uniqs
share rss forum feed

Maltz

join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR

1 recommendation

reply to Hard Harry

Re: new topic9;DOCSIS 3.0/3.1?

Increasing from 8 to 32 channels IS upgrading their infrastructure, at least in the context of node-level congestion. If you're talking about their larger network... They're starting to roll it out in 2014, but it will be a while before we all see it. So yeah, some other upgrades would have to be made, but that is an ever-ongoing process anyway for an ISP.

But you may be right about analog cable going away to make room. I actually think that it's the right move. Analog uses FAR more bandwidth than digital. I don't think it's inappropriate to charge more (in the form of a cable box) to accommodate customers who still require it.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
said by Maltz:

Increasing from 8 to 32 channels IS upgrading their infrastructure, at least in the context of node-level congestion.

no...Node level congestion is the maxing if the downstream carriers. adding more downstream carriers can alleviate because you are adding more channel capacity, or bandwidth per serving group.

In this instance, based on what was publicly stated at NCTA by Kevin Hart, Cox is going to be following the Comcast model of moving to all digital which will allow them to free up analog channels for use as DOCSIS carriers.

TWC's Mike Lajoi stated during the same panel session that Hart was on that they plan to implement 24ch downstreams everywhere...I expect that Cox is doing the same given Esser's statements. Since their Cisco CMTSs can support 24x8 serving groups today, this will give them 1Gig capabilities, at least in the downstream