Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Luggage Recommendations

The wife just got back from a trip and informed me that we need to purchase some new luggage as either the zippers or wheels are broken on every piece we have. While we don't travel a lot the wife will have a few trips a year. Looking for two carry on sized for sure and a medium and a large for longer trips. Wheels are a must, open on pricing, willing to pay for good quality.

Anyone have recommendations?
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

I've had good luck with the Samsonite Aspire series (two wheeled, not spinner) 26" and 21". They nest for storage. Not too expensive and will last a long time.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to Kilroy

Love Tumi's

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to Kilroy

Click for full size
I travel with the Eagle Creek Switchback 22 carryon and Pacsafe Venturesafe 25L daypack.
Always travel carryon only whether it's one week or two months or more.
Bought my first Switchback 22 in 1994 and put it through a lot in more than about 35 countries. Has since bought a new one in 2012 and 6 more countries since. Rolled those wheels on just about any surface from the dirt roads in village near Machu Picchu to the cobblestone streets of Rome. Rain or snow.Must have rolled those wheels a few miles through airports.
The Pacsafe is a special type of daypack.
Here's a pic of me with both on Easter Island.
Love these.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Kilroy

There are lots of good quality suppliers out there and it's really hard for anybody to tell you what one is best for you, you just need to look at what's available and make your selection based on your needs. The most important thing to remember these days is that you want to look for luggage that is lightweight! Airlines are now charging baggage fees on almost any flight and these fees are based on the weight of your luggage so if you start with a heavy suitcase your fees are just going to be that much higher!
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Kilroy

I looked here.. found the one that best suited my needs and recommended by experienced travelers then bought it. Perfectly happy with it.

»www.goodhousekeeping.com/product···reviews/

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Msradell

Actually I'm looking for two carry on bags which need to fit the:

"The maximum dimensions cannot exceed any of the following measurements: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm). All carry-on items should be stowed in an overhead bin."

Restrictions that the airlines have. Possibly also another larger checked bag that will be used for longer trips and to transport gifts and what not.

I was looking for opinions on what people have that they are happy with to start me with some direction. I have looked at the brands posted so far.

I think the Tumi's posted by chamberc See Profile are out of the race. One of the reviews I was reading was from a long time Tumi owner who was disappointed with his last two recent purchases indicating quality and design issues.

Currently looking at the Briggs & Riley Luggage 22 Inch Carry On Expandable Upright Bag, the Lifetime Warranty is a big selling point.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK

I know a lot of flight attendants and pilots with that one.
They prefer that warranty as well.
--

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN

The issue with the Eagle Creek Switchback is that I don't need the back pack option, so it is over kill and the reviews say you can't pack anything in the pack portion or it doesn't fit in the over heads.

The wife of course has the final vote on anything. I appreciate the suggestions, even I didn't go with yours it gave me an opportunity to see what's out there that works for others.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Many creative ideas with bags today. You shouldn't have a problem finding the right one.
--

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
reply to Kilroy

I agree that you're not likely to go wrong with Samsonite, but we've also had years of great service including a pounding to wheels and overstuffed zippers with Ricardo luggage available from Kohl's. Very solid construction. It sells for less than this if you time your purchase right with deeper sales including Kohl's coupons for charge customers:
»www.kohls.com/search.jsp?search=···-search=

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Kilroy

Pulled the trigger, with the wife's blessing, purchased the Briggs & Riley Luggage 22 Inch Carry On Expandable Upright Bag, one in black for me and red for the wife. The stellar reviews from owners and the lifetime warranty was the clincher. I hope that we will never have to use it, but nice to know that it is there.

I appreciate everyone's input, I did look at all of them and I want to say that Briggs & Riley was actually mentioned in one of the poor Tumi reviews. I tend to look at the bad reviews and see if I find their issues to be of a concern for me. Special thanks to dandelion See Profile, the Good Housekeeping link was very helpful.
--