AnClar
Premium Member
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

AnClar to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k

Re: Original TWC MAXX thread - now MAXX General Discussion

Interesting conversation with TWC yesterday...we received 8x4 bonding last week in my area (76513). I had another issue and after that was addressed, I inquired if and when we would receive the MAXX upgrade. The tech said that what he had heard was that after the first TX markets (Austin & suburbs) were fully lit up that they would be expanding the coverage areas to include those serviced out of the Waco head end. The time frame he had heard was end of 2014 - early 2015. Also that the 16x4-capable modems were being deployed to neighborhoods as they are turned up. He said that there had been an early shortage of modems but that they were slowly catching up. Also that only a minority of users were getting the SB6183...most were getting the Arris TG-whatever. Interesting info...we'll see what happens going forward.,

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to djrobx

MVM,

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

He probably means amps and/or taps.

That was my point, actually. TWC working on random equipment could mean anything. They could be readjusting levels for a new amp or additional taps, they could be just doing routine maintenance, they could be splitting a node, etc, etc. It just seems funny to see a TWC tech and immediately think, "oh, MAXX must be coming soon". But anyway...

Twcfh
@67.244.84.x

Twcfh

Anon

Whatever they did, all I know is it is working now and affected my connection for a short time. Hopefully no more upgrades are needed and Maxx upgrades will come eventually.

FHTWC
@67.244.84.x

FHTWC to djrobx

Anon

to djrobx
Yeah sorry, meant Amps or Taps on the stairwell. The boxes were all left open on all the floors one day. I was bewildered by that. They were left hanging out or removed. They were replaced back on. And since then we had that work I saw and perhaps other work done since that since I had some small scale outages and service came back up. They also did some work to the pole behind my building today earlier in the afternoon. I am assuming it was a node split adding more bandwidth even though I get full speeds for my speed tier. So with all the work done, we should be ready for the Maxx tiers and I bet we weren't alone and I wonder how much of our zipcode still needs to be done but hopefully its almost ready since our building should be capable of it right now without further upgrades.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to MannyCA

to MannyCA
said by MannyCA :

Camarillo (93010) is now live. I am on the turbo plan was previously getting 22 Mbps. This morning, I reset my modem and now getting 53 Mbps. I do have the SB6121 modem. I'm assuming that's why I'm not getting 100 Mbps.

Yup. I had the same config and same modem. I just replaced my SB6121 with a SB6141 and now I'm at 100/10Mbps.

TWCAntec
@67.244.84.x

TWCAntec to FHTWC

Anon

to FHTWC
Looks like there was Antec Networking Technologies equipment on the pole and a PowerGuard box.

Not sure if there is a node split they did or any additional added equipment Definitely was not any issues on that node and my noise floors were excellent. Not sure how this affected CATV Boxes since I do not have Time Warner. After replacement, system is working fine just as always. I did have some previous small outages in the future so perhaps this will clear those up. Glad to see Time Warner keeping on top of the infrastructure and they seem to be doing a great job. Just weird that they would schedule work during the afternoon. All I need and want from Time Warner is the maxx upgrades and hopefully that comes on very soon. They said by year end for all in NYC and that deadline is coming up. So with all the work done now, it should be closer to finalization.

I had RCN in the past which was lousy. Fiber optics cable breaks, and lots of outages and issues with routing and peering.

But as for TWC Maxx : As soon as it goes live, I guarantee someone else in Forest Hills will report it before me and it looks like it will come on very soon. There isn't much time left.
SoCalMX70
join:2014-07-16
Simi Valley, CA

SoCalMX70 to marving11

to marving11
I'm in Simi and yes the change happened today, yayyy! However, I went from 100/5 to just 100/10. I know I need a 16x4 modem to get the full benefits of the upgrade (currently 8x4). If I walk into the local TWC with my Ubee DDW365 and say "I need a 16 channel downstream, 4 channel upstream modem" will they just do the exchange? Do they even have them in stock? I was going to call over there, but I don't see a local number anywhere. Don't really want to pull a big desk away from a wall, disconnect all of my stuff and take the modem over there just to be disappointed.

