spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

churdburglar

join:2014-05-06

Prism TV stalls/freezes/jumps/"buffers" - what's the issue?

Sorry if someone else posted an issue like this before, but I haven't found anything. I have also contacted CL and they said they would need to send a tech out - for a fee - to look into the issue.

My problem is when watching any channel (not recorded) the picture (and usually sound) will stall and jump whenever my garage door is slammed or the ice maker in my refrigerator turns on. For example, while watching live TV, I will hear my ice drop and about 10 seconds later water is turned on to refill the cube tray. When the water turns on the picture will kind of freeze and get scrambled for about 7 seconds then go back to normal.

What would cause something like this? Would a water pipe in close proximity create interference? Or maybe it is electrical? Although, there aren't issues when lights/tv/other are turned on/off.

I don't want to pay for a tech unless I know the problem can be fixed. Anyone have any ideas on how to narrow down and figure out what is causing the issue?

FYI - My service is for Prism Complete and my internet is 12Mbps. My modem is an Actiontec C2000A.

Thank you in advance.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
I would guess that there is not enough bandwidth. Prism is a hog and all the hype CL gives you is really not the whole story.

At 12mb, Prism is using just about all of it. If you have any other Internet usage with Prism bot will die an ugly death.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
reply to churdburglar
One thing I can suggest is to see if they are all on the same ac circuit, any equipment involved with CL equipment and the other equipment. I would say that this is not a CL problem.

I would consider this a radio interference problem known as RFI.

churdburglar

reply to Irish Shark
Well, my connection status shows a downstream rate of 27.264 Mbps. It then it breaks down showing DSL1 and DSL2 each at 13.632 Mbps. I assumed that one of those DSL lines was for Prism and the other for internet traffic. I do have a lot of devices connected, so maybe the total bandwidth is shared. Anyway, thanks for the response.

churdburglar

reply to Ken1943
Thanks for responding.

So this problem wouldn't be caused by "bad" wiring? I mean, the wiring to my modem just runs along the outside of my house. If the wire is kinked, pinched or punctured could that be an issue?

Anyway, I'll research RFI. I don't know jack about electricity so maybe an electrician can help diagnose the problem. I have some other electrical work that needs to be addressed anyway.

Ken1943

Denver, CO
If you know any Ham Radio Operators, they may be able to help. I did a lot of this type of stuff for the last telephone company I worked for.

It is not an easy problem to trouble shoot as there is so much electronic equipment around that can cause interference.
Expand your moderator at work

Ken1943

Denver, CO
reply to churdburglar

Re: Prism TV stalls/freezes/jumps/"buffers" - what's the issue?

That would explain the door opener and ice machine ? I don't think so.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to churdburglar
Are you using wired or wireless Prism boxes?

I would check the electrical for open grounds/neutrals, and make sure the telephone and electrical grounds are connected to the same ground rod.

coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Anon
I agree, in re help forum.

It looks like what's happening here is OP is using a bonded pair (Interesting!) each pair is bringing in a bit over twelve megs. PRISM isn't necessarily going to use a dedicated pair in this situation. (However, some posters have talked about having a whole dedicated circuit installed for PRISM, so they can have a 40M line for Internet and a separate 20M line for PRISM, with separate modems/gateways/networks for each installation.)

Anyway, I think that checking grounding and potential interference form AC motors is a good starting point. Here's some potentially interesting information about AC motors and other electrical equipment that may be causing some interference: »AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »My DSL loses sync regularly. How can I detect interference with an AM Radio?

Good luck!

churdburglar

reply to churdburglar
Thanks again for the replies. I did some testing when I got home and may have narrowed the problem down. I'm going to pick up some supplies after work that might fix the issue. I'll report back tonight or tomorrow regardless of the outcome. There actually was another thread on this site with a similar issue (not in the CL forum) that I would have never found without some of the ideas that were posted. I'll link it if that was indeed the problem, but want to make sure before I refer to that post.

Anyway, thanks all for the responses!

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
reply to churdburglar
Said by churdburglar See Profile FYI - My service is for Prism Complete and my internet is 12Mbps.

That is in your first post. No mention of 27.264 mbps.

My post was in response to your stated line rate. At that speed, it does not take much for things to go wrong.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra
Expand your moderator at work

TaterBob

join:2014-01-31
Fulton, MO

1 recommendation

reply to churdburglar

Re: Prism TV stalls/freezes/jumps/"buffers" - what's the issue?

You have an impulse noise problem. Most likely coming from draws coming from your fridge and garage door being on the same breaker as your modem. Best recommendation I would make would be to find a long extension cord and try plugging your modem into an outlet in a different room that you know is not on the same breaker as the garage door, and fridge. Then see how it goes for a couple of days.