uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Washing Machine Lint Trap Experiment: The Results Are In!

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I have read that washing machine lint is responsible for introducing large quantities of lint into septic systems and can shorten a septic drain field's useful life. Tiny fibers, especially synthetic non-biodegradable ones, can slip past the effluent filter and lodge in the drain field, leading to an eventual gumming up of the system.

To that end, I decided to try an experiment. I bought a stainless steel lint trap 2-pack and installed it on the drain of my Whirlpool Cabrio HE washing machine. I ran 3 loads of clothes using A&H detergent and Up&Up fabric softener.

I had planned on leaving it in there for a few weeks, but curiosity got the better of me, and I checked it after those 3 wash loads. Check out that crud! I was really surprised that that much lint and crud was discharged in just three loads. So the discharge of lint is real and significant, as evidenced by my non-scientific experiment.

So now I'm looking into how to stop as much of that lint from entering the septic system as reasonably possible. I've found two products that I like:

Lint LUV-R: »environmentalenhancement ··· dex.html

Filtrol 160: »www.septicprotector.com/ ··· ces.html

The metal screen I used was for experimental purposes and would be a hassle to consistently use- having to pull and replace the drain hose so often. I like those two options as they could be mounted conveniently for frequent cleaning and have better filtration.

All in all, a good little experiment that hopefully leads to a good solution.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I've been using these for a couple months ever since my line kept clogging going to my sewer line. They are only good for a few washes and then they start making a mess with water squirting everywhere. I need something more permanent. They sure do pick up a lot of stuff.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I need something more permanent as well. I am genuinely surprised at how much lint is produced from washing clothes. I can see why it's a concern, especially for those using septic systems.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
What this tells us is quite a bit if fabric come off clothes,

So that said is it a new high ef washer?
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Yes, Whirlpool Cabrio HE Top Loader.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to mityfowl

to mityfowl
I was using my old top loader, non-HE, and had the same results.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

I need something more permanent. They sure do pick up a lot of stuff.

Our machine dumps water into the pipe of the large wash basin and it drains slowly since my son was born, probably from all the flannel stuff.

Anyway a more "permanent" solution would have to utilize the difference in weight between dirty water and soggy lint during high RPM spinning in a separate small drum. But semi-dry lint would still have to be taken out after each wash.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Different kinds of fabric shed different amounts. Polyester microfiber fabrics have almost nil shedding, while cotton sheds a ton. That's good though in your case, since cotton might rot away eventually, but synthetic would stay forever clogging up the field.

Still best to filter it though of course.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

2 recommendations

sk1939 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
One of the best methods I've found that has been handed down to me from previous generations is old-fashioned pantyhose. They release water very well, are generally pretty cheap, and there is very little that they won't filter out. They also expand considerably.

enon
@209.197.20.x

2 recommendations

enon

Anon

said by sk1939:

One of the best methods I've found that has been handed down to me from previous generations is old-fashioned pantyhose.

Came here to say this. If your wife doesn't have any old ones to give up, an alternative is to grab a handful of those "courtesy socks" that most shoe stores at the mall have available to customers trying on shoes. Same material, works just as well.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

ke4pym to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Why not re-plumb your washer to drain out into a remote part of your property? Then no septic problems.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

1 recommendation

LittleBill to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
considering every person i know is on septic, and no one does this. im curious to know how much of a real problem this is.

enon
@209.197.20.x

enon to ke4pym

Anon

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

Why not re-plumb your washer to drain out into a remote part of your property?

Because it's illegal in many, if not most, jurisdictions.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by enon :

said by ke4pym:

Really? Just to drain some soapy water? Run the pipe out over the area the drain field is taking up.

My parents have been doing this for 20 years. No complaints. Keeps unnecessary water from hitting the septic innards.

enon
@209.197.20.x

enon

Anon

Assuming your parents also live in NC, they are breaking the law.

»www.ncdrought.org/docume ··· 3007.pdf
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by enon :

Grandfather clauses are a wonderful thing! And quite frankly, that's a law I would personally ignore with regards to a clothes washer if it were my property.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
you could connect the drain hose to a very coarse water filter, all you need is a screen. and not have to worry about a leak if a lint trap gets clogged.

