share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

What do people think of Avast?

I have been thinking of going to another Antivirus product and have been looking at Avast. What do people think of it? Do I even need more than the free version?
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08

I've used Avast thru the years since back in it's early days, and it's very good, however, IMO, it suffers terribly in recent years from feature creep... I won't use it anymore mostly for that reason.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to trparky

Bloat for sure, versions 4,5 & 6 were fine.
I don't dare run anything later than 7.1429 on my Wn7, I7 laptop or startup times are nearly endless.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to trparky

I put it on "non tech savvy" peoples computers... as it does a decent job of explaining what is going on (and a somewhat scammy job of trying to get you to switch to premium).

I personally use it on all my android devices as an app screener.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
reply to gwalk

said by gwalk:

I7 laptop or startup times are nearly endless.

I have an SSD as my boot drive so boot times are nearly non-existent for me.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to gwalk

said by gwalk:

I don't dare run anything later than 7.1429 on my Wn7, I7 laptop or startup times are nearly endless.

It works fine for my systems.

However for years, in most versions the automatic update starts too early in the starting process and can really affect low resource computers to the point they freeze or look like it.
To be honest some low resource computers do not even initiate the network connection and locks up.
I wish the timer for allowing the update was in minutes rather than seconds.
Updates should not affect the rest of the system.

Just turning off automatic update might give you better start-up times.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
reply to Kerodo

Im about to that point. I have AIS and recently it has started blocking connections to my local DNS/FILE/AD Domain server.
--
IPv6 Sage - ipv6.he.net/certification/scoresheet.php?pass_name=Napsterbater
www.napshome.net

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to trparky

I've been using it for many years. They keep adding more features to it which I don't always like, but it still works fine for me. I have a slow startup time for my laptop with a 5400 RPM HDD anyway. I have the latest version of Avast installed. I do use the Pro version (not sure if that makes a difference).

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT
reply to trparky

I used to use it for years (and swore by it), until it failed and let through the Windows Anti-Virus virus.

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

Do I even need more than the free version?

No.....I'm not sure you personally need an AV at all.

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA

2 recommendations

reply to trparky

If you choose the custom install, you can limit the amount of "extras" it would normally bring along for the ride. Lately, when I install it anywhere, I only install the File System Shield and Web Shield. Runs fine that way.

If you decide to install it, watch for it trying to install Google Chrome. It's pre-checked to install.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to georgermct

said by georgermct:

I used to use it for years (and swore by it), until it failed and let through the Windows Anti-Virus virus.

But that was not a virus, todays threats are commonly malware, executables, Java exploits and such. Traditional AV programs won't stop those threats.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to trparky

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Kerodo See Profile. I've been using it for years, started off with the free version and went to the paid version when they had a good offer.

I will be switching when my subscription expires due to them wanting to up sell me and install Chrome on every update. My opinion is that I paid for your product, don't ticket me off with ads and add on garbage. With Symantec's recent revelation that anti-virus is dead, I'll probably run with nothing other than Windows Defender. A lot of that has to do with my usage not being high risk.

That all said, I installed it on my father's machine and when something did get through it was able to be cleaned off with an update that came a few days later.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to trparky

I've been using it since the 4.8 days. I currently have 8.0 something version but will not upgrade to 9 no matter how many times it asks. As others have said, they have gotten more bloated , which I am not too thrilled about, but I will continue to use them (nonetheless).
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Sportsfan

join:2012-03-26
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to trparky

I got rid of it this year after using it since 2004 because of the increasing amount of bloatware ("Grime" fighter, "Safe" price, etc.) and incessant upselling, even for paid users. I'm finding MSE sufficient for now, but if I felt the need for another free AV, I would seriously consider Avira.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

Except that MSE has consistently ranked among the lowest on the antivirus rankings.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to trparky

Recent (post v5) bloat made me a non-fan, but it's the most effective free AV I can find. It has stopped things that AVG, and MSE let pass by.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

1 recommendation

reply to trparky

I used to run it but found that it didn't play well with some of the other layered security things I had running. So now I use something else that does play well.

Dr Tweak

join:2004-09-23
Chesapeake, VA
reply to trparky

It's the best out there in my opinion. All things considered i.e. detection rate, light on your system, trouble free. The only bloat is if you do a default install, you need to do a custom install and it runs flawless, I use it for all of my clients and have zero issues. Try my setup guide HERE, it even has my custom settings file for you to download.