Just curious on how everyone else handled it who did not receive instructions to upgrade their modem.

Thanks!
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u to FHTWC

to FHTWC
said by FHTWC :

Yeah sorry, meant Amps or Taps on the stairwell. The boxes were all left open on all the floors one day. I was bewildered by that. They were left hanging out or removed. They were replaced back on. And since then we had that work I saw and perhaps other work done since that since I had some small scale outages and service came back up. They also did some work to the pole behind my building today earlier in the afternoon. I am assuming it was a node split adding more bandwidth even though I get full speeds for my speed tier. So with all the work done, we should be ready for the Maxx tiers and I bet we weren't alone and I wonder how much of our zipcode still needs to be done but hopefully its almost ready since our building should be capable of it right now without further upgrades.

Its a bad idea to assume most things in life...

I see TWC on my street all of the time and most of the time its regular maintenance. One time I did catch the tech with a node in his hand and he told me he was completing the MAXX upgrade and its a really simple and quick process on the street-side. He told me I should get the new speeds right away but alas its been weeks and they are waiting to complete on the back-end.
gregj63
join:1999-07-09
Fresh Meadows, NY

gregj63 to SoCalMX70

to SoCalMX70
That's what I did at the TWC office here in NYC. Said "I want to exchange this for a DOCSIS 3 modem". And they gave me one, an Arris 1672 model, which got 16 downstream channels immediately. Said that was the only DOCSIS 3 modem they had in stock. Now just waiting for the network to be upgraded for the increased speeds.

Fhtwc
@67.244.84.x

Fhtwc to omghi2u

Anon

to omghi2u
Went to check the boxes they worked on outside and they appear to have mounted something externally to both boxes and the like. I couldn't recognize what it was and it doesn't appear to be wireless related and it doesn't have antennas or emanate a wireless signal. Initially I thought it could have been a wifi connection but it isn't the case. Seems like metal tubing or something.

Is this normal or recognizable by anyone on pole boxes?

cousintim
join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

cousintim to patt2k

to patt2k
With AT&T announcing GigaPower (speeds up to 1 Gbps symmetrical) for Dallas, I wonder if TWC will bring MAXX to Dallas.

»www.prnewswire.com/news- ··· 692.html

Twcmaxx
@67.244.84.x

Twcmaxx

Anon

The problem is we depend on others to create the networks for us, essentially the modern versions of tin can and string.

We should be building out our own networks not using infrastructure created by others. Start with your own place and connect a neighbor.

Not huge firms which don't represent the consumer.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to cousintim

Premium Member

to cousintim
said by cousintim:

With AT&T announcing GigaPower (speeds up to 1 Gbps symmetrical) for Dallas, I wonder if TWC will bring MAXX to Dallas.

»www.prnewswire.com/news- ··· 692.html

They likely won't be in a rush because they have 75/5 there and AT&T at first oddly is only doing 100mbs Gigapower that at a later time will be then upgraded to speeds up to 1Gbs both ways.)

I would have thought AT&T would have done all deployments from now on at 1Gbs from the start but AT&T will be AT&T I guess.

It also makes me wonder what they are going to do in NC with Gigapower, maybe they will do 100mbs at first as well just to top TWC who still only has 50mbs there.

Just when I think AT&T couldn't mess it up more and then 100mbs. They also seem to be late on doing the upgrade to full 1Gbs in there first market. This speed rush seems to be a bit of mess for every ISP in the game in some way.

cousintim
join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

cousintim

said by why60loss:

They likely won't be in a rush because they have 75/5 there and AT&T at first oddly is only doing 100mbs Gigapower that at a later time will be then upgraded to speeds up to 1Gbs both ways.)

AT&T says a large swath will be able to upgrade to 1 Gbps by year-end. Also, I think a lot of the Dallas suburbs on TWC are still at 50/5.

