All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RevDiff
@216.66.5.x

RevDiff

Anon

[Networking] Actiontec MI424WR revision differences?

I've searched through the forum but haven't found anything relevant only a post on the differences between revisions a through d. Please let me know if I've missed anything.

For the past few years I have been using TWC for my internet service but recently signed up for FIOS services. Now I am in the market for an Actiontek mi424wr router to avoid the rental fees.

I am signed up for 50/25 so I don't need gigabit speeds and plan to use a gigabit router for my local network. Therefore, I was looking at purchasing an older revision of the mi424wr (Rev D is what I am looking at currently as I can get one for ~$20). Come a year from now when my FIOS deal is up, I may move back to TWC depending on the deals which is why I'm trying to minimize the router/modem cost.

-Are there any major differences between revisions C through F? I realize firmware will be updated but I haven't noticed anything significant in my research.

- Does anyone have any insights in working with these different revisions?

- I talked to Verizon who told me earlier revisions were fine but can anyone offer me confirmation?

- Are there any additional issues I am not seeing?

just lou
join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY

just lou

The Revision F offers "Wireless Draft N", and has a 4x larger NAT Table. It's definitely better than the C and D revisions, and shouldn't cost much more if you're looking for a used one.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to RevDiff

to RevDiff
Hey RevDiff, will you sign up for an account and PM me?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is the difference between various FIOS routers
Click the image to enlarge.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to RevDiff

to RevDiff
Stay away from the C Revision as that had issues with a small Nat table due to the memory size. D and E basically the same, F added Pre Wireless N support and G added N Wireless support and of course gigabit ethernet. I is required for the new VMS router to work correctly.
vanderjs
join:2014-05-07

1 edit

vanderjs to More Fiber

to More Fiber
This is almost exactly what I was looking for, with the exception it is missing the earlier revisions which seem to not have too much variation. Thanks!
vanderjs

vanderjs to RevDiff

to RevDiff
said by just lou:

The Revision F offers "Wireless Draft N", and has a 4x larger NAT Table. It's definitely better than the C and D revisions, and shouldn't cost much more if you're looking for a used one.

said by bohratom:

Stay away from the C Revision as that had issues with a small Nat table due to the memory size. D and E basically the same, F added Pre Wireless N support and G added N Wireless support and of course gigabit ethernet. I is required for the new VMS router to work correctly.

Thanks for pointing this out, according to »Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is the NAT Table problem in the Actiontec?, Revision D has the NAT Table issue as well. I was planning on using another router anyways and I can use one of the configurations with my alternative router as main to avoid this.

Having draft n would be nice so if I find a cheap F I do think I will go that router and avoid the NAT Table issue all together.
vanderjs

vanderjs to nothing00

to nothing00
I made an account but unfortunately can't PM for 8 hours, If you want to shoot me an email we can go that route, otherwise I'll try sending a PM tonight.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to vanderjs

to vanderjs
said by vanderjs:

Revision D has the NAT Table issue as well

The memory on the D for NAT was doubled and fixed the issue for the vast majority of people. Only those customers with very large NAT tables had issues with Rev D. I had the Rev D for 2 years using 6+ devices with no NAT problems. Tech had a spare Rev G last year doing other work and let me swap it...

Edit: I was referring to Red E and not D. My mistake...

just lou
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

just lou

said by bohratom:

said by vanderjs:

Revision D has the NAT Table issue as well

The memory on the D for NAT was doubled and fixed the issue for the vast majority of people. Only those customers with very large NAT tables had issues with Rev D. I had the Rev D for 2 years using 6+ devices with no NAT problems. Tech had a spare Rev G last year doing other work and let me swap it...

This is the first time I've heard that the Revision D had a different NAT Table than previous revisions.

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is the NAT Table problem in the Actiontec?
vanderjs

vanderjs to bohratom

to bohratom
Oh, excellent! The d version is one of the more frequent ones I see so I'll keep it on my search list. Thanks to everyone for all the great information, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

just lou
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

1 edit

just lou

said by vanderjs:

Oh, excellent! The d version is one of the more frequent ones I see so I'll keep it on my search list. Thanks to everyone for all the great information, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

I don't believe he is correct about the D's NAT Table being increased.
vanderjs

vanderjs

Sorry, I got confused, I thought maybe additional memory would help with the NAT Table despite it being the same size. Not very familiar with NAT Tables and the inner router workings.

So back to my original statement, if I go with a Rev D I would need to setup my alternative router as the main router to avoid NAT Table issues.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to RevDiff

MVM

to RevDiff
If you're putting the Actiontec behind your router, the size of the Actiontec's NAT table doesn't make any difference since the only things connected to the Actiontec will be the STBs.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to just lou

to just lou
said by just lou:

I don't believe he is correct about the D's NAT Table being increased.

Lou is correct, I meant Rev E router was the one I used for a couple years and had a larger Nat table. I'll correct the other post I made...