spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mr_noodles

join:2012-05-10

[Cable] Why Should I stay with TekSavvy?

Two years ago, a friend recommended TekSavvy cable and I can't say that I have been displeased with the service since. I will admit that I wasn't too happy when I had to wait 48 hours for Videotron to answer a ticket while also having to pay ~$100 for the said ticket. It only happened once so I can't really complain, but none of that would have happened with Videotron or Bell or whoever else, in my experience. Hell, they probably would have given me a month of free TV for my time. Anyway, we're moving this week and I looked up how to proceed only to find I would have to pay a $85 moving fee. Again, Videotron doesn't charge me anything to move my phone line and TV.

I'm not frustrated, I just want to make an informed decision. Videotron offers 30/10 + unlimited data for $63/mo (cable) compared to TekSavvy's $85/mo. What stops me from cancelling my TekSavvy subscription and switching to Videotron without having a dime to pay in moving fees? Not to mention I'll never have to worry about my internet going down for 48 hours and coming back up with a $100 surprise on my bill. I'm a little miffed about having bought a modem if I end up switching back to Videotron, but I'll end up about even if I can save on moving fees.

What keeps you guys with TekSavvy as opposed to the big ones out there? I suppose you're all fans if you regularly post here, so you'll have no problem steering me in the right direction.

I'm in Quebec City, if that matters.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Hello Mr_Noodles,

Just to be clear on the pricing Videotron is offering.

Not sure you read the conditions to their order.

A few things to take note.
-The monthly residential Internet service rate of $52.95 applies to all customers and is subject to change without notice.
-An installation fee of $59.95 applies.
-This limited-time offer is intended for residential customers of Videotron's Internet services. The current monthly rate ($5.95 per month for the Standard Security Services and $7.95 per month for the Maximum Security Services)will apply as of the second month of subscription.

For the Unlimited @10$
-The $10 monthly rate applies to Internet customers who are subscribed to at least one other service including Videotron's TV service.
-The $30 monthly rate applies to Internet customers who are subscribed to this service only, or who are already subscribed to one of the following Videotron services : residential telephone, or mobile telephone.

I hope this can help reinforce the decision to stay with TekSavvy.

The Unlimited price you see is actually what you get with TekSavvy.

Best Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR

mr_noodles

join:2012-05-10

Hello Martin! I'm glad you took the time to reply to my post.

I did read the conditions and while I'm sure their pricing is subject to change without notice, I have never had that happen to me as a long time Videotron TV/phone customer. On the other hand, my TekSavvy invoice was bumped $3 in January! They will waive the installation fee because a technician is already scheduled to be at my house to setup the phone and TV services, free of charge. Also, I do not care for their security services and am already a client of the 2 required services for the $10/mo unlimited data.

Just by looking at the numbers, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to stay with TekSavvy. I was hoping for some encouraging advice from your current customers. Is there anything else that the numbers do not tell, perhaps?

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by mr_noodles:

Hello Martin! I'm glad you took the time to reply to my post.

I did read the conditions and while I'm sure their pricing is subject to change without notice, I have never had that happen to me as a long time Videotron TV/phone customer. On the other hand, my TekSavvy invoice was bumped $3 in January! They will waive the installation fee because a technician is already scheduled to be at my house to setup the phone and TV services, free of charge. Also, I do not care for their security services and am already a client of the 2 required services for the $10/mo unlimited data.

Just by looking at the numbers, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to stay with TekSavvy. I was hoping for some encouraging advice from your current customers. Is there anything else that the numbers do not tell, perhaps?

In a simple answer broken in to two parts. I'll make it very short and anyone who knows me, knows I'm not biased towards TSI, just have a tonne of respect for many of the staff.

Reason #1: You'll sleep better at night not supporting the incumbents.
Reason #2: It may not seem like it as you're just one person but you're helping the smaller IISP's try to stop the abusive nature of the incumbents they so easily consider just another day of business.

Granted I never needed support from TSI yet, required it once in 7 years for an inside wiring issue. Support may be slower based off of few complaints on here that I've read. Something they can easily fix, I'd recommend with an unbiased opinion to stick with Teksavvy and avoid the game the incumbents are playing to win back customers.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to mr_noodles

It's worth pointing out that many people in Quebec using cable internet have Videotron TV service, particularly in urban centres. Why? Because most apartment buildings ban satellite dishes, and you can't get FibeTV if you're on cable.

