Search similar:

uniqs
Neil K
join:2014-05-07
Canada

1 edit

Neil K

Acanac: Long,non-refunded service interruption if U pay them in advance

I was without internet service for a month, from April 9 to May 6, 2014.

The Acanac "tech" first told me on the phone the "problem" might be 3 different modems SIMULTANEOUSLY conking out !

Once again, for the third time in as many years, I was informed Acanac might "take" $100 out of my 3 month advance payment amount... should the Bell tech discover a wiring problem in the apartment.

No problem with that, except EXACTLY two years earlier ( practically on the same date, April, 10, 2012 ) the same "failure" occurred - after that, the wiring in the apartment was ( possibly unnecessarily ) changed, and for all intents and purposes was now as good as new.

Or should have been.

Now I don't believe in coincidences, either with dates or basically new, Bell tech installed wiring again causing internet disruptions

I had read on these forums horror stories of Acanac customers without internet for weeks or even months, and the slick, "masters of the dodge" Acanac salespeople/tech support reluctant to issue refunds for interruptions.

As if by a miracle ( lol ) once i informed Acanac staff I was complaining to the BBB/CRTC ( as another user here suggested) the service was 'miraculously' restored !!!!

And without any service tech visit.

You draw your own conclusions on that.....

An Acanac employee Called Natasha P. informed me by email I would NOT get a rebate/credit for the one month of trouble and service disruption I was put through ( for the second time in two years !) She said THAT was because I did 'not inform them in advance" I was cancelling my account with them.

How can a customer know in advance their service would be disrupted, eventually prompting a request to cancel all services and terminate the account ?

The company had already owed me for four weeks of non-credited "downtime"

So I'm fighting that now.

The moral of the story ? Don't go with Acanac, unless you want frequent and non-credited service interruptions, accompanied by mean spirited and dismissive Acanac customer "support", and continual requests to cough up $100 for dubious Bell repairs.

If you MUST go with them, don't pay them far in advance, ( like for 3,6, or 12 month terms) as you risk the company keeping your money for themselves and you getting little or no internet for months. THAT'S a vulnerable situation presumably no one wants to endure

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

Hi Neil K

Can you please reply to your post on the Acanac Community Forum.

Thank you.
Fergless

Fergless

Premium Member

Just a heads up for anyone reading this topic.

Neil's DSL account has been extended 2 months compensation for his troubles.

Tks.
Neil K
Canada

2 edits

Neil K

Fair enough, though the 2 months service extension is NOT free, rather Acanac owed this, both for the last month and from April and October 2012.

The $120 I payed a computer store vendor six days ago, for a second hand laptop meant specifically for use in public places as a safeguard against the now regular, lengthy, suspect service interruptions, is NOT refundable.

The usual costumer complaint route, i.e, calling or emailing customer support, has approximately the same outcome as running up full throttle against a brick wall. Unacceptable.

Furthermore, no one from the company has explained yet why a large number of loyal, long term customers have had their service cut abruptly, and without notice,often only hours after receiving confirmation of payment for the 3, 6, or 12 month terms.

It is NOT a demarcation line/faulty wiring issue, at least in this case, and probably in most others. Yet, customer support continually tout this line, especially the $100 line 'repair" angle.

And in retrospect, I also doubt damaged/faulty wiring was the culprit in 2012. Yet, Bell replaced the wiring here anyway.

Could be overzealous promotion of Bell "repair" services, traffic management abuse, etc.

In any case, its an issue for government agencies to deal with at this point.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

2 edits

Fergless to Neil K

Premium Member

to Neil K
Thanks for your input Neil.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy to Neil K

to Neil K
Ok, I totally understand about issues, went through a couple myself when I moved and I would likely be irate with a month long outage, HOWEVER $120 because you went out and bought a laptop to use on public wifi? That is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

They gave you 2 months credit for a 1 month outage, I would say that is more that fair. Suggesting that they are promoting having a Bell tech come out to resolve issues unnecessarily, well that just puts it over the top. They have no incentive to do so. They make $0 on a bell tech coming to visit you.

Every third party out there has stories like these. That may be true you say, but why does Acanac have so many, you ask? 350,000-400,000 subs is why. I would say that the 1 or 2 of these guys (though I do have to admit that Acanac seems to attract the "super-duper special" ones such as this guy) that have issues makes for an extremely relatively small portion of the Acanac population. In fact, I don't know any other company out there that can bost a stat like that.

I just implore both the OP and all of you to take this all with a grain of salt. Even the OP, once he calms down will realize this rant for what it is, an over-exaggerated post and over-the-top antics.

