share rss forum feed

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2

Curious...

As far as I'm aware, this isn't happening in Canada. At least not to this extent. I wonder if that's because the Big 3 are too stupid to do this, or they're afraid they'll receive a lashing.
--
Weeeeeee

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42

3 recommendations

Give them time.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to nekkidtruth
said by nekkidtruth:

As far as I'm aware, this isn't happening in Canada. At least not to this extent. I wonder if that's because the Big 3 are too stupid to do this, or they're afraid they'll receive a lashing.

Could also be a function of caps. Don't the major Canadian ISPs impose some pretty low caps, or do I need to drink a few more Diet Cokes before I post this morning?

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Yes and no. They've been offering Unlimited tiers for a while now. The TPIA's have had unlimited for years though.
--
Weeeeeee

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
You are being disingenuous. The VAST majority of the Canadian plans out there (and ones with regular speeds) have extremely low caps for DIRECT customers. If they go to TPIA or DSL one can have plans with reasonable caps ONLY because the CRTC regulates the wholesale rates.

Before I switched the parents from Rogers to Bell to Teksavvy the MOST they has was 30GB and that was for $55. They now pay $32 for 300GB and 6/.256. The upload really sucks but for their needs it works. On top of that they use VOIP and it works just fine. Rogers used to charge $40 for a landline (VOIP landline BTW), now they pay under $10.

Competition has opened up now because people are beginning to understand just how expensive these legacy carriers are. Another impact was that once they moved from Bell to TS, after a year they decided that they also didn't need cable (they could stream) and now Bell has lost both internet and TV--over $120/mo in revenue, now down to $35 (after HST).

I hope people keep calling out these operators for what they are, and continue to speak w/ their wallets.

If this gets worse w/ Net Neutrality the government will eventually be forced to regulate, and the best antidote would be to have wholesale access like in Canada, except the issue of last mile touching the prem is a nightmare.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
How am I being disingenuous? Rogers and Bell have offered Unlimited for nearly 2 years now. It was at a cost ($10 bundled with 2 other services or $30 otherwise) on top of their usual tiers.

I also made it perfectly clear that TPIA's have offered Unlimited for years. I agree that people are starting to open up their eyes (and that's definitely a good thing).
--
Weeeeeee

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Ill statement. I should have prefaced at a reasonable cost. IMHO the TPIA is great for Canada, and proof is that the rents internet cost less than in the states now. There are some real good competitors out in that space, and they are forcing the operators to compete, where in the past it was a nightmare...

For instance 30/5 rogers unlimited is almost $90 (not exactly cheap), under TPIA. Ebox has a 25/2 (not the same) for $25 to $45 for 1 TB--essentially unlimited.

In my case in the US, I have Verizon or TWC (both unlimited) but the 25/2 would cost be like $60 and Verizon 50/25 would nab me for $80. There is NO choice outside of that.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I agree 100% that TPIA's are great for Canada. They have absolutely helped with changing the market. But if we're going keep things real, there are a lot of things that come into play when deciding between TPIA's and the incumbents, it's not just about price.

Numerous TPIA's have stability issues (a large portion of which are due to the incumbents). The cost of moving from one of the incumbents to a TPIA is also generally high (in some cases a couple hundred dollars). I would LOVE to move to a TPIA and have no issue paying the slightly higher start up costs (new modem and transfer fees and or installation fees). I do however take issue with stability. I will say that the TPIA's definitely work hard to resolve those issues though.

I've currently got my eye on Vmedia as their TV+Internet package is the same price I'm currently paying for Rogers Internet+Unlimited alone.
--
Weeeeeee

DabberDan

join:2004-11-15
Canada
reply to elefante72
Does TPIA work over Bell's fiber? I was under the impression that it was only for the copper network?

However, TSI uses Rogers' cable network...

All this to say that in New Brunswick, all my services were migrated on FiberOP (phone, internet, TV). I really thought I was making a disservice to TPIA not keeping something on the copper network to ensure the possibility of TPIA in NB for the future.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
As far as I'm aware, TPIA's do not have access to Bell's fiber at the moment.
--
Weeeeeee

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State

1 recommendation

reply to Karl Bode
What do you do in Smallville America where the only two providers are AT&T and Comcast?
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside