gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky

Re: What do people think of Avast?

Bloat for sure, versions 4,5 & 6 were fine.
I don't dare run anything later than 7.1429 on my Wn7, I7 laptop or startup times are nearly endless.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

said by gwalk:

I7 laptop or startup times are nearly endless.

I have an SSD as my boot drive so boot times are nearly non-existent for me.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to gwalk

Premium Member

to gwalk
said by gwalk:

I don't dare run anything later than 7.1429 on my Wn7, I7 laptop or startup times are nearly endless.

It works fine for my systems.

However for years, in most versions the automatic update starts too early in the starting process and can really affect low resource computers to the point they freeze or look like it.
To be honest some low resource computers do not even initiate the network connection and locks up.
I wish the timer for allowing the update was in minutes rather than seconds.
Updates should not affect the rest of the system.

Just turning off automatic update might give you better start-up times.

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?
join:2004-01-22
united state

1 recommendation

dispatcher21

Open Avast and go to settings-troubleshooting. Put a check mark next to "Load Avast services only after loading other system services".

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

said by dispatcher21:

Open Avast and go to settings-troubleshooting. Put a check mark next to "Load Avast services only after loading other system services".

Thanks for the tip. Sneaky little turds putting it under troubleshooting. A fine example of tweaking Avast to suit one's needs. I have most of the gunk disabled in Avast so it works very well on my XP Pro machine.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to dispatcher21

Premium Member

to dispatcher21
said by dispatcher21:

I understand you can do this.
I will have to check if it helps the update resource hog.
Loading after actually lowers protection too - you have to find a happy medium, but malware that modifies low down can get in first if it is injected into a windows service before the A/V loads.

However I have known many people who do not use computers much, try to get internet access and find they can not do anything due to the resources the updater uses, even stopping them trying to get online to pay for pre-paid internet via usb wireless dongle with the ISP.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the product but this issue is and has been around for sometime in various versions.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

said by dispatcher21:

Loading after actually lowers protection too - you have to find a happy medium, but malware that modifies low down can get in first if it is injected into a windows service before the A/V loads.

Yes, that's true but if you are firewalled I don't see how that can happen during boot-up? Any infection would have to be already loaded into your machine to bypass your protections, correct?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by dolphins:

Yes, that's true but if you are firewalled I don't see how that can happen during boot-up? Any infection would have to be already loaded into your machine to bypass your protections, correct?

And which could have snuck in during your most recent previous session, under the radar, because it was a brand new piece of sh!t malware which had not yet been catalogued into the definitions database, in which case it might not matter exactly when Avast loads during your startup.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

If you were in a commercial enviroment.

However, Avast free or even Avast A/V paid for a general home user will not be firewalled at all.
Outbound is not protected in a general O/S for consumers, unless it is configured as such.

Also, if you have a bootkit/rootkit or similar from a script in an exploited browsing session, a firewall protecting the winsock would be more than likely not be firewalling anyone.
The rootkit would and could run the connection.