dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

4 edits

bohratom

Is CBS Sports Network a Freeview, if not do PrimeHD have access?

I noticed today that in VHO7 I can receive the CBS Sports Network on channel 94 with my ExtremeHD package. Does anyone know if this is a Free Preview or has FIOS now moved this channel into the ExtremeHD package?

I do remember last year when FIOS and CBS Sports signed a new carriage agreement they did hint that it would cover more subscribers so maybe they are moving it to compete with both FOX Sports and NBC Sports which are both in the Extreme HD.
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

Re: CBS Sports Network Free Preview?

The channel lineup on the official site shows it as being an addon with Sports Pass for Extreme and included for Ultimate. But i'm not paying for that and I can watch it here in VHO15

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

It would be nice for Verizon to have an official announcement on channel changes. Last year, when they moved the Tennis Channel to ExtremeHD, we had these same threads for a few weeks before it was confirmed.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick to bohratom

to bohratom
Still no HD? What good is a sports channel in SD tryig to compete with other sports channels that are ALL in HD. Anyway thanks for heads up on channel 94 which I now see with Extreme HD in NYC DMA.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom

BTW one easy way to determine if this is a Free Preview is if any PrimeHD subscribers can view CBS Sports Network?

If not then we know it's not a free preview.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to bohratom

to bohratom

Re: Is CBS Sports Network a Freeview, if not do PrimeHD have access?

I doubt they would have a free preview just for CBS Sports, since you can't order that channel a la carte. If it was a free preview then you would likely be receiving all channels that are part of the Sports Pack.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Universal Sports is part of the Sports Pack and was a free preview a couple months ago,
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

I am in VHO 1. I checked yesterday and could not get CBS Sports Network, but this morning I do get it. Strange.....
ansky
West Orange, NJ

ansky to kes601

to kes601
said by kes601:

Universal Sports is part of the Sports Pack and was a free preview a couple months ago,

Good point. Seems kind of silly to offer a free preview of just 1 network within a package, unless it was mandated by the network. If they are looking to entice people to subscribe to the Sports Pack they should make all those channels available during the free preview.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts

And should offer the channel in HD!!!

mack1951
Universal Soldier
join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951 to bohratom

to bohratom
VHO 7 prime HD channel not authorized, so not a preview at least not on prime.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to justin9876

to justin9876
Not getting it in N. Central Plano.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to mack1951

to mack1951
said by mack1951:

VHO 7 prime HD channel not authorized

Now we know it's not a free Preview.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by bohratom:

said by mack1951:

VHO 7 prime HD channel not authorized

Now we know it's not a free Preview.

Good thing we all have each other in different states to figure this all out since we would never know otherwise.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to bohratom

to bohratom
Channel 94 shows up as CBS Sports in Southern California. It's somewhat useless with no HD equivalent. It's still listed as one of the 14 extra-cost sports pass channels. Six of them are HD but that includes ESPN Buzzer Beater and ESPN Goal Line, which are only part-time channels during college basketball and football seasons.

That agreement about covering more subscribers was announced last August.
ansky
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by billhere:

Channel 94 shows up as CBS Sports in Southern California. It's somewhat useless with no HD equivalent.

It's even more useless with lack of real programming. I think I saw college boxing listed in the program guide. But I'm sure they wanted to be in the same tier as NBC Sports Network.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769 to bohratom

to bohratom
It needs to be in high definition!
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

I agree.

Actually, IMO, I believe that within 3-5 years, there should not be any SD channels. At the very least, no sports channels or nature in SD. I do know that a Satellite Company will not have any SD channels by 2017. They stated that they are making room for UHD channels.

My reasoning :

1) It frees up space to add new HD and or UHD channels. Even if Full IPTV is implemented by then. Which I do not think will happen, because the VMS (AFAIK) are the only FiOS STBs that can handle it.

2) With UHDTVs coming down in price, and the ability to upscale SD and HD content, SD channels will become irrelevant. If we can't stand watching sports in SD on a HDTV now, It will be worse watching on a UHD TV.

Again, this all is just my opinion.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

1 recommendation

bohratom

If CBS Sports has now been added to ExtremeHD then I would assume the HD Flavor is not far off considering that both NBC And FOX sports are HD.... Of course we all know what can happen if one "Assumes"...
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

Verizon, citing customer demand, announces a deal to carry TV Uzbekistan HD.
billhere
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to bohratom

to bohratom
I tuned in Channel 94 last night and got the Lehigh Valley - Charleston minor league baseball game. I wouldn't watch that even in HD.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

Very weird, received an anonymous email tonight from someone that says they work at Verizon and CBS Sports Network has been added to the ExtremeHD package with the HD flavor due later this year. Take it for what it's worth but still amazes me why Verizon has stopped announcing new channel additions.
billhere
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

I hope the HD version shows up before the college football season starts this fall.
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to webcobbler

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

Even if Full IPTV is implemented by then. Which I do not think will happen, because the VMS (AFAIK) are the only FiOS STBs that can handle it.

Not true How do you think On demand comes in?
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

or what the IP stands for in QIP-XXXX (box model #)

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

4 edits

bohratom

Just an update, noticed that Verizon now shows CBS Sports included with Extreme HD when you check their TV plans out online.... Guess now it's just a matter when the HD flavor shows up....

BTW also shows that Longhorn Network (CH 320) is now included for both Preferred and Extreme HD but in VHO7 I do not have access to it with Extreme HD....

ChadH
@74.109.225.x

ChadH

Anon

said by bohratom:

Just an update, noticed that Verizon now shows CBS Sports included with Extreme HD when you check their TV plans out online.... Guess now it's just a matter when the HD flavor shows up....

I am very happy about this. This is probably the only channel from the sports package that I had any interest in. I wasn't about to buy an entire package of channels just for one channel. Don't have to worry about that now. As others have said though, they need to offer the HD channel for this now. How can the YES Network have an HD channel and not CBS Sports?