The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to twizlar

Re: Do you need an AS number for BGP ..

said by twizlar:

Time to get a backhaul to a datacenter so you aren't restricted to only dealing with your ISP for such services.

I'm sure YOU know who my ISP is.. Going downhill
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

billybob2

join:2003-07-23
Moline, IL
If your ISP is going downhill, that's all the better reason to get a second ISP if it's an option at all. I assume your current provider is a large Canadian cable company? Is there simply no option to acquire connectivity via a local telco in addition to your current connection?

Poking around ARIN's database, it looks like you've already got a /23 delegated to you by your upstream which is already half the battle. If you can get the ball rolling on getting a second upstream, you can go to ARIN and request and receive your ASN, and likely also request and receive a /22 based on you providing them data that shows you've mostly used up your existing /23, and agree to renumber your network out of your old /23 and return it to your provider after receiving your /22.

Of course, all of the above assumes that both of your upstreams run BGP and will accept announcements from you.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
I have virtually no other options for ISP. No telco option. They should have delegated a /24 to me too but I guess they never did.
It's rural Ontario. . I'd have to get a link to a data center like mentioned above but it's huge money a month for something I don't really need.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

billybob2

join:2003-07-23
Moline, IL
That's a tough situation only having one upstream choice. Any options of other friendly rural ISPs that you could use as a secondary provider in order to meet the multihomed requirement? Or perhaps you could get a link to a nearby datacenter "temporarily" in order to meet the multihomed requirement. I could be wrong, but ARIN requires you to be multihomed in order to get a /22, but I don't believe they have any enforcement policy that will revoke your /22 if you are no longer multihomed in the future.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
said by billybob2:

I could be wrong, but ARIN requires you to be multihomed in order to get a /22, but I don't believe they have any enforcement policy that will revoke your /22 if you are no longer multihomed in the future.

I can confirm that to be true as of 2 years ago, as we did just that till we could build out to another new provider that could replace the one we got rid of due to price.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
ARIN is run by a bunch of fucking morons. We're in the IPV4 crap we are in today because of them and their counterparts.

We had a DS3 over a OC48 SONET and were using 13 /24s. I had an immediate need for few more /24s that we would have filled in 3 months. Our upstream wouldn't give us any more space. They refused to let us get a /20 under the single homed policy because we couldn't show we were using enough of a /20. We were stuck in a chicken or the egg problem.

Their solution was for us to get more /24s assign them and then we could turn out and get the /20 and renumber our network which means twice the work on the temporary /24s.

The other option was to buy a T1 from another provider and intend to multy home. So we had to order at T1 to multihome with an DS3. What a complete waste of money. I got my AS and /20 and pushed the order for the T1 out 6 months and then canceled the order on the T1.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
reply to Inssomniak
No doubt. From what i've heard they are doing an extremely poor job in that area.

catchingup

@135.23.225.x
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

ARIN is run by a bunch of fucking morons. We're in the IPV4 crap we are in today because of them and their counterparts.

We're in the "IPv4 crap we are in today" because v4 is not an unlimited resource.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

1 recommendation

We wouldnt be in the crap we are today if people were more interested in rolling out IPv6 instead of trying to prolong their IPv4 networks. IPv4 has a limited future.

Google sees about 3% of its query traffic from IPv6 now, and thats not a small amount...

The amount of addresses you will get from even a minimal IPv6 allocation would make your eyes water at the vastness.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
Sorry, that should have been a reply to battleop See Profile.

catchingup

@135.23.225.x
reply to TomS_
said by TomS_:

We wouldnt be in the crap we are today if people were more interested in rolling out IPv6 instead of trying to prolong their IPv4 networks. IPv4 has a limited future.

Don't you know 18 layers of duct tape is supposed to last us another 50 years.. oh wait that's only for consumer Internet connections and not taking into consideration all the other devices connected too. Still completely idiotic. I didn't touch upon what you had said but that is the other issue.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

We had a DS3 over a OC48 SONET and were using 13 /24s. I had an immediate need for few more /24s that we would have filled in 3 months. Our upstream wouldn't give us any more space. They refused to let us get a /20 under the single homed policy because we couldn't show we were using enough of a /20.

Out of curiosity, just how much is "enough" to justify a /20 in their eyes? I understand with IPv4 being scarce they are really wanting maximum utilization but you were using a good chunk of a /20 already.

With your existing 13x /24's at say 254 usable addresses each (assuming each is a separate block with individual subnet and broadcast addresses), that's 3302 addresses at your disposal. That's a little over 80% utilization already.

Throw just three more /24's and you're now up to 4064. What more did they want, 100% utilization of a /20 before they will give it to you? Just curious, but have you expanded beyond the /20 space you have now?