·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall

Re: [Other] WHS 2011 vs Windows Server 2012 Essentials

said by Nightfall:

the shared folders work a lot better on the Synology

How so specifically, please?

Nobody has said specifically how Synology is better -- I'm more than willing to change my mind but I need more information Preferably a specific example such as: shared folders on Synology allow guests on the network to access folders that are set up for it (I know WHS v1 does this but maybe 2011/2012 don't?)

I've also had no problems using iOS apps to connect to any shared folder on my network, I have a hard time imagining that it won't be similar if not identical with 2011/2012. So how does Synology make this "easier".

You also haven't said which Synology you're talking about. Can you please provide details?

Also, per my requirements above, I'm not looking for a lot of non-storage type apps/functionality as I've already got those pieces in place on my network.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by darcilicious:

Nobody has said specifically how Synology is better -- I'm more than willing to change my mind

Hrm....
said by darcilicious:

Thanks but I've already narrowed down my options to these two.

You will have to excuse me, but I really don't feel like typing 4-5 paragraphs since it seems like it will fall on deaf ears. Sounds like you have your plan in mind and that isn't a bad thing. Good luck!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

darcilicious

Premium Member

I said I was willing to change my mind and I mean it. However, in order to do that, I need more information than "is better" and "is easier". I don't think that is unreasonable, especially as you're someone who has used both.

You won't even post which Synology model you're using to I can follow up on my own.

Sounds like you're not really interested in providing information beyond "Synology is better, you can take my word for it", which of course is your choice -- but please don't say I've already made up my mind when all I've done is asked for more information.

Regarding:
said by darcilicious:

Thanks but I've already narrowed down my options to these two.

That was well before you chimed in with your experience of using both Windows and Synology.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

2 recommendations

unknvoip to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

You will have to excuse me, but I really don't feel like typing 4-5 paragraphs since it seems like it will fall on deaf ears. Sounds like you have your plan in mind and that isn't a bad thing. Good luck!

While the OP may or may not have their mind made up, some of us lurking in this thread might benefit from your information. I had never heard of the Synology solution. I have a WHS V1 and have started to wonder what might be next for me. Your input would certainly not fall on deaf ears.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

2 recommendations

Nightfall

MVM

said by unknvoip:

said by Nightfall:

While the OP may or may not have their mind made up, some of us lurking in this thread might benefit from your information. I had never heard of the Synology solution. I have a WHS V1 and have started to wonder what might be next for me. Your input would certainly not fall on deaf ears.

Fair enough.

Let me start by saying that I have Windows Home Server 2011 and a Synology DS412. All the synology solutions are the same for the most part when it comes to what apps they support and so on. It doesn't matter if you have a DS213+ or a DS414. The only difference is the amount of drive bays they have or hardware related improvements.

Now, lets explain what I like about the Synology solution over Windows Home server.

First off, the apps that the synology have are awesome. For those of you who have Windows and Android devices, there are a lot of apps you can install that can stream video and audio off your synology and to your phone. Then you have a file browser that can grab files off the synology. There is also a picture application as well that can view pictures from your synology to your phone.

Connecting to the synology using Quickconnect or their native DDNS is seamless as well. Many already have DDNS of some kind, so I won't bore you with the details. The apps on the phone and such all use quickconnect which make it easy to connect to the synology no matter where you are.

Another thing I like about the synology is the ease of expansion. Even if you have a 2 bay synology and run RAID 0 for redundancy, you can easily expand your storage by replacing a drive, allowing it to resync, and then replacing the second drive when you are done.

You also have the price factor to consider. Even if you decide you want a 4 bay NAS, the cost of the computer plus Windows Server Essentials is going to be more than the cost of the NAS + 4 drives. I personally believe that the 2 bay NAS is probably the best bang for the buck unless you have 4-6 terrabytes of info to store. Then you also have to consider how you are going to back it up.

Another thing I love about the synology solution is the seemless backup and restore from one synology to another. I bought a small 1 bay synology and every night it backs up and compresses the backup to the 1 bay synology. You can even store this off site if you have the internet speed.

Then you have all the synology apps you can install on the synology itself. Want a torrent download manager? Synology has it. Want a Wordpress site? Synology has it. How about 3rd party apps? Synology has a great database of those as well.

»www.synology.com/en-us/d ··· packages

The one thing that Synology lacks is a true client backup solution. The Windows Home Server 2011 system is so nice when it comes to backups for the client PCs. It can keep multiple backups and you can restore seemlessly with the client restore CD.

With the synology, you can do full backups to the synology from the client, but they are not as user friendly.

»www.synology.com/en-us/s ··· ials/454

Another thing I like about the synology is the user community. Very large and robust. Their tech support is also excellent as well. I have only phoned in once for a support incident, and when I did it was a very easy process with a human being that I actually understood easily.

Finally, the cost to run the Synology solution is going to be much cheaper in the long run. A computer or server is going to cost more in power than the Synology will over its lifetime. You probably will be able to pay for a new Synology in a 4 year span in the electricity you will save over running a bulky/noisy server.

Combine with this some of the irritations of Windows Home Server 2011 and the Synology is much better. I had instances of the database of my client backups on the server go south and I had to remove all my backups and start over again. Then I had issues with the windows home server and making it accessible over the internet through the website. I was constantly getting an error and finding the solution isn't easy because the community just isn't that popular. Sure, you have technet and other online resources, but finding actual solutions is a little frustrating.

I really hope this helps you out.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

This is good info, thanks for taking the time to post it. I do appreciate it.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by darcilicious:

This is good info, thanks for taking the time to post it. I do appreciate it.

Thanks for the kudos. I apologize for sounding like an elitist. It just sounded to me that you hadn't done any research into the Synology and you were expecting me to regurgitate it. For instance, you want to know the model number, but anyone who has done even a small amount of research would know that all the models run off the same "DSM" and are only different hardware wise.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Synology solution is a viable one for many reasons, but it isn't the only solution for sure. Once again, I do wish you luck in your decision making process. I am sure you will make a good decision.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

unknvoip to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
Thanks for the info.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

1 recommendation

kvn864 to darcilicious

to darcilicious
There is a demo account setup on Synology site. You can get a "feel" of some features there. Can be very useful.
»www.synology.com/en-us/p ··· livedemo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Thanks!
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Even if you have a 2 bay synology and run RAID 0 for redundancy, you can easily expand your storage by replacing a drive, allowing it to resync, and then replacing the second drive when you are done.

I assume you meant RAID 1 (mirroring) for redundancy rather than RAID 0 (striping), yes?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Shady Bimmer:

said by Nightfall:

Even if you have a 2 bay synology and run RAID 0 for redundancy, you can easily expand your storage by replacing a drive, allowing it to resync, and then replacing the second drive when you are done.

I assume you meant RAID 1 (mirroring) for redundancy rather than RAID 0 (striping), yes?

Yup, my bad.