In the end, yes the OP had issues. In the end, yes they went on much longer than they should have. In the end, Acanac doubled the refund that he deserved because of it. I would say that is pretty top-shelf customer service, IMHO. I would also say that if you look in any of the third-parties forums that you will find many stories similar to this one in multitude. This simple fact is that third-parties are more often than not, at the mercy of the incumbent and resolving issues such as these are not so easily resolvable. There is a reason that third parties are cheaper than incumbents and people need to realize this.
Neil K
Canada

3 edits

Neil K

Nice try Redneck, but this was the SECOND major service disruption ( oh that's right, I forgot, you're NOT an employee/affiliate of Acanac so you wouldn't have known that ! ).

The first disruption was in almost identical circumstances and time frame . It went on for 6 weeks.

So I didn't get any free candy here.... the 2 month credit covered both this past month's trouble, plus 4 weeks previously uncredited "downtime" during 2 months in 2012.

Under these circumstances....and combined with the uniformly dismissive, smug customer support response....making for a grand total of 3 months service disruption in two and a half years.... who wouldn't purchase a laptop or tablet to ensure continual internet service ?

"Suggesting that they are promoting having a Bell tech come out to resolve issues unnecessarily, well that just puts it over the top."

lol....right....perhaps even conspiracy theory ? Sorry for spoiling your next line.

Folks who read this ( especially those having their cars/computers repaired ) might well be aware that service based enterprises often embellish ( indeed, create ) technical problems to secure more profits.

That is known as business policy, in case you're unaware.

The agencies contacted, as I explained before, will look into this matter ...if the issue is not Bell "repair" related, it could be traffic management tactics.

Anyone possessing minimal brain activity would not be hoodwinked by your less than subtle public relations pitch.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by Neil K:

Nice try Redneck, but this was the SECOND major service disruption ( oh that's right, I forgot, you're NOT an employee/affiliate of Acanac so you wouldn't have known that ).

The first disruption was in almost identical circumstances and time frame . It went on for 6 weeks.

So lets see, I didn't get any free candy apples here.... the 2 month credit covered both this past month's trouble plus 4 weeks previously uncredited "downtime" from 2 months in 2012.

Under these circumstances....and combined with the dismissive, smug customer support attitude....making for a grand total of 3 months service disruption in two and a half years.... who wouldn't stock up on laptops or tablets to ensure continual internet service.

"Suggesting that they are promoting having a Bell tech come out to resolve issues unnecessarily, well that just puts it over the top."

lol....right....perhaps even conspiracy theory ? Sorry for spoiling your next line.

Folks who read this ( especially those regularly have cars repaired ) might well be aware that service based enterprises often embellish problems ( indeed, sometimes create them ) to secure more profits.

That is known as business in case you're unaware.

The agencies contacted, as I explained before, will look into this matter ...if the issue is not Bell "repairmen" it could be related to traffic management tactics.

Take your none so subtle public relations elsewhere.....you're not fooling anyone here.

Normally I wouldn't say this, but you are one of "those" kind of people. I think you would be best served by going with an incumbent versus a third party.....good luck in the future Neil K, I believe you will very much need it.
chall2k56
join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

chall2k56 to Neil K

to Neil K
Neil, have you added your comments to the CRTC public consultation for wholesale services?

This is precisely why we need the CRTC to grow a pair, and allow GAS/TPIA providers to have full access to the incumbents network tools

Rednek and myself are both just customers, we both read the entire topic and your situation BEFORE making any comments, and as such, we both are very knowledgeable in helping to fix some issues.

I myself have had issues, missed Rogers Techs, DSL sync issues (Caused by Bell), and outages caused by fiber cuts.

I prefer cable for my area, although VDSL is finally available at my location.
Expand your moderator at work
Neil K
Canada

Neil K to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy

Re: Acanac: Long,non-refunded service interruption if U pay them in advance

And anybody possessing just a modicum of thought process will figure out what you're up to here.

The customer pays for a service, the business then gives them what they pay for, without service disruption or unnecessarily extra, $100 "repair" fee requests.

The company credits without delay any "downtime" to the customer, who will then not have to move heaven and earth to obtain the credit otherwise.

Its a simple formula which makes the customer happy, and assures the business of customer retention.

Try it sometime.

Try the incumbent instead next time ? As if the customer won't encounter the same problem there. I should know, having used the 'incumbent" before switching to this company.
chall2k56
Edmonton, AB

chall2k56

said by Neil K:

The company credits without delay any "downtime" to the customer, who will then not have to move heaven and earth to obtain the credit otherwise.

