join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

2 recommendations

Thinkdiff to nothing00

MVM,

to nothing00

Re: [Pricing] Here comes the Router rental fee of $4.99

said by nothing00:

A tech arriving and having to attempt to deal with everyone's home network is a bit much to ask considering their STBs require connectivity.

Then make the router required for TV installation. Why is it required for Internet-only? Or better yet, make the support policy "we will just provide an ethernet cable if you use your own equipment - no further support". That's worked fine for ~10 years.

There's really no valid reason for this new policy other than Verizon needs to pad their bottom line.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

Is there any evidence that the requirement is actually being enforced? We know that once the installer is gone that everything works fine without an Actiontec, but are installers actually refusing to set things up for people who don't have one? If they aren't, then there's nothing to stop people from choosing the option to buy one elsewhere, then just not buying it.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

There's really no valid reason for this new policy other than Verizon needs to pad their bottom line.

Yeah, ultimately it's a money grab. I mean, they used to do the install and leave you with one with no charge. I don't read the quoted text as a requirement that you USE their router. It sounds like it's a requirement that you have one for installation.

Sounds like you should be able to "rent" it for installation your first month and return it. They probably won't support you over the phone unless you're using one though.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

The question is, will their billing system allow this?

nothing00
Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

nothing00

said by BiggA:

The question is, will their billing system allow this?

From the text it's clear the option is there to bring your own router. So they must have a way of removing the charge. It looks like they just need a MoCA enabled router for install.

If they really insist you have one, you could, you know, *gasp* lie to them and tell them you acquired one elsewhere when you return the rented one.

They even include a Westel on the list so sounds like they're not too picky. You can get an old rev Actiontec for real cheap on eBay if you want one as standby for troubleshooting.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

So by their rules, you could rent for a month and then return it?

nothing00
Centereach, NY

nothing00

said by BiggA:

So by their rules, you could rent for a month and then return it?

It sure sounds like that should be possible.

You will still have to:
own your own MoCA router _OR_
(have an Ethernet connection to the ONT _AND_
connect your STBs to the network somehow)

Even after that a lot of things can go wrong. At that point we'll get the answer to the question about whether they require you to have an Actiontec/Verizon router. And whether you can get away with lying to them. Unless we don't... and the CSRs are confused. Or, in spite of what their online forms say, their billing system won't allow it. Or... sun spots.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Yes, you would still need an ethernet router. A simple MoCA adapter will get the STBs online if you have any of their crappy STBs. A user who is going to bring their own router is most likely also bringing their own TiVo Premiere/Roamio and Minis, so they have their own MoCA system, and have nothing to do with Verizon's STBs anyways. And if a TiVo user gets an HD box from Verizon, it will just bridge through the TiVo to get MoCA anyways.
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

1 recommendation

compuguy

said by BiggA:

Yes, you would still need an ethernet router. A simple MoCA adapter will get the STBs online if you have any of their crappy STBs. A user who is going to bring their own router is most likely also bringing their own TiVo Premiere/Roamio and Minis, so they have their own MoCA system, and have nothing to do with Verizon's STBs anyways. And if a TiVo user gets an HD box from Verizon, it will just bridge through the TiVo to get MoCA anyways.

I do this currently, but I don't have Ethernet running to my router. I use a diplexer to spit off the moca wan to a older netgear moca adapter that works with the moca wan. That goes to the 3rd party router. The ant side of the diplexer goes to a splitter and goes to the various tv's in my condo.