I'm moving to a new place that doesn't have proper DSL service (despite being just a few blocks away, in the downtown core), so I'm going to have to go to cable internet. I also have Videotron digital cable, because there are no other options in my building (short of indie IPTV, which TekSavvy doesn't offer). That means that for me, and many other people, the $10/mth unlimited option is on the table. And in that scenario, these are the choices for medium-to-high speeds:

TSI 30/10 unlimited: $85/mth
Videotron 30/10 unlimited: $63/mth

TSI 60/10 unlimited: $135/mth
Videotron 60/10 unlimited: $94/mth

I realize that Videotron's CBB rates are insane, which is why TSI's rates are so high, but TSI is at a huge competitive disadvantage there. Particularly because other indie ISPs offer unlimited at much cheaper prices; like NetFox's unlimited 30/10 is $65/mth, or 60/10 for $110.

Luckily for me, I don't need unlimited, the 300GB + unlimited upload/off-peak is good enough. And TekSavvy's price for capped 60/10 is the same as Videotron, so no reason not to get TSI... although other indies are cheaper for 60/10...

You guys really need to re-evaluate your vCable prices.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.3 released!

modemport

join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

said by Guspaz:

I'm moving to a new place

did you get screwed on a july 1 move-in date ?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to mr_noodles

No, my lease ends August 1st, and I'll get the keys to the new place around a week earlier to make things easier.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
reply to mr_noodles

TSI is a good honest company but playing the devil's advocate,

Videotron still holds a lot of the power in this relationship and as you have experienced, TSI sends tickets to videotron which then sends out their techs. Whereas when you're with videotron, you're dealing with them directly.

However, videotron are the same bunch of people that wanted to use usage-based-billing a few years ago and without TSI that you are supporting, CDN internet would be very different today.

All in all, this is a free-market designed to stimulate competition. Go with the provider you are most comfortable with. the incumbents have been making a strong push-back lately with the pricing. The TPIA has trouble matching due to the higher CBB costs.

If TSI is working for you, maybe dont fix what's not broken. on the other hand, you can test the waters with videotron (and maybe what made you leave in the first place?)

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to mr_noodles

When I was a Quebec cable test customer, and I had an issue with the cable line, I called up TekSavvy on a weekend. Videotron's technician arrived to fix the issue the same day.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.3 released!

mbd84

join:2013-09-12
kudos:1
reply to mr_noodles

Videotron has industry leading Likely-to-Recommend, one of the major stats that Telecommunications providers use to compare themselves to one another. They more or less obliterate all other ISPs in this regard. They don't care, and they don't NEED to care one bit about you, in terms of being just one lowly residential customer. And it shows.

When I cancelled service a few years ago, I told them I'm switching to a reseller. They said OK, bye. Not even the slightest effort to try keeping the customer. More recently when I asked whether or not they tried to compete with resellers on price, they said nope. Again, didn't even try at all. When I asked the same questions to Bell -- they didn't offer any kind of competitive match, BUT, at least they tried pretty hard to sell me on their service.

Just look at the level of service provided on this very forum. Have you perused the dslreports forums of other ISPs? You don't see the same thing happening there. In this forum, you see various support reps answering questions they don't really have to answer, you see them providing actual support on the direct teksavvy page, you even see the CEO posting messages and replying to people. I think that speaks volumes.

TekSavvy at least tries to cater to a certain type of customer. Offering unlimited 2am-8am, not billing overages on uploads, and now the new Zap the Cap feature. These are not things you get with the incumbent providers. I will agree that the pricing for the Unlimited tiers at TekSavvy are just outright bad. It seems obvious to me they are heavily pushing their 300GB plans, as they are always the best deal. Their goal obviously is not to have everyone on unlimited plans.

There are providers with cheaper "unlimited" plans. See Acanac, Vmedia, among many others. You won't get the support you get with TekSavvy though. So what TekSavvy does is offer a competitive price on a usage tier that accommodates most people, and offers ways to cater to customers with larger requirements without busting the cap or price. That's pretty cool.

I would say that if you're shopping SOLELY on price, then you'd have to think very hard about which option to go with, as TekSavvy is definitely not the absolute cheapest, especially not for "unlimited". However, IMO, you need to give thought to all the considerations even if price is one of the, or the most important one.