uniqs

cousintim
join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

cousintim to rivkadr

to rivkadr

Re: Original TWC MAXX thread - now MAXX General Discussion

said by rivkadr :

I think I found what you're talking about, based on some googling. You're talking about the speed/duplex settings for the network card?

He might be talking about the network card itself. Are you it's gigabit? It looks like it might be 10/100Mbps.

rivkadr
@104.174.24.x

rivkadr

Anon

It's a: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to rivkadr

Premium Member

to rivkadr
said by rivkadr :

I think I found what you're talking about, based on some googling. You're talking about the speed/duplex settings for the network card?

It's currently set to: Auto Negotation

My other options are: 10 Mbps Full Duplex, 10 Mbps Half Duplex, 100 Mbps Full Duplex, 100 Mbps Half Duplex

Yes speed setting of the network card.

From the available options listed, you only have a 10/100 card. With protocol overhead an average 100 Mbps card max speed is about the 85 mbps you're getting. You will need to upgrade to a 1 Gig or 1000 Mbps card to get any faster.
DocDrew

1 edit

DocDrew to rivkadr

Premium Member

to rivkadr
said by rivkadr :

It's a: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

Something is wrong with it or the ethernet cable then. You're only seeing 10 and 100 mbps connection options.

Do you have the latest drivers installed?

Is the ethernet cable a full 8-wire cable (10/100 can get away with only using 4)? Might want to try a different one just to be sure.
ViperJohn
join:2000-03-23
Santa Ana, CA

ViperJohn

The Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PHCI-E is a 1000mb/sec controller and it is set correctly (Auto) for gigabit connections. Rivkadr needs to make sure it is an 8 wire cable as Dr. Drew related

What no one has asked is what Arris modem/router did TWC send to Rivkadr.

Viper
rivkadr
join:2014-11-25

rivkadr to DocDrew

to DocDrew
The latest drivers are installed.

The ethernet cable is an 8-wire cat 5e. I tested with a different one, made no difference.

The modem/router is an Arris DG1670A.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by rivkadr:

The ethernet cable is an 8-wire cat 5e. I tested with a different one, made no difference.

Did you try a different port on the router?

Go to this address and make sure the router is set for GigE operation on the ports: »192.168.0.1/?lan_ports Although my TWC issues DG1670 won't allow me to change any of the 4 ports from anything other than auto negotiated, 1000 Mbps, full duplex operation.
ViperJohn
Santa Ana, CA

1 edit

ViperJohn to rivkadr

to rivkadr
said by rivkadr:

Okay so what you have is okay. By the numbers:

(1) Gigabit Ethernet Controller = Good
(2) 8 Wire cable = Good - BUT try a second cable just in case that cable is bad.
(3) Arris DG1670A = Good 16x4 modem

That leaves TWC connection to you and modem/route (Gateway) setup. You need to access the Gateway and look at the connection status. Your connection to TWC may not have 16 active D/L channels for some reason, the signal "numbers" may be complete crap, QOS in the Gateway may be on, etc, etc, etc.

TWC may have you password locked out of the Gateway ATM so you may not be able access it without a factory default reset first. In any case we need another Arris DG1670A owner than can access their Gateway to guide you from here.

Viper

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by ViperJohn:

That leaves TWC connection to you and modem/route (Gateway) setup. You need to access the Gateway and look at the connection status. Your connection to TWC may not have 16 active D/L channels for some reason, the signal "numbers" may be complete crap, QOS in the Gateway may be on, etc, etc, etc.

Ah, but it's not the TWC side WAN connection. His NIC is only reporting 10/100 options, not 1000 mbps options needed. It's LAN side between the modem/router and his NIC.

I posted the link for his model router/modem to check the LAN port speeds.

rivkadr2
@104.174.24.x

rivkadr2

Anon

This is frustrating, my posts are being held.

The LAN port speed is set to 1000. It wont' let me change the port.

rivkadr
@104.174.24.x

rivkadr to DocDrew

Anon

to DocDrew
Yes, latest drivers are installed.

