share rss forum feed

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

Dual booting in OS X

My PC workstation runs Windows, but a particular software I need to use for work only has an OS X version, so I'd have to dual boot for those moments I need to use it. Or I may end up using Vmware Workstation and run it as a virtual machine.

However I am confused as to the OS X versions. The Apple store has multiple versions all for 20$. Is it not customary for users to use the latest OS X version?

If I do buy the OS on the webstore, will I get an iso or something else?

I could use some pointers on how to dual boot efficiently.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Should preface this by saying I took your post to mean you're using a PC workstation - if you have a Mac that exclusively runs Windows, then it's a different story.

You cannot natively boot OS X on a PC or in a virtual machine (unless that virtual machine software is running on a Mac), legally at least.

The Apple Store also does not sell the latest version (Mavericks) - it's free and only available on the Apple App Store.

There may be ways to use OS X on a PC, but they cannot be discussed here (illegal).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
I do use a PC workstation. I wasn't aware it was illegal to use OS X on PC. I thought I could just buy 10.8 and install from an iso.

Once again I am reminded why I dislike Apple's business model. *shrugs*

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
The legality is a grey-area (not even sure of the differences in Canada), but at the very least you would be breaking the EULA.

The drivers provided with OS X are also designed to support hardware that Apple has used - nothing more, so some of your equipment might not even work or it may be very unstable. Not good for any kind of production machine. The common term is "Hackintosh", for good reason.
--

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to TigerLord
Well, the minis are pretty affordable, and my monitors have multiple inputs, so it'll be easier to just switch video inputs on my monitor when I want to switch OS X than dealing with drivers instability.

Should I bother looking for refurbs or just buy straight at the local Apple store?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
The refurbs sold by Apple are good-as-new and usually much cheaper. Biggest difference is that they don't come with the shiny new box (generic brown box). They carry the same warranty as the new models. Many other users here have purchased refurbs from Apple and highly recommend them.
--

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Thinkdiff:

The refurbs sold by Apple are good-as-new and usually much cheaper. Biggest difference is that they don't come with the shiny new box (generic brown box). They carry the same warranty as the new models. Many other users here have purchased refurbs from Apple and highly recommend them.

Yeah we've even bought them for our offices... the savings add up if you buy more machines...

The only issue with a refurb is getting the configuration you want, it may not be available in the refurb store at the time. Its especially important with the un-upgradeable MBA/MBPr models, and to some extent the latest iMacs, which have a glued screen that cannot be easily removed compared to older models which had the screen held by magnets.
--

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord
Something else to note. You can install windows on the Mac and then dual boot that machine. So you only need the one machine. Just something to keep in mind.

a_large_rock

join:2003-08-02
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
Apple has to do this to enforce their monopoly on their hardware. If they let anyone build a computer to run OS X Apple wouldn't be able to charge the prices they do.

Back in the late 1990's there were cases of people selling Macintosh clones with the same hardware as the real mac at less then 1/2 the price. Apple got wind of this and they were shut down.

With PCs everyone has been able to sell IBM clones from the very start, hence competition in that market.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by a_large_rock:

Back in the late 1990's there were cases of people selling Macintosh clones with the same hardware as the real mac at less then 1/2 the price. Apple got wind of this and they were shut down.

Not quite accurate, in the mid 90's Apple licensed the ROM and the operating system to several manufacturers, I remember Power Computing, Motorola, UMAX, Daystar, there were probably more.

Steve Jobs killed the program when he returned to Apple.
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to a_large_rock
said by a_large_rock:

Apple has to do this to enforce their monopoly on their hardware. If they let anyone build a computer to run OS X Apple wouldn't be able to charge the prices they do.

Apple has to do this to encourage the stability of their enviroment. If they let anyone build a computer to run OS X Apple would be as ugly and have as many problems as PCs and would only be worth what a PC is worth.
--
---You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to TigerLord
I ended up getting a used mac mini in pristine condition off craiglist for 375$ (including M+KB) with the following config:

Intel Core 2 2.53 GHz
1TB RAID Hard Drive (2 x 500)
8GB Memory (1066)
+Apple wired keyboard + Mouse included
+Original box, CD, display adapter and cables all included.

It will do the job for what I need to do. Thankfully my three U3014 monitors have plenty of inputs and the footprint of the actual computer is so tiny I'll be able to leave it on my desk all the time and simply switch input on the monitor when I want to work in OS X, and I'll use my NAS to bridge content between the two.

I expect OS X supports Samba natively?

What about switching the hard drives to SSD in there? Do I need mSATA SSD?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
You actually have a Mac Mini Server. That's a good price for it. You probably noticed it has no optical drive. I bought one very similar to this to use with my Mini Servers. »smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Externa···rnal+dvd

The hard drives are just regular SATA laptop drives. The upper drive is a little easier to replace. Be careful when you open it up. The wi-fi antennas are attached to the frame the hard drives and fan are mounted in.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

What about switching the hard drives to SSD in there? Do I need mSATA SSD?

No but I would make sure and follow a good online guide such as iFixit. Those mac minis are pretty tight. FYI, you will need a putty knife.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to TigerLord
Well I re-sold the mini (at a 50$ profit too, lol) because 7200 rpm drives?

I've been using SSD since 2010, couldn't bear waiting 5 minutes for that adobe icon to stop bouncing on the dock. Plus, opening 30MP raw files was painfully slow.

I'm considering a brand new mini, but since I'm in the market for a laptop, I might as well get a MBP and thether it to my screen when I'm home.

Is there a way to support multi-monitor with the MBP? I have three Dell 30", ideally I'd like to be able to use at least two.

The Canadian refurb store has this at 500$ off.

quote:
Originally released February 2013
15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

I assume I could dual boot in Windows with this, should I need it?

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to a_large_rock
"Back in the late 1990's there were cases of people selling Macintosh clones with the same hardware as the real mac at less then 1/2 the price"

My first mac was a Power Computing with a 604 processor running at a blazing 66mhz (& 40 megs RAM)

It was barely cheaper than a 'real' mac - seems like maybe 10% less but too long ago to remember basic machine cost but the ram cost is till stuck in my head.
I paid another $1800 to upgrade to 40 from stock 16megs for Photoshop...

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I'm considering a brand new mini, but since I'm in the market for a laptop, I might as well get a MBP and thether it to my screen when I'm home.

Is there a way to support multi-monitor with the MBP? I have three Dell 30", ideally I'd like to be able to use at least two.

Yes, you have both Thunderbolt and HDMI outputs available on the MBP. I only use one external monitor with my MBPr 13" when at home via Thunderbot but have used the HDMI port a few times when elsewhere to display on larger monitors.