spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Alittlegreen
join:2008-07-24
Montreal, QC

Alittlegreen

[DSL] Smart RG sr505n | Wifi signal sporadically stops broadcasting

The last 3 or 4 nights (that i've noticed-may have been longer), our SmartRG just shuts off it's wifi.

I discovered it while watching a show and the wifi cut off. When I checked other devices and everything reaffirmed that there was no wifi.

Upon going to the desktop that's connected via ether cable it still had internet connection. This is where the 2nd symptom comes in; when I typed the usual 192.168.1.1 the upper back bar that says Teksavvy SR505n showed up but the lower half of the page simply said "the connection to the server has been reset - unable to display page". couple of minutes later i tried with another device to go to 192.168.1.1 and there it was. suddenly it had stop displaying on only one of our home pcs.

Anyhow, the bigger issue, is the wifi just stopping to work.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? and or how to fix it? (other than adding some water to it)

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

So the second time you tried 192.168.1.1 it worked okay?

Anyway, no great suggestions, no, but.. Use InSSIDer to see if the wireless network still exists at all, and just not passing traffic, or if it is really completely off. I'm not sure what to do with either answer, but it might give a hint about where to look next..
»www.metageek.net/product ··· nssider/

Alittlegreen
Montreal, QC

Alittlegreen

Ok, this is nuts. I rebooted the 505 at around 22:30 to make sure it wasn't a question of lease time expiring. And sure enough, all devices that were connected via wifi lost connection at 23:50.

I walk over to the pc that's connected via ether cable and it's connected online as if nothing was.

Is this thing defective all of a sudden?

I should add that wifi eventually came back about 1 hr later.

Nonetheless, any idea what fairy dust should be sprinkled on it in order to put an end to this?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Put the SmartRG in bridge mode and connect an off the shelf router (Asus/Linksys/D-Link/Netgear) router to provide wireless/LAN.

IMO, the wireless performance on the SmartRG sucks.

Alittlegreen
Montreal, QC

Alittlegreen

Ya... quess i could just cut it's wireless off completely, but this thing is less than a month old.

Not to mention I'd be forced into another 50-100 expense.

And if it's already giving probs about shutting down the wifi, how do I know it's problems wong become gradually bigger once on the new router?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

it's pretty bad at wifi period. it's an amazing modem but that's about it. even if it had amazing wifi it wasn't ever going to last since it's stuck at 2.4Ghz wireless-N (it technically can do 5Ghz but it doesnt work beyond 1-2 feet).
sdrennan
join:2014-05-12

sdrennan to Alittlegreen

to Alittlegreen
Going to the modem config page at 192.168.1.1, have you tried any different channels? Channel 1 is supposed to be the most stable. Similarly, are you set for 20M and 40M or just one? You might want to try setting for just 20M and see if this helps. The signal strength won't go as far cutting through walls and such but if the problem has to do with stability, maybe this will help. It can't hurt and you can always change it back later if you have any issues. I've been using the SR505N for about 4 months now incl connection via 2.4G WiFi through a NetGear WN2500Rp extender and haven't had the signal drop once in all that time.

Alittlegreen
Montreal, QC

Alittlegreen

Click for full size
I'm the only one on my channel. And I've got it set to 20m.

Trouble is it seems to loose wifi every single night around 11 PM. The devices that are connected via ether cable remain connected. But everything that's on wifi takes a nose dive.

The rest of the time, signal strength seems to be reasonable.

I think you my be the second person to mention that paired it up with a net bear and have been without outages or reboots in months. Which is exactly the stability we're looking for. Even though the darned thing is only less than a month old, just not sure at this point what if anything is the warranty with tsi. Or if this would end up be replaced with a refurbished unit.

Alternatively, thinking of the possibility of pairing with a router. My only reservation with that is that if we do, the battery time will be slightly lower.

With the 505n everything was under one roof. Which means the ups would only need to power the 505n and our ata box for voip.

Naturally if we add a router, the ups would now have to power three devices. Not sure exactly how much less backup time that would translate to with an app 750va