That line is NOT in the TOS you agreed to when signing up, as Acanac still pays the incumbent for the line for the duration of the outage. Any credits issued come out of the already small profit margin from the plans they sell
Neil K
Canada

Neil K to Fergless

to Fergless
For the record of existing Acanac customers...or potential new ones:

The service here has again been cut....after Fergless previously stated I would receive an extra 2 months service as compensation.

No service since May 17, 2014

Buyer beware !

Thanks for your input, Fergless
Neil K

Neil K to Fergless

to Fergless
NOT so, Fergless, service here has been cut again....since May 17, 2014

I`m not into power games with anyone here.

please restore the service or issue full refund of $172.28
Neil K

1 edit

Neil K to chall2k56

to chall2k56
So you`re saying the company is not obligated to provide already paid for service ?

I don`t think so.

Please don't offer up excuses like this for negligent service, it won't wash with me ( or should I say with US, given the myriad of other complaints lodged against the company.

If that were even remotely true, I think it would be of profound interest to customers who pre-pay, in some instances $600 for a full years service, believing they will get that service with Acanac.

Perhaps some ( very small ) fine print you were referring too.

Customer pays for service, company provides service in a timely manner, otherwise issues complete refund.

It couldn't be more simple than that.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

4 edits

Fergless to Neil K

Premium Member

to Neil K
It shouldn't be cut off from what I see Neil. Do you have a ticket # I could check on it?
A Support ticket is what I need, I don't have access to Complaint tickets or Feedback tickets.

Tks

PS: It shows your account was extended: I found your ticket FBI-57264.
quote:
Posted on 14 May 2014 03:18 PM
Dear Valued Client,

I have updated your account as per your request, your account was extended for 2 months. The next renewal date will be 2014-08-30.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
Perhaps it has nothing to do with billing have you checked if you have DSL on your line or opened a ticket with DSL Support?.

PS: Who is this Gerard person?
Neil K
Canada

Neil K

'P.S who is this Gerard person ?'

lol.....good that one can be pretty cavalier over a long standing customer's fully paid, now disconnected internet service, Fergless.

I don't have a ticket number as email support, as fully anticipated, have not bothered to respond to the original cut-off notice I sent them on the 22 May.

Lets summarize again...this customer paid $172.28 for 3 months of service....was cut off 36 hours after an Acanac employee notified me of receipt of payment.......cut off for a month....back for just 12 days....cut off now again one week.

So I take it the ''2 month service extension'' offer, while looking good on this forum to potential customers, I should not have taken seriously, Fergless ?

So I cancelled the account altogether and am requesting a cheque refund.

Fergless, could you direct me to a terms and conditions paragraph that states no money refunds will be issued ? As this seems to be the whole crux of the problem at hand here....the company being reluctant to provide the service it was paid to provide, and equally reluctant to refund the customer.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

2 edits

Fergless to Neil K

Premium Member

to Neil K
This is the ticket I was referring to FBI-57264 and someone replied, it didn't appear to be you, first name Gerard.
quote:
So I cancelled the account altogether and am requesting a cheque refund.

Your request will go to billing and you will be refunded accordingly.
They will answer all your questions re Terms & Conditions.

As I said before, I don't see you being cut off anywhere in the system, but you are so sure that's the issue and not a line issue, that's your prerogative.
This is your next due date as I promised 2014-08-30 if you don't believe that please call and ask, our reps will see where I added 2 months.
This is what they will find:
2014-05-07 19:50:32: extended 2 months as per paul
2014-05-07 19:27:54: Emailed Sonia re the 2 month extension.
2014-05-07 19:19:52: DO NOT CANCEL. Paul has offered the cx a 2 month extension to his account. Cx accepted I'll let billing know.

Sorry but I can't help you further.

Regards.

chall2k56
Edmonton, AB

chall2k56 to Neil K

to Neil K
Neil, if you are having these issues, contracting another provider to use the same lines will likely result in the same problems reoccurring again. We have tried to help you, and all you are willing to do is bash those who offer any sort of help.
Neil K
Canada

Neil K

"We have tried to help you, and all you are willing to do is bash those who offer any sort of help."

THE only time I was sincerely offered help was when I announced I would cancel the service ( after getting cut off for 1 month -hours after the company received payment- now another week...five weeks in total ) and receiving utterly no assistance from email or phone "support", other than fairy tales about "demarcation line issues" and a "hard sell" request to pay Bell $100 for ( now repetitive ) "repairs"

Sorry I'm not buying this "problems on the line" explanation, way too many coincidences to support that.

