batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

1 recommendation

batsona to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: [Pricing] Here comes the Router rental fee of $4.99

How will VZ enforce that all customers [eventually] must be running an Actiontec? A mention of a certificate-based handshake was mentioned a while back. Other than that, I don't see how they can quickly enforce use of Actiontec.

I guess the next thing, will be VZ sending out letters such as: "As of date-ABC, Verizon will mandate the use of our Verizon-branded Actiontec routers. After this date, all personally-supplied routers will no longer function on the Verizon FiOS network. Please visit xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to have an Actiontec router sent to your home before the deadline!"

I wonder what the real business reason, or technical reason is, behind this. --People have been using self-supplied devices for 10 years now. What changed??
deactiveacct
join:2014-01-08
Whitmire, SC

2 edits

1 recommendation

deactiveacct

I think it's total bs and I think it's all about money for them because...

1. Their router is a piece of garbage and basically not even up to date with 802.11ac and especially not even dual band. Like come on already it's 2014 get with the program Verizon. Making their router a requirement is bs as there are better routers than Actiontec and I think it's really not right that a cable company don't give new users that option to use their own because in my opinion most of the problems I hear users complain about either they have their own box with Verizon's router or both Verizon's router and set box and have tons of problems. I think going with your own router and set top box is problem free with just a cablecard rental fee

2. Your wasting money with Verizon boxes anyways. With your TiVo box or your own set top box it saves you money as a one time payment compared to the rental box fee Verizon charges you that adds up if you think about it.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

1 recommendation

BiggA to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
I don't think they care to do anything technical. Doing it by the billing system, and not enforcing what's actually being used achieves their goal of making more money. The annoying part is that very few people know how to set it up with Ethernet and use their own router anyways, so you'd think they'd just let people not buy their crappy router, but they got greedy. They don't care if you use your own, as long as you've already paid for theirs.