uniqs
Vorg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
Tucson, AZ

Vorg

Premium Member

[AZ] Outages in Tucson

A few nights ago, around midnight, internet went down for just a minute or so. Thought maybe it was just the modem getting reset after some update. Then night before last again around midnight, both internet and our phones went down for a good 45 minutes. Then again last night around midnight lasting till around 6am.

Every time I start loosing internet like this and call in, they say it's your modem dieing, it's too old (5100). But after a few nights of it, and calling in, I get a recording that they have an area outage.

What makes this time worse, is our phone went down also, so no calling out in an emergency and my mom has health problems.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Do you have telephone service with Cox using VOIP? If so, you might want to consider switching to or adding a POTS(Plain Old Telephone Service) twisted pair telephone line from a local telephone company.

I have POTS with an old style rotary phone as one of my alternate communication options. If the electric power goes out, I am usually able to still use the POTS line. If the entire pole attached telephone and electric lines get downed then I am stuck hoping my cell phone works.
Vorg
Premium Member
Tucson, AZ

Vorg

Premium Member

we switched to cox because pots was getting to be too much $$. We have a cell phone also for emergancys but not everyone does.

We have 2 lines with cox and I was kicking around switching one to magic jack but seen too many reports of problems. Also, Costco is now selling something from ooma with a $20 rebate making the unit ~$100. And the local tax/911/etc would be about $4/month. it's also $40 one fee to port the number.

huntermcdole
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Oxnard, CA

huntermcdole to Vorg

Premium Member

to Vorg
Midnight to 6am was the maintenance window a CA user was told of. Though 3 nights in a row seems odd. Sadly I am not up that late, and not on in the morning so not sure if my connection had issues.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to Vorg

to Vorg
Ooma>MagicJack. Not only do they keep a permanent record of every outgoing call you make, but they use it for advertisement purposes. No thanks

Software or the magicJack/magicJack Plus or magicJack APP softphone - the software/softphone attempts to serve local advertisements and classifieds using a completely automated process that enables us to effectively target dynamically changing content. Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call and your registration information in order to improve the relevance of the ads.

»www.magicjack.com/tos.html

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

magicjack is no magic. their underhanded biz practices. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
dvd536

dvd536 to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
THERES also the max call lengths which at the time i dropped them like a hot potato was 30 mins

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru to Vorg

Premium Member

to Vorg
There's also »www.basictalk.com/ -- a Vonage service for $10 a month.

This will not help the issue if your internet drops though. Best to get a POTS line from the local telco for emergencies.
Expand your moderator at work

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to WiFiguru

to WiFiguru

Re: [AZ] Outages in Tucson

When you say POTS, do you mean circuit switch technology? Or do you mean actual phone lines on the pole? If so, very few places still have that I believe. The closest you can get from Cox is via a NIU which runs off electricity from the pole, backed up by on pole generators.
Vorg
Premium Member
Tucson, AZ

Vorg

Premium Member

phone lines from the house to the pols that run down the ally along with power lines and cox's cable. Don't know where you are from, but land lines here are ether wire to an above ground pol to under ground cable and most of the city is pols. The power company is slowly replacing the old wood pols with metal ones.