spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Modify_inc

join:2011-10-07

Moving from DSL to an EIA Connection of 3 mbits

Our office currently has DSL, and we finally had Windstream to put an EIA (Ethernet Internet Access) connection of 3mbits in today. I am not familiar with this type of connection. I assumed the tech would have moved our DSL line over to the new EIA connection, but I see this is not the case. He said it is required to put a firewall behind the EIA connection, and that we will need to provide the firewall device and set it up. Once this is done, we are to call in to Windstream and they will disconnect our DSL line, and enable our EIA connection.

Is this true that we have to install a firewall behind the EIA connection, or is this more of just a recommendation? Also, wouldn't the firewall need to go in front of the EIA connection rather than behind it? Do I plug the cable from the EIA connection to our wireless router, and configure the wireless router to use the static IP assigned to us? Is an EIA connection just a variant of a T1 connection?

Sorry, I have never installed/setup a T1 or EIA connection before.

Thanks
Mike

fbarber
Premium
join:2007-10-19
Commerce, GA
Mike,

I've not used an EIA connection before, but I do have some T1 experience. My understanding is that an EIA connection is terminated at your location with an ethernet port. A T1 requires some additional hardware to be connected to manage the T1 connection and "bridge" to an ethernet connection. It could be that the EIA is backed by a T1 ... or not. Doesn't really matter to you as long as it works.

It's technically a recommendation ... but ... the reason they want you to have a firewall is that the EIA connection is just that ... a connection. There is no built-in firewall, unlike your WS-supplied DSL router which has a built-in firewall. I would never connect my internal network to the internet without having a firewall in place.

If you're going to use a Wifi router, you should be able to just connect the WAN port on the router to the EIA connection, configure your WAN connection's IP, netmask, gateway, and name servers along with your firewall, and be good to go.

I hope this helps ....

I'm curious to see how it performs for you. I may have to do something similar because my DSL is so unreliable. They quoted me something like $240/month with a 2 year commitment ... so ... I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on that.

Fred

wizkid6

join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL
reply