Salty_Peaks
@173.255.181.x

Salty_Peaks to enon

Anon

to enon
said by enon :

Wonder why there isn't such an uproar about domesticated animals defecating on the ground? Guess they're not considered human pathogens; this law does make sense -- no one wants hepatitis C, shigella, etc. Guess you could chlorinate it, filter it, UV-C treat it, then discharge it.
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

psiu to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Have also seen a recommendation to put a filter on the exit of the tank itself, can help screen small particulate matter and prevent it from reaching the leach field. Lint, debris from disposal, etc. Too small to settle down and won't get consumed before heading out of the tank.

We just bought a home with a septic tank system so studying up on this. And of course, there was NO lint filter on the washer when we moved in, so who knows how much is out there.

Appreciate seeing your posts, they are well timed, indeed.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I wonder how much can actually get out to the leaching field though. usually a properly functioning tank has baffles between the drain to the field and the input so that no floater material can flow back out.

As for just draining it outside, yea that is illegal today in most states but our house in CT used to have what is called a "Dry Well" and for a long time our washing machine dumped into that.

I would love to see a lint filter compare between a front load and top load.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Salty_Peaks

Premium Member

to Salty_Peaks
said by Salty_Peaks :

said by enon :

Wonder why there isn't such an uproar about domesticated animals defecating on the ground? Guess they're not considered human pathogens; this law does make sense -- no one wants hepatitis C, shigella, etc. Guess you could chlorinate it, filter it, UV-C treat it, then discharge it.

Actually, they do send things in the water bills to clean up the poo in your own yard. No one ever does.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
That's such a coarse filter it is only stopping the big stuff. All the micro-fibers you're worried about went right through it.

If you use a fine enough filter to stop the small fibers, you'll create a drain flow problem that could easily cause a backup.

If you decide to use pantyhose, be aware they stretch. A friend used a cut-off from a pair and after a few washings they stretched and stopped up the sink drain, causing an overflow during the rinse cycle (undersized utility sink didn't help any.)
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I need something more permanent as well. I am genuinely surprised at how much lint is produced from washing clothes. I can see why it's a concern, especially for those using septic systems.

either put in a drywell or use a screen type water filter on the drain. I've had my drywell about 5 years, and it didn't need cleaning yet.. and that's with 2 washers going into it..

Salty_Peaks
@173.255.181.x

Salty_Peaks to ke4pym

Anon

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

Actually, they do send things in the water bills to clean up the poo in your own yard. No one ever does.

Sounds about right, I've got my share of free-roam at-large "pets" out here as well. I wasn't really trying to challenge you, just really opinion why "crap everywhere" animals are ok and soapy greywater is a "infectious cesspool".

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
How often do you wash clothes and how much lint is created per load?

How often is TP used when someone is using the toilet?
Maybe switching out to a bidet? That might really slow down on how fast the tank gets filled.
Or having a trash can for toilet paper, and don't allow TP to be flushed.
I've known a couple homes like that.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by enon :

said by ke4pym:

Really? Just to drain some soapy water? Run the pipe out over the area the drain field is taking up.

My parents have been doing this for 20 years. No complaints. Keeps unnecessary water from hitting the septic innards.

It's called gray water. Some areas don't want to risk it mixing in with ground water. For example if you use well water over public water or live in an area with high water tables, or near a lake.

I did read that they are actually looking at allowing homeowners to capture the gray water they produce and use it to flush toilets. Thus saving money, and water. Though water produced by kitchen sink would still flow to the sewer line/septic tank. Gray water produced by bathroom sinks or tubes could be "recycled".
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to Salty_Peaks

Premium Member

to Salty_Peaks
said by Salty_Peaks :

said by enon :

In some areas there are laws against pet waste on the homeowners lawns. Mostly due to order, but also because the run off does encourage algae in local streams, lakes and ponds.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
mine gets cleaned when ever I mow the lawn. I saw a car with a sign on it "Pet poo removal". The guy lost his job so started up a company. For around 40 bucks a month he'll hit your lawn twice a week to remove your pet's poo.
Taking lemons and making lemonade.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I use similar lint traps on my machine, but they are made of a nylon mesh. The "beauty" of that compared to the metal wire mesh is that I can turn them inside out and pick the lint off them and use them again and again until they get a run in them.. Can't do that with the wire ones. I buy mine at the hardware store every few months.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I wish I would have seen this yesterday - no need for an 'experiment' to know what will happen. Known about the lint for 30+ years.