This is about cutting costs or similar goals.
chall2k56
Edmonton, AB

2 edits

chall2k56 to Neil K

to Neil K
If your service wont work, then you clearly have either a modem problem, a phsyical line problem, or a PPPoE login problem

The first 2 DO explain these outages, the last one doesn't, as it would have been corrected early on

or this, let the Bell Tech come, he can then either
i) fix the line for you to ensure that your line is now working properly
ii) Rule out the line and identify a possible modem issue
ii) Rule out both the line and the modem

with all this done, THEN you can point the finger back at Acanac if this all checks out

on a side note, you have never posted your DSL modem's SYNC statistics, so we can't even see if there is a potential problem on the line

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

1 edit

JC_ to Neil K

Premium Member

to Neil K
If you know where the main phone jack in your apartment is open it and disconnect the rest of your apartments wiring and than only connect up that main jack, this will eliminate all of your internal wiring. If you're still having issues call Acanac and agree to the $100 charge, you shouldn't be billed, as the main jack is the demarcation point.

The only way that you will be charged will be if there is any damage caused by you; please note that I'm not blaming you for any issues at this time just providing information.

Options if your modem doesn't work at the main jack;
1. Replace the phone cord from the wall to the modem.
2. Replace the modem, can be bought from Canada Computers provided you're not using a speed tier with a 10Mbps upload.

----

-Do you have home phone or a dry loop?
-Does your apartment have a buzzer system that rings a phone in your apartment or calls a cell phone?
Neil K
Canada

Neil K to chall2k56

to chall2k56
Chalk, its THREE ( count em`) modems I have been testing at different times to verify they are not the problem.

And they are not.

So much for the `faulty modem`angle.

``a phsyical`(sic) line problem, or a PPPoE login problem``

If there was a grain of truth to that, the internet service would not have been ( briefly) restored earlier this month, after a threat from this customer to cancel the service totally and notify the CRTC....lines don`t temporarily repair each other......

Again, the Bell `repairman`changed the wires barely two years ago......in 2010 Bell miraculously repaired, sans visit ( lol, what other explanation is there ? ) yet another service interruption ``problem`` here, after I threatened them with exposure after I was 2 weeks without service and fed up....once again, in that situation, they were earlier requesting the usual $100` "repair­'' bounty

Now whats that about faulty wires, modems, etc, again ?
Neil K

Neil K to JC_

to JC_
''The only way that you will be charged will be if there is any damage caused by you; please note that I'm not blaming you for any issues at this time just providing information.''

This is a regurgitation of what an account called chall2k56 said, and similarly falls flat on its face.

Modems working perfectly.....no damage from this end....NEW wiring.....replaced 2012.

I have cancelled the account and am expecting a refund.....AND not buying this faulty wire or modem malarkey.
Neil K

Neil K to Fergless

to Fergless
Fergless, its been a nearly a week again and no reply whatsoever from billing, as expected, really.

$172, two months ( of three ) almost up, just 20 days of service the whole time.

Looks like I better send the reports into the CCTS and Office de la Protection du Consumateur for their output.

Company seems to be buying time, so to speak.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Neil K

Premium Member

to Neil K
said by Neil K:

''The only way that you will be charged will be if there is any damage caused by you; please note that I'm not blaming you for any issues at this time just providing information.''

This is a regurgitation of what an account called chall2k56 said, and similarly falls flat on its face.

Modems working perfectly.....no damage from this end....NEW wiring.....replaced 2012.

I have cancelled the account and am expecting a refund.....AND not buying this faulty wire or modem malarkey.

Get and phone and plug it into the Jack, if the line was connected current during the initial install you should have a dial tone, if there isn't a dial tone irs likely an issue problem.

JTam
@206.248.138.x

JTam to Neil K

Anon

to Neil K
Wow! This sounds EXACTLY like my situation right now except Acanac charged me a full year last Sept. I've not had DSL service for over a week and prior to this, have had constant interruptions. I've requested cancellation and refund as well and have received neither confirmation of either.

I have submitted a report to the BBB and am here to reinforce the buyer-beware warning for anyone planning or are currently with Acanac.

For anyone at Acanac reading this: ref ticket #MQG-16439

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

quote:
For anyone at Acanac reading this: ref ticket #MQG-16439
As it was explained to you today at 13:37:51, you will need to wait for a reply to your ticket re cancelling, opened yesterday 29 May 2014 08:45 AM

It's now in retention and will go to billing in queue.

Auto Renew has been turned off on your DSL and Dry Loop.

Tks
Neil K
Canada

Neil K to JTam

to JTam
Thanks I suspected my own situation was not unusual.

Definitely buyer beware for those considering paying for the longer than one month term.

Fergless
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Fergless

Premium Member

What is unusual? Waiting?