Search similar:

uniqs
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

Antivirus is dead, says maker of Norton Antivirus

NORTON was a good AV suite & now ¿ ¿ ........ [ »www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· rus.html ]

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943

They just don't want to keep up with changing times so they say AV is gone. I would not trust them on any of my computers. Norton Mcafee same crap.
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

Right on ..... I never use "kitchen_sink" application BTW, they fired 2 CEO "Symantec does certainly need to change its game plan. The company has seen profits rise slightly, thanks to a savage series of job cuts, but has fired two CEOs in as many years for failing to get the company growing again."

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

2 recommendations

jadinolf to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
Not all of their products are bad:

»support.norton.com/sp/en ··· le_en_us
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
I think it is better to word things as AV as we once knew is dead.

The issue I am pointing at is that much of the AV world is reactive, That is scanning a system after the fact or scanning removable media before it loads in.

However today the attack vectors are far too many for typical AV software.

I think user education and attack prevention are the future. That is stopping the attack routes before code can even enter the system.

Of course also the common computer virus is dead too, Long gone are the days of destroying boot sectors and deleting the BIOS while getting some laughs from the script kiddies.

Today malware and the multi-billion dollar business of scareware and botnets has replaced the stand alone virus. And that business can adapt just as fast as AV software.

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

2 recommendations

Triple Helix to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
Good I'm sick of cleaning PC's that have Norton on them.

TH
centacre
join:2003-03-17
Cypress, TX

1 recommendation

centacre to 85160670

to 85160670
IMHO, the best way to go is SUA, SRP, Sandboxing and common sense. Haven't run an AV for close five years now.
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

1 recommendation

85160670 (banned) to jadinolf

to jadinolf
The topic is about Anti_virus product & this is Symantec quotes "Antivirus software is dead and over 55% of attacks go unnoticed, says security expert at Symantec" ..... SORRY
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to centacre

to centacre
said by centacre:

IMHO, the best way to go is SUA, SRP, Sandboxing and common sense.

In the case of SRP, unfortunately, Microsoft has built in by design a bypass, at least in Windows 7.

In CreateRestrictedToken, by using the "SANDBOX_INERT" flag, Software Restriction Policies won't be checked. I tested this "feature" using this powershell and SRP can be bypassed. The crux is the "2" in this code, which corresponds to "SANDBOX_INERT".
if ([PKI.SRP]::CreateRestrictedToken($hToken,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,[ref]$hNewToken))

Change the 2 to a 0 or some other flag, and SRP will be enforced. I have an XP calculator in my bin folder, so after restricting it in SRP, I added the following line to the bottom of the code to actually use the function to test SRP.
Start-Program c:\bin\calc.exe

There is a hotfix that will limit this ability to LocalSystem and Trusted Installer. I have not installed this hotfix at this time.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
Eugene Kaspersky lashes out at Symantec’s 'anti-virus is dead' remark
quote:
EUGENE KASPERSKY has disputed claims by a Symantec executive that "anti-virus is dead", claiming that it's still very much "alive and kicking".

Symantec SVP for information security Brian Dye told the Wall Street Journal last weekend that anti-virus software "is dead" and a better way to minimise damages from data breaches is to instead focus the firm's efforts towards spotting hackers within a system before they cause damage, as opposed to just trying to keep them out.
»www.theinquirer.net/inqu ··· d-remark

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
»www.eweek.com/security/s ··· ity.html

»www.networkworld.com/com ··· dead-yet

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
~ Anti-virus is dead | Long live anti-virus ~
Some ramblings from Brian on the recent WSJ article.
»krebsonsecurity.com/2014 ··· tivirus/
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to 85160670

to 85160670
NoScript enhances javascript security through white-listing. I think white-listing of what folders are permitted to contain executables is the future for Windows. The part that is unclear to me is how to handle installs, which seem to like executing from temp directories.

I guess a brief window from the default policy of white-listing to permit the installation, followed by resumption of the white-listing?