The ethernet cable is 8-wire. It's cat 5e, does that matter? Does it need to be cat 6?

Tried a different ethernet cable (still 5e), made no difference.
rivkadr

rivkadr to DocDrew

to DocDrew
Yes, set to 1000. It won't let me change from port 1, though.

»i.imgur.com/ENIVek3.png

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Do you have any other devices with 1000 Mbps ports that can be connected to the computer or router for testing?
ViperJohn
Santa Ana, CA

1 edit

ViperJohn to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by ViperJohn:

Ah, but it's not the TWC side WAN connection. His NIC is only reporting 10/100 options, not 1000 mbps options needed. It's LAN side between the modem/router and his NIC.

I posted the link for his model router/modem to check the LAN port speeds.

No gigabit network adapter/controller will have a setting or let you hard set/lock a port to 1000mb/sec. It's part of the spec that it has be negotiated.. Only 10/100 can be locked in.

The actual connection speed can easily be checked in Windows Network and Sharing Center - Connections with one mouse click..

Viper
ViperJohn

ViperJohn to rivkadr

to rivkadr
said by rivkadr :

Yes, latest drivers are installed.

The ethernet cable is 8-wire. It's cat 5e, does that matter? Does it need to be cat 6?

Tried a different ethernet cable (still 5e), made no difference.

5e is fine. You should try a second cable just to rule out a possible bad cable though.

Viper

rivkadr2
@104.174.24.x

rivkadr2

Anon

I have tried a second cable, as mentioned above. It made a new difference (it was the brand new one from TWC).

I don't have a second machine with a gigabit network card.

I looked at the Ethernet settings in Network & Sharing center, and it says Speed: 100 Mbps, if that means anything.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to ViperJohn

Premium Member

to ViperJohn
said by ViperJohn:

No gigabit network adapter/controller will have a setting or let you hard set/lock a port to 1000mb/sec.

The majority I've seen give you the option in case you want to lock the port to a lower speed or try and force the connection to be 1 Gbps. See my screenshot of my Intel NIC properties above.

From reading posts (like this post and this post) about rivkadr2's Atheros NIC the 1 Gbps option isn't available when the NIC doesn't detect a 1 Gbps port on the other end of the link. Often this is because of a bad cable, but 2 different cables have been tried.
ViperJohn
Santa Ana, CA

1 edit

ViperJohn

Ahw damn I forgot Intel Ethernet cards/controllers break spec and give that option. My own Intel Pro 1000 GT card in another computer included..

It is uncommon for Gigabit Ethernet cards/controllers to have a 1000 hard setting though.

Those posts make little sense since if the controller does auto detect a 1000 port there would be no need for a manual 1000 setiing.

Conversely and if it doesn't show a 1000 setting option if a 1000 speed port is not detected the whole idea of a manual 1000 setting is useless.

Viper

cousintim
join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

cousintim

We may be straying a bit off the Maxx-specific topic.
ViperJohn
Santa Ana, CA

1 edit

ViperJohn to rivkadr

to rivkadr
Click for full size
said by rivkadr:

Yes, set to 1000. It won't let me change from port 1, though.

»i.imgur.com/ENIVek3.png

Manual 1000 and Full are greyed out. Uncheck "Auto", (save) and reboot the gateway for
the manual settings to take effect. Make sure you are plugged into port 1.

If you get 1000 speed then, as indicated in Windows, the Gateway is not playing nice during
auto negotiations with the Qualcomm Atheros adapter (or vice versa)

If you get nothing, as in can't connect to the gateway at all, then the Qualcomm Atheros adapter
is stuck in 10/100. Try changing the port you plugin to on the gateway to see if you can
reconnect to it first as they may still be set to "Auto" from the looks of that gateway settings
page. If still no joy you will need to reset the gateway to factory defaults to again connect to it.

Viper

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by ViperJohn:

Manual 1000 and Full are greyed out. Uncheck "Auto", (save) and reboot the gateway for
the manual settings to take effect.