"Ultimate 75 Our fastest speed ever. Available only in Dallas at this time. [...] Coming soon elsewhere."
mariol90
join:2005-07-23
Carrollton, TX
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-LR

mariol90

said by cousintim:

AT&T says a large swath will be able to upgrade to 1 Gbps by year-end. Also, I think a lot of the Dallas suburbs on TWC are still at 50/5.

"Ultimate 75 Our fastest speed ever. Available only in Dallas at this time. [...] Coming soon elsewhere."

That would be pretty nice. I'm not even sure if all of Dallas proper has 75/5, my TWC account only shows up to 50/5. Uverse isn't available here either (just DSL).

Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
So I'm in Simi Valley and should now be getting 100/10. Upload speed is fine, but my download speeds are in the 40-60 range.

Modem is a SGB6580 (provided by TWC). This modem shouldn't have any problem with a 100/10 connection should it?
expertzero
join:2014-06-28

expertzero

Are you on wifi wired?

Try hard wiring to the router first and test the speeds.

Might be cause of wifi bands of compatible devices

toobs
join:2014-05-01
Fountain Valley, CA

toobs to patt2k

to patt2k
I just got off the phone with TWC and MAXX is coming to 92708 on 9/12 - 9/19.

They have been adding new lines to the poles on Warner for a few days now. Not sure if its TWC related.

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to expertzero

Premium Member

to expertzero
said by expertzero:

Are you on wifi wired?

Computer is on wifi (one of those little Netgear USB adapters. I think it's this one).

I'll try hard wiring it when I get home and see what happens.

SimiWooWoo
@107.184.110.x

SimiWooWoo to SoCalMX70

Anon

to SoCalMX70
Hi SoCalMX70, I am in Simi too (East Simi near Stearns) and I saw my 100/5 go to 100/10 as well. I am using my personal Docsis 3.0 Arris Cm820 modem. I called them, and they said they have not deployed the speeds in my area and don't know when that will be. Not sure how to read into all of this.

If you get a new 16x4 modem and see speeds increase, please let me know!
expertzero

expertzero to toobs

to toobs
Dang, seems about right. The list says fountain valley is getting it in September. I guess Santa Ana is getting it on November then
funkdoc23
join:2014-07-09
United State

funkdoc23 to npcizy

to npcizy
I'm getting the same 118mbps... I just contacted them again and they said wait a few days... they say one thing on the phone and another in the chat... They're all confused about this! I'll just wait it out.

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

said by Postal8:

said by expertzero:

Are you on wifi wired?

Computer is on wifi (one of those little Netgear USB adapters. I think it's this one).

I'll try hard wiring it when I get home and see what happens.

OK, if I'm hard wired into the modem I get my full 100/10 speeds. If I use the wifi I get around 60/10.

Is there a wireless setting I need to change in my modem or something? Or am I just SOL with this modem? Or could it be my Netgear N300 adapter that's the problem?

Here's a screen shot of my basic wireless settings...

expertzero

expertzero

Its the adapter.

Gotta replace it with a newer one

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Postal8

MVM

to Postal8
Are both units running in the 2.4Ghz band and close by each other? You might be best setting one of the wireless radios to 5Ghz, and leaving the other at 2.4Gh, which will give you the option to use 40Mhz channels. Doing that would have a better impact on your wireless Internet throughout. Just make sure, if your N300 is not bridged, that you make the SSIDs of each router different.

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to expertzero

Premium Member

to expertzero
said by expertzero:

Its the adapter.

But isn't it supposed to handle speeds up to 300?
expertzero

expertzero to Smith6612

to Smith6612
It's a modem and router in one. can't run both frequencies at the same time
expertzero

expertzero to Postal8

to Postal8
It should. Probably have to fiddle with the settings.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
That router isn't possible to get 100 mbps on wireless get the sb6580 in bridge mode and get a router like Linksys ea 4500 or the newer ac routers from linksys or asus.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
said by Postal8:

said by expertzero:

Its the adapter.

But isn't it supposed to handle speeds up to 300?

At 2.4ghz N usually only goes up to 130mbps. Getting 1/3 to 1/2 of the link throughput is typical with wifi.