OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to kalashnikov

Premium Member

to kalashnikov

Re: Original TWC MAXX thread - now MAXX General Discussion

That is not true when you swap out your modem you won't be experiencing those speeds until they are finish upgrading the equipment in your area.
lennoz
join:2008-12-04
Brooklyn, NY

lennoz to patt2k

to patt2k
I got the new speeds, I'm not sure if my signal levels are normal for the 200/20 plan. I did reboot the modem couple of times. SB6141 modem.

»i.imgur.com/jv6hEUC.png

jack584
join:2014-07-07

jack584

said by lennoz:

SB6141 modem.

The SB6141 is not capable of speeds over 100 Mbps on TWC's network. If you want to get the full 200/20 that you are paying for, you need a modem with 16 downstream channels, the SB6141 only has 8.

Currently the only modem you can buy that has 16 downstream channels is the SB6183, however nobody knows when they will actually start shipping, probably over a month from now, If you want to get the full 200 Mbps, your only option is to rent an Arris DG1670 from TWC until the SB6183 is available.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to lennoz

Premium Member

to lennoz
You need a new modem

TwcUpgrade
@104.162.132.x

TwcUpgrade

Anon

Speeds work fine locally at max rate. But transit links are weak. Cayman Islands was getting me very slow speeds when link should be a lot faster. Same with Singapore which has a very modern high end communications system as well.

USA to Europe was faring a little better. Seems like Time Warner cable did local plant work but outside some close by transit links, speeds are very slow elsewhere.

I hope Time Warner makes improvements to international peering.
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA

spdickey

said by TwcUpgrade :

I hope Time Warner makes improvements to international peering.

How are you sure the problem is on this side of the pond?
jestep
join:2002-12-28
Corona, CA

jestep to Maverick

to Maverick

Re: got TWC MAXX? Post your Location:

They did the same thing to me. Their answer was, "It is not our responsibility to know how fast your personally owned modem goes" WHAT!???? Made me pretty mad

Jason90405
@216.253.232.x

Jason90405 to lennoz

Anon

to lennoz

You can get the same EXACT speed on the Turbo level. Call up TWC and downgrade. You'll save $10 a month! LOL
ViperJohn
join:2000-03-23
Santa Ana, CA

1 recommendation

ViperJohn to quisp65

to quisp65
»www.twcmdu.com/los-angeles.html

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k

What leased cable modems with digital phones?

My folks just got their snail mail letter about upgrading to faster cable modems. However, they have digital phone service with standard Internet too. Which one would TWC be sending to replace Arris TM502G? Would it be a combo type of modem again with its battery (worked good this morning with a 3/three hours power outage)?
jack584

jack584

I have that same eMTA, the Arris TM502G for my phone service. I don't use it for internet though. I have my own SB6141 to use for internet. I don't have to pay a lease fee for the TM502G because if you use it as an eMTA only, TWC does not charge for it. But if you use it for both phone and internet, they charge. So because I'm using it only as an eMTA I have no modem lease fees on my account.

With standard getting bumbped to 50/5, any DOCSIS 3.0 modem will do, I suppose they could send them a modem with no eMTA built in, and have them continue to use the TM502G for phone only, or they could send them a DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA, or they could buy their own modem and keep the TM502G for phone only, making it free.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by jack584:

I have that same eMTA, the Arris TM502G for my phone service. I don't use it for internet though. I have my own SB6141 to use for internet. I don't have to pay a lease fee for the TM502G because if you use it as an eMTA only, TWC does not charge for it. But if you use it for both phone and internet, they charge. So because I'm using it only as an eMTA I have no modem lease fees on my account.

With standard getting bumbped to 50/5, any DOCSIS 3.0 modem will do, I suppose they could send them a modem with no eMTA built in, and have them continue to use the TM502G for phone only, or they could send them a DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA, or they could buy their own modem and keep the TM502G for phone only, making it free.

It's annoying to have two/2 different devices that take up space, make more heat (it's triple digits around here these days!), and use power.
jack584

jack584

Yep I'm in Southern California also, pretty hot, the eMTA is in the garage, I personally don't care if the thing burns out cause TWC will just replace it.

louise250
@24.90.142.x

louise250 to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff

nyc 10025. I got the letter 3 days ago and yesterday experienced a speed boost. i own SB6141, Apple Extreme router (being used with win 7), and a gigabyte connection on my Asus motherboard, i7.
My service is Extreme and I was getting about 30 down. As i understand it, I should now be receiving 200 down. According to speedtest.net, I'm getting 100 and sometimes a little more.
What is the limiting factor here - or might there be more than one?
thanks for any and all suggestions.

T1249NTSCJ9
join:2007-01-25
Ridgewood, NY

T1249NTSCJ9

said by louise250 :

nyc 10025. I got the letter 3 days ago and yesterday experienced a speed boost. i own SB6141, Apple Extreme router (being used with win 7), and a gigabyte connection on my Asus motherboard, i7.
My service is Extreme and I was getting about 30 down. As i understand it, I should now be receiving 200 down. According to speedtest.net, I'm getting 100 and sometimes a little more.
What is the limiting factor here - or might there be more than one?
thanks for any and all suggestions.

Any speeds over 100/10 will require a 16 channel modem which the SB6141 is not. You're better off going down a tier to turbo since 100/10 will be the most you'll get outta that modem with TWC.
jack584

jack584 to louise250

to louise250
Yup the above poster said what I was going to. If you really want the 200 Mbps speed, you will need to rent a modem from TWC until the SB6183 becomes available. If you don't want to buy a new modem or start renting, downgrade to turbo like T1249 said and save $10 a month.
korgman
join:2004-03-16
Austin, TX

korgman to Jason90405

to Jason90405
said by Jason90405 :

You can get the same EXACT speed on the Turbo level. Call up TWC and downgrade. You'll save $10 a month!

