spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

UVerse Homes With Stucutured Wiring

I don't UVerse triple play, but I was just curious how does UVerse use homes with structured wiring? Do they run a Cat 5/6 cable from the NID/ONT to the structured wiring cabinet? If so do they hook it into the Ethernet switch then run a Cat 5/6 cable to the RG that they would put in the Structured Wiring Cabinet? and then do all the Ethernet outlets in the home become UVerse triple play ready? Or are homes that have been recently built already UVerse triple play ready? Also would Ethernet outlets connect to each other and work independently say if a set-top box went down? Also does UVerse only run a Cat 5/6 cable to the RG and not use the phone or cable outlet any more for the RG?

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

If I hadn't upgraded from Max Turbo to Power, my RG would still be connected to NID thru a segment of bad old internal phone wiring. Must be many preexisting customers, happy with their stable sub-Power tier service, still getting RG DSL data via internal wiring; perhaps others that refuse to let ATT tech install a cat5e for them; perhaps others where tech themselves declines to attempt the cat5e install.

ATT seems to be taking advantage of more opportunities to convert installs to use dedicated cat5e from NID to RG; to eliminate or reduce use of coax; and isolate data line from the internal phone wiring either totally or at least via whole-house filter in the NID.

Dedicated cat5e, with least amount of jacks or interconnect is best. Some folks insist on going thru a patch panel. Cannot go thru a switch (between NID and RG). RG can be put in whatever cabinet you want, if dedicated cat5e from the NID can be run to it. Its LAN ports can drive your own ethernet runs and your own switch mostly however you desire.

I'd expect a home prewired for ethernet is mostly in a star configuration: Each run from the cabinet to an outlet is independent. Or is "structured wiring" designed to be able to make and break connections, to reassemble segments in the walls to achieve direct connections between any two desired rooms at will?

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to Craiger

Premium Member

to Craiger

It was messy I know...
Granted, I did the structured wiring myself, and this is an older picture (no longer have the 3800 on the wall and the temp cables everywhere) but it gives you a sense of what they would do for a pure Ethernet install...

I used blue CAT6 patch cables for Data outlets, and orange for TV outlets, and on the wall the TV outlet is also orange.

Most newer homes with structured wiring should already have a CAT5 homerun to the panel from the NID as part of the install... Ones that I've worked on since 2004-5 around here had at least that. My house was 1999 and had CAT3 daisy-chained everywhere for phone (replaced with CAT5 so if I needed a quick network connection I could swap it at the panel)

Depending on the setup, they would use a pair from the NID in, connect it to the modem, select another pair back out to the nid to attach to phones or use the jack in the modem to plug into the phone bridge board.

Ethernet by nature is point to point connection. If a STB goes down, it would not affect the others. If the DVR goes down, you can't see recorded shows, but other STBs should still work. If the gateway goes down, then everything is down.

ortizdr
The One the Only
join:2014-01-15
North Richland Hills, TX

ortizdr

What are you using that fiber pair for?

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

A rack in my office that has a 24 port switch and a couple servers. I could have done CAT6 but I wanted to play with fiber

ortizdr
The One the Only
join:2014-01-15
North Richland Hills, TX

ortizdr

nice!
Lorob
join:2003-06-30
Vista, CA

Lorob to Craiger

to Craiger
brookeKrige, thanks for post. I am still waiting for UVerse to be offered and in the meantime wondered where modem would go. For my DSL I keep modem/router in my office for ease of visibility over the status lights. From your picture the modem looks like a fully enclosed box with no indicator lights. If so, I would do the same. Where is your router? Wished I had thought of some of the design elements you used. Thanks!

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

To use book binding terms, most u-verse RG's have ports along the fore edge, and LED status lights along spine. Image search for "3800HGV leds" for example.