He can't uncheck auto, it's greyed out just like mine. That modem is locked for those particular settings on TWC.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to rivkadr2

Premium Member

to rivkadr2
said by rivkadr2 :

This is frustrating, my posts are being held.

register an account.
ViperJohn
Santa Ana, CA

ViperJohn to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by ViperJohn:

the manual settings to take effect.

He can't uncheck auto, it's greyed out just like mine. That modem is locked for those particular settings on TWC.

Yeah that is one HUGH freaken problem when TWC supplies your equipment. Disconnecting the TWC coax then a reset to
factory defaults will sometimes get you access to those locked out settings. After which disable remote access and change
the default username and/or password to hopefully keep TWC from locking you back out when you reconnect the coax.

That used to work with TWC supplied Moto Surfboard Gateways that had those settings. The TWC supplied Arris 1670
gateways may not have them at all with TWC "tweaked" firmware. It might be worth a try cause Rivkadr is basically screwed
at this point without further testing or blind equipment changes that may not work if a cranky gateway is the real culprit here.

Viper

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by ViperJohn:

After which disable remote access and change the default username and/or password to hopefully keep TWC from locking you back out when you reconnect the coax.

It's not done through remote access that way, so turning it off is pretty useless. It's the default settings of the firmware (usually by agreement of the modem maker and multiple ISPs that tested the model) and enforced by the config file settings (often left at default settings for the particular parameters dealing with security access levels).

This sort of thing happens on most ISPs using combo gateway units unless they custom tweak the config files to allow more than default access levels. I've seen this sort of behavior on certain modem model lines for over a dozen years now.
rivkadr

rivkadr

So, I said heck with it and went out and bought a cat 6 cable -- figured it couldn't hurt. Restarted the modem. Restarted the computer. One or all of those things appears to have fixed the issue -- I'm now getting 216 Mbps.

Thanks for all your help!

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by rivkadr:

So, I said heck with it and went out and bought a cat 6 cable -- figured it couldn't hurt. Restarted the modem. Restarted the computer. One or all of those things appears to have fixed the issue -- I'm now getting 216 Mbps.

Good to hear! Thanks for the update.

BTW, are the 1 Gbps or 1000 mbps settings showing or available on the network card properties now?
ViperJohn
Santa Ana, CA

ViperJohn to rivkadr

to rivkadr
said by rivkadr:

Damn so ya had two bad cables. It's not the cable being Cat 6 as 200mbs is nothing for a Cat 5e cable.

Tip...Don't gamble cause you have no luck lol.

Viper
rivkadr

rivkadr to DocDrew

to DocDrew
So, it's showing 1.0 GB in the Network & Sharing area. But NOT showing 1000 as available on the network card properties. Have no idea what that means.
ViperJohn
Santa Ana, CA

ViperJohn to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by ViperJohn:

After which disable remote access and change the default username and/or password to hopefully keep TWC from locking you back out when you reconnect the coax.

It's not done through remote access that way, so turning it off is pretty useless. It's the default settings of the firmware (usually by agreement of the modem maker and multiple ISPs that tested the model) and enforced by the config file settings (often left at default settings for the particular parameters dealing with security access levels).

This sort of thing happens on most ISPs using combo gateway units unless they custom tweak the config files to allow more than default access levels. I've seen this sort of behavior on certain modem model lines for over a dozen years now.

As I said it worked on the TWC supplied Moto Surfboard Gateways (which could also be purchased at retail.)
Arris 1670 Gateways are ISP only so they can get away with firmware murder to keep John Q out and the bucks rolling in.

A dozen years of this stuff.......Awh a youngling lol.

Viper

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to rivkadr

Premium Member

to rivkadr
said by rivkadr:

So, it's showing 1.0 GB in the Network & Sharing area. But NOT showing 1000 as available on the network card properties. Have no idea what that means.

Good to see the 1 Gb network link speed. As ViperJohn posted earlier, many cards don't give those sorts of configurable options under speed and duplex settings. Did any new options pop up though beside the ones listed earlier?