spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ivordurham
join:2002-11-02
Los Altos, CA

ivordurham

3600HGV + Cisco-Linksys E4200 IPv6 assignment address problem

I switched to U-verse from DSL last week for a higher connection speed and have two related questions concerning IPv6 support, the answer to either one of which would solve my problem: AT&T enabled IPv6 in the 3600HGV since my Hurricane Electric tunnel broke with U-verse. I set up the E4200 with the router behind a router/DMZPlus configuration. The E4200 is set for automatic IPv6 configuration. It gets assigned a link-local address for the 3600HGV, but no DNS. While IPv4 works as expected on the LAN connected to the E4200, the connected devices are not getting global unicast addresses assigned, just their link-local IPv6 addresses. I enabled DHCPv6 in the 3600 but that didn't help. In contrast, at another site I have a similar situation with an E1200 connected to a HughesNet Gen4 router via DHCP and the automatic IPv6 configuration works as expected, with the devices getting global unicast addresses assigned properly. I've temporarily removed the E4200 and am using the 3600HGV directly so I can access external IPv6 destinations, but the problem is the 3600 firewall does not seem to have the IPv6 functionality of the E4200 to enable external access to an IPv6 device on my LAN. So the question is either how do I restore full IPv6 functionality on the E4200 behind the 3600HGV OR how do I configure the 3600HGV to pass specific IPv6 addresses/ports since the firewall configuration options appear to be limited to port-forwarding for IPv4.

mindlesstux
join:2004-09-20
Wake Forest, NC
ARRIS SB6183
MikroTik hAP AC

1 recommendation

mindlesstux

At last check the firmware that they pushed out not that long ago, broke HE.net tunnels and would be what I call feature incomplete for IPv6.

To solve the issue for me (and solve another problem I had at the same time, not related to IPv6) I picked up a VPN account and routed my HE tunnel through that. Not the prefect solution but gets the job done.

See following threads for some "light" reading
»AT&T now blocking IPv6 tunnels
»IPv6 rollouts halted
»IPv6 tunnel still broken on ATT Uverse
»AT&T blocking IPv6 tunnels -- update
»Att U-verse IPv6

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

1 edit

1 recommendation

rolande to ivordurham

MVM,

to ivordurham
If you want to run IPv6 behind a DMZ+/IP Passthrough router with Uverse, you have to enabled DHCP-PD on the downstream router to acquire a Global Unicast IPv6 prefix to delegate. I know it works on the NVG589 in IP Passthrough mode. I do not know if it is working on the Pace/2Wire RG devices yet in DMZ+ mode.

Personally, I would recommend against trying to use the 6rd IPv6 tunnel on the 2Wire RGs for now, until the security and stability issues are fixed with new firmware.
ivordurham
join:2002-11-02
Los Altos, CA

1 recommendation

ivordurham

With the current 3600HGV firmware and the E4200 configured as the DMZ+ device getting its address via DHCP, the E4200 gets its own Global Unicast address, but not a prefix to delegate. There is no separate DHCP-PD configuration option on the E4200, so I'm assuming it is automatic. The prefix was configured manually with the HE tunnel. So until the 3600HGV firmware is updated I've changed the E4200 to bridge mode to be able to use wireless N and all LAN devices are getting Global Unicast addresses properly from the 3600HGV. The only thing I cannot do now is configure the 3600HGV firewall to pass through incoming IPv6 connections to specific devices, which is a hindrance for testing, but not a show-stopper for my current project. I can make progress as long as I can reach an IPv6-only site and that I can do that with the current firmware.