Simplicity
Premium
join:2014-04-21
reply to trparky

I have is on my OS X machine and my Windows 7 one.

No problems or complaints at all about OS X version. The Windows versions protects well but it want's constantly sell you something or give your some other unnecessary nag screens. Many of the nag screens can be eliminated by placing the Avast user settings to the gaming setting.

However, it's mildly annoying that one has to do deal with their distractions especially since the OS X is you don't have to do anything with it other than upgrade to a newer program version when it comes up which is painless and infrequent. It automatically updates the virus definitions.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to trparky

I put Avast on my sister's WinXP PC last month when Microsoft yanked support for XP and MSE running on XP. I may wind up regretting doing that , but I haven't heard any complaints yet. Her machine has an AMD Phenom II x2 550 Black Edition processor, 2GB RAM, a 7-8 year old 200GB 7200RPM HDD, a Gigabyte motherboard (I had to replace the motherboard, processor and RAM 4 years ago when the previous motherboard died).

Is there anything better than Avast for her PC?

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to trparky

There's always kim See Profile's AV Poll
»2014 AV Poll

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
reply to trparky

I think if Avast if used by a lot of people it's going to be just as effective and ineffective as any other mainstream Antivirus. I think any popular AV will be targeted by malware writers in a way where they will test their malware against the program you guys commonly use and make sure it doesn't set off any alarms before they release it into the wild. I'm not an expert like a lot of security gurus in here are, but the simple fact is that AV has two components for detection. Signature and heuristics. Signature is reactive which is typically useless with new threats and with heuristics if they have access to the popular AV's you use all they have to do is alter the malware to where it doesn't set it off. Simple, straight forward approach to make new malware undetectable by any AV.

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
reply to trparky

Been using since 2006. I replaced AVG with it when I started having some issues. Have never had a issue with Avast. Very good AV. And I still use the Freeware version.

But it is a matter of choice. Several good ones out there in Freeware and Shareware.

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
reply to trparky

I like Avast. Quite effective but, Just did the renew free for another year.
Did my usual mashing of keys for the renewal, As I do not link to all that Avast cloud stuff.
Up pops the dialog screen of the Avast store to pay for the free upgrade? With offers of other components to buy.
I 'X' them out. Oh look, It was already renewed for the full free year.

I dumped free AVG years ago because of hiding the free version at renewal time.
Time to move on, I guess.

If I was one of those 'keeps getting infected weekly', I would buy the paid version. But I'm not prone to infections. The most I've gotten in years is that little tag along bug in free software installer. Which is easy to clean out. I click 'customize install'(when available) all the time now.
--
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
reply to trparky

Well, I installed it and it seems to not be effecting my every day computing habits. It sits there, silent as ever. Just what a good AV software package should be; silent until something bad happens.

Can't say that about Webroot that I had before. It had some kind of built-in identity protection in the program that more often than not completely broke the Windows clipboard and turning it off only made the program nag me more. So, I kicked it to the curb even though I still have a year and a half of subscription left on my account. You couldn't pay me to put that intrusive piece of crap back on my computer.

I haven't seen any slowdowns when it comes to the normal operation of my computer with Avast either. Then again, I have rather decent hardware to play with (SSD boot drive, Core i5, 16 GBs of RAM, etc.) and there's very little out there that can make this machine beg for mercy.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

rlt2562
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium
join:2002-12-23
Haughton, LA
kudos:1
reply to trparky

I switched to Avast a few years ago, works very well for me with my low-risk browsing habits. It also has a boot-time scan (don't know if anyone else has this or not).

I also run Malwarebytes once a month for other critters that invade courtesy of my wife's clicking habits.
--
Well, I'M not The Kirk, tell ME what your function is!

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
reply to trparky

AVG > Avast IMHO

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to norwegian

Open Avast and go to settings-troubleshooting. Put a check mark next to "Load Avast services only after loading other system services".
--
»www.teknonerd.com

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dispatcher21:

Open Avast and go to settings-troubleshooting. Put a check mark next to "Load Avast services only after loading other system services".

Thanks for the tip. Sneaky little turds putting it under troubleshooting. A fine example of tweaking Avast to suit one's needs. I have most of the gunk disabled in Avast so it works very well on my XP Pro machine.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings, Stop Overfishing