spc
uniqs
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to tschmidt

to tschmidt

Re: Tired of wet mail - options for a new mailbox

said by tschmidt:

I second the Rubbermaid mailbox. Had one since nearly forever.

It is large enough for letter size envelops to lay flat. We are on our second one after several decades of service from the first. Replaced it a year ago after the first one finally gave up the ghost by being hit too often. When I research it this last time found some complaints, I think Rubbermaid sold off the division and it is being produced by someone else and is not as good. After a year the new one seems just as good as the original one.

Be sure the post is secure so when the mail carrier shuts the door the post does not move backward preventing it from fully closing.

It has a mail delivered pop up flag, you may find that useful, but I choose to cut it off.

/tom

that's not a mail delivered flag, that's an outgoing mail flag, so that even if the mailman don't have mail for you, he will see that flag up, and check your box, and take the outgoing mail, and deliver it to the person you addressed it to. so it's not a good idea to do that..

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit

tschmidt

MVM

said by iknow_t:

that's not a mail delivered flag, that's an outgoing mail flag,

All mail boxes have a flag to let the postal carrier now there is mail to pick up.

The Rubbermaid mail boxes have a flag on the door hinge that drops when the door is opened. That way you can tell when mail has been delivered without having to go to the mailbox as long as you can see the box itself.

edit: Tks to StillLearn See Profile reminded me the mail delivered flag is not spring loaded. I've never seen the need and have removed the feature on both our ours.

/tom
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by tschmidt:

said by iknow_t:

that's not a mail delivered flag, that's an outgoing mail flag,

All mail boxes have a flag to let the postal carrier now there is mail to pick up.

The Rubbermaid mail boxes have a spring loaded flag on the door hinge that pops up when the door is opened. That way you can tell when mail has been delivered without having to go to the mailbox as long as you can see it.

/tom

They made addons to do that as well. Some are electronic while others are just manual.

»www.amazon.com/AVM-AVM-0 ··· 044V5RTU
»www.amazon.com/Mail-Chim ··· 0103FDDU