Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vorg
Premium
join:2002-06-18
Tucson, AZ

new topic DOCSIS 3.0/3.1?

I have an SB5100 which still works fine though cox tries to say it's my modem when ever there is a problem until a day or two latter when they have an area outage. When the 3.0 modems started being used, first they were 4 channel, then 8 channel and it took awhile to fix the firmware (avoid v1 of anything). I've been thinking about getting a the 6141 they are selling at Costco. But Now I'm wondering if I should wait and save my money for a 3.1 modem.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

Re: new topic9;DOCSIS 3.0/3.1?

I say buy now. DOCSIS 3.1 is at-least 6 months away, and even then it will only be available in some area's, for the top tier. SB6141 goes for 82$ on Newegg.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···25390001

Vorg
Premium
Tucson, AZ

It's $74 at Costco and they have an unconditional return policy.

And money is always very tight for me. If I only need to get by a few more months to get next gen tech, it will be that much longer before I need to replace again.

Another question, Are they still requiring a service call/setup to connect a 3.0 modem in Tucson? or can I just get it and call in the number to activate it?

catchingup

@135.23.225.x

3 recommendations

reply to Hard Harry

said by Hard Harry:

I say buy now. DOCSIS 3.1 is at-least 6 months away, and even then it will only be available in some area's, for the top tier. SB6141 goes for 82$ on Newegg.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···25390001

DOCSIS 3.1 is more like 2-3 years away.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Vorg

not unconditional on electronics.
--
Despises any post with strings.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to catchingup

I was going by the 1Gbps by end of year announcement. My guess Phoenix will be first test market with Google moving in on Cox's footprint. How could Cox do it without DOCSIS 3.1? FTTP?

»www.bloomberg.com/video/cox-plan···trA.html

InTUcson

@68.106.20.x
reply to Vorg

said by Vorg:

It's $74 at Costco and they have an unconditional return policy.

And money is always very tight for me. If I only need to get by a few more months to get next gen tech, it will be that much longer before I need to replace again.

Another question, Are they still requiring a service call/setup to connect a 3.0 modem in Tucson? or can I just get it and call in the number to activate it?

You can just call the numbers in.
If you have premiere just ask them to change your Internet Code to the 50meg code.
Only need a tech out if you want Ultimate Internet.

Anonguy

@68.106.20.x
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

not unconditional on electronics.

Only applies to:

The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touchscreen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

All other electronics they sell are unconditional

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit
reply to Hard Harry

Qwest in Omaha offers 1 gig service also, so could be Omaha also.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to Vorg

they only require pro install if you want a D3 tier, but Premiere or lower can install thier own D3 modem.

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10

2 recommendations

reply to Vorg

You're not going to see D3.1 devices in bulk for a couple years yet, IMHO.

Even then, you'll only need them for super-fast tiers.

Upgrading off that SB5100 to a 6141 is a good idea at this point and $74 is a good price point. That 6141 should last you for quite a few years.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Any idea how they are going to offer 1Gbps? In the video he mentioned Cox Business, which does offer 1Gbps already, but only on COI. Is Cox thinking about leveraging its CB fiber group for FTTP? Or is DOCSIS 3.1 just going to be used in small numbers?

Maltz

join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR

24- or 32-channel DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems can do 1Gbps. 24's are out now, and 32's are coming late this year, from what I understand. That lines up with well Cox's timeline.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

But there are areas where people cant even get 100Mbps because of congestion, using 8 channels. 32 channels might give hypothetical throughput, but do you really think Cox can deliver without upgrading more of their infracture? Unless that means analog cable is going by end of year, which would free up the bandwidth.

Maltz

join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR

1 recommendation

Increasing from 8 to 32 channels IS upgrading their infrastructure, at least in the context of node-level congestion. If you're talking about their larger network... They're starting to roll it out in 2014, but it will be a while before we all see it. So yeah, some other upgrades would have to be made, but that is an ever-ongoing process anyway for an ISP.

But you may be right about analog cable going away to make room. I actually think that it's the right move. Analog uses FAR more bandwidth than digital. I don't think it's inappropriate to charge more (in the form of a cable box) to accommodate customers who still require it.