That's what I did too. Same speed.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to patt2k

MVM,

to patt2k
For anybody still following along.. Just got 4 upload channels in Downtown LA (a bit south of chinatown) last night. Service went out around 2 AM, came back at 2:30AM with:

Downstream Channels
Power Level:Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: -8.6 dBmV 38.6 dB
Channel 2: -6.8 dBmV 39.1 dB
Channel 3: -6.4 dBmV 39.2 dB
Channel 4: -6.2 dBmV 39.3 dB
Channel 5: -6.2 dBmV 39.5 dB
Channel 6: -6.4 dBmV 39.5 dB
Channel 7: -6.5 dBmV 39.4 dB
Channel 8: -6.5 dBmV 39.5 dB

Upstream Channels 
 Power Level:
Channel 1:39.5 dBmV
Channel 2:40.3 dBmV
Channel 3:39.3 dBmV
Channel 4:41.5 dBmV

Unfortunately the DPC3008 doesn't show the channel frequencies or IDs, so no idea if 16 down is available. I'm surprised they added the extra upload channels so quickly - we just had our digital conversion at the end of August.

mckenna797
Premium Member
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY
Netgear CM700
Asus RT-AC68

mckenna797 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: What leased cable modems with digital phones?

said by antdude:

My folks just got their snail mail letter about upgrading to faster cable modems. However, they have digital phone service with standard Internet too. Which one would TWC be sending to replace Arris TM502G? Would it be a combo type of modem again with its battery (worked good this morning with a 3/three hours power outage)?

They will get the Arris tg1672g
it is a combo wifi router,emta in my area twc does not provide the battery

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by mckenna797:

said by antdude:

They will get the Arris tg1672g
it is a combo wifi router,emta in my area twc does not provide the battery

Yep I have this unit already. No battery in CA either, but you can probably purchase those. Cable company phone system are not rated "carrier grade", so they don't have to supply a battery by law, which AT&T and Verizon do have to do on their hybrid digital systems such as FIOS and U-Verse.
bghs
join:2006-08-19

bghs to patt2k

to patt2k

Well, looks like Maxx has made its presence in GG. Internet went down 25 minutes ago for couple minutes. Ran a test:

nickg
@192.152.81.x

nickg to mckenna797

Anon

to mckenna797

I've been lurking on this board for months from Fountain Valley and finally got the upgrade last night. I have the Arris as my SB6141 wouldn't be enough for the ultimate.

I called customer support and they did all the heavy lifting regarding putting it into bridge mode so I could use my own (better) router.

Guys... this is FAST internet!

moss
old school
join:2000-09-23
Garden Grove, CA

moss to bghs

to bghs

It definitely did

PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to bghs

to bghs
said by bghs:

Well, looks like Maxx has made its presence in GG. Internet went down 25 minutes ago for couple minutes.

Awesome! My friend live in 92841 (Chapman and Magnolia) and I will tell her about speed upgrade!

Dizzy714
@76.175.184.x

Dizzy714

Anon

I'm not sure why Anaheim hasn't gotten it yet, from the timeline it was supposed to be months ago and some of these other city's just getting it now were supposed to be afterwards - well, Anaheim still no go. 92804 here, Arris modem router, still on one up channel...

toobs
join:2014-05-01
Fountain Valley, CA

toobs to nickg

to nickg

I just called Time Warner and they said that my side of town has been upgraded too. I'm not home to check my speeds, but the Internet was a little wonky this morning. Report back what I get on my Zoom. The rep said that I should be getting 100 Mbps, but I'm on Extreme and the Zoom.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to Dizzy714

to Dizzy714

said by Dizzy714 :

I'm not sure why Anaheim hasn't gotten it yet, from the timeline it was supposed to be months ago and some of these other city's just getting it now were supposed to be afterwards - well, Anaheim still no go. 92804 here, Arris modem router, still on one up channel...

Same there. I live in 92804 too! But, right now Im out of town so I cannot check the modem status. Thank you letting me know that you still on 1 US channel.(Did you reboot your Arris modem/router?) Grrr, I am little upset that TWC taking their sweet time in Anaheim and they managed to completed MAXX in Garden Grove.
bwash
Premium Member
join:2005-02-24
Diamond Bar, CA

bwash to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
I am in Diamond Bar, and two nights ago just got up bonding of 4 and probably 16 down (I have arris cm820 so it only does 8 down but some of the assigned #s are 9 and 10)

Haven't seen higher speeds yet (I have turbo) but one curious thing, I got a new IP when this happened then the next night I got another new IP and this one was located in Wichita KS 104.172.xx.xx This kinda of screws up doing speed test since it will always go to a server there. I ran a trace route and that is going to cypress (before it used to go to Brea) not Wichita so that is okay. I was going to wait and see if this gets sorted when we get Maxx.

Is anyone in the Diamond Bar area seeing this?
sharksfan3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16
North Hollywood, CA

sharksfan3 to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
I received my Faster Speeds letter today

toobs
join:2014-05-01
Fountain Valley, CA

toobs to patt2k

to patt2k
MAXX is here at my end of town in Fountain Valley (Warner/Harbor). I just downgraded to Turbo because the Zoom is the bottle neck now and until I can buy SB6183, I can't see myself renting again and paying TWC even more.