarket modem and router.

I purchases a TP-Link 8616 modem and an Asus Rt-N66u router to pair with it.

While setting up the modem everything seems to be working until I try to actually connect to the internet. The LAN and DSL lights are solid on the modem, and it returns a ping using the Run->cmd-> ping . But when I go to enter my Bell user ID and password (which I have confirmed with Bell to be correct) I keep getting windows error 651 (which I've read is not uncommon.

When I tried hooking up the RT-N66u, it gets stuck in a loop trying to detect connection type.

Can anyone offer any advice or will I need to return the modem?

OR does anybody know how to get the Sagemcom in bridge mode? Bell tech support had no idea how to get the Sagem into bridge so I can use the Asus.

Any help is greatly appreciate!

Thanks.
SquadG
join:2013-06-09
Anjou, QC

SquadG

Bell is using vDSL, not aDSL... Which kind of input do you have ?

VipersRule
@99.192.44.x

VipersRule

Anon

I'm not sure what you meanby what type of input. I also thiught I read somewhere that bell was ADSL. I live in a rural area and can currently only get bells lowest high speed package.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Did you check if the modem has VPI/VCI settings of 0/35 enabled?

Off the top of my head I think these TP-Link modems have a bunch of presets enabled and 0/35 is one of them...

On your Asus router, just set the WAN port to PPPoE and enter your b1/pass dont bother with any silly autodetection.

VipersRule
@99.192.44.x

VipersRule

Anon

Yes it comes preset to 0/35. And I've read it should maybe be 0/38 but also that it doesn't matter so I've left it as is.

I haven't tried the Asus GUI yet, only the quick setup wizard. When I get home from work I'll try that.

Thanks!

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

For Bell Canada Ontario/Quebec territory its 0/35. It could be different in Bell Aliant territory. You didn't mention your location.

VipersRule
@99.192.44.x

VipersRule

Anon

I am just assuming 0/35 is correct. Its extremely difficult to find out this info. Bell tech support had no clue when I called.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well, if you don't have the proper VPI/VCI, the modem will sync, but you will not be able to establish a PPPoE connection. So it is somewhat important.

Front line Bell agents will not know the answer to this, maybe not even higher ups.

VipersRule
@99.192.44.x

VipersRule

Anon

I have resolved the issue.

I disabled all PVCs except the one I wanted to use. The proper VPI/VCI settings are 0/34 for my location. This was the snag I was having.

After enabling only one PVC profile, inserting the correct vpi/ vci settings and changing the modems IP to something other than the same as the router, I was able to connect no problem. So far the connection has been stable.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Where do you live that requires 0/34? Would be helpful to know for others in the future.

VipersRule
@99.192.44.x

VipersRule

Anon

I am in PEI on bell aliant. I found the 0/34 works for me, however I was also reading that in nfld 0/35 On bell aliant was working for people.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hmm. interesting. Well good to know for others if they happen to stumble along this thread while searching.

Glad to see you got it working!