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20
reply to Vorg

$35 bucks

»www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Surfbo···27560985

Vorg
Premium
Tucson, AZ

Notice that is " Seller refurbished" meaning it's a used modem someone cleaned the dust off of to unload on ebay. Might be ok, might be a headache.

I think the 4180 is the one with wifi and router which would be a tempting model, but I try to avoid wifi and have a 4 port router that feeds a 16 port. All 100Mb though..

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20

said by Vorg:

Notice that is " Seller refurbished" meaning it's a used modem someone cleaned the dust off of to unload on ebay. Might be ok, might be a headache.

I think the 4180 is the one with wifi and router which would be a tempting model, but I try to avoid wifi and have a 4 port router that feeds a 16 port. All 100Mb though..

Very true. Seems to be a reputable seller looking through reviews, but I find it a little hard to believe they would sell these for 35 bucks (normally $115 on amazon). May be worth a shot though since youll be protected by paypal

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Vorg

said by Vorg:

I think the 4180 is the one with wifi and router

I think you might be confusing the SB6180(8x4 modem with 2 tuners) the SBG6580 (8x4 wireless gateway with dual capture tuner). SB6180 is a great modem, and IMHO better then the now arris manufacturer SB6141.

Vorg
Premium
Tucson, AZ

hmm, so many models...
And now I'm not sure if that Costco modem was a 6141 or 6121. Guess I need to start compairing them all again.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Hard Harry

ive heard mesa, tempe. nothing phoenix yet.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ajwees41

call it the 'so you want the best tax'
because we can[whats keeping me off record6]
eventually cox will allow me to plug in my own box and screw my own coax.
this 'because we can' garbage will go way of dodo.
they're losing revenue on these plans due to because we can crap.
smart people aren't going to bite.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ajwees41

everyone offers fibre to the press release. who if anyone is ACTUALLY offering gig SERVICE!
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ajwees41

its so u want the best tax.
the only diff is "maxbps=150000000bps" versus a "maxbps=50000000"
in the config file.
--

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
reply to Hard Harry

said by Hard Harry:

How could Cox do it without DOCSIS 3.1? FTTP?

use a 24ch modem. The current Cisco CMTS can support 24x8 serving groups

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
reply to Maltz

said by Maltz:

Increasing from 8 to 32 channels IS upgrading their infrastructure, at least in the context of node-level congestion.

no...Node level congestion is the maxing if the downstream carriers. adding more downstream carriers can alleviate because you are adding more channel capacity, or bandwidth per serving group.

In this instance, based on what was publicly stated at NCTA by Kevin Hart, Cox is going to be following the Comcast model of moving to all digital which will allow them to free up analog channels for use as DOCSIS carriers.

TWC's Mike Lajoi stated during the same panel session that Hart was on that they plan to implement 24ch downstreams everywhere...I expect that Cox is doing the same given Esser's statements. Since their Cisco CMTSs can support 24x8 serving groups today, this will give them 1Gig capabilities, at least in the downstream

Vorg
Premium
Tucson, AZ
reply to Hard Harry

said by Hard Harry:

said by Vorg:

I think the 4180 is the one with wifi and router

I think you might be confusing the SB6180(8x4 modem with 2 tuners) the SBG6580 (8x4 wireless gateway with dual capture tuner). SB6180 is a great modem, and IMHO better then the now arris manufacturer SB6141.

Tried looking up the modems on the motorola site and the few links that worked went to this Arris site. Did they buy out the cable modem line?

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Vorg:

Did they buy out the cable modem line?

»moto.arrisi.com/special/learn_more/arris.asp

Motorola being bought by Arris was on par with Linksys being bought by Belkin. Ick

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by Hard Harry:

said by Vorg:

Motorola being bought by Arris was on par with Linksys being bought by Belkin. Ick

I've got an ARRIS made 6141 and I've not had a single issue with it. Before that, I had 2 ARRIS branded EMTAs and had no problems with those either.

Why do you find ARRIS making Moto stuff disgusting?

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Hard Harry

said by Hard Harry:

said by Vorg:

So who will be considered the premium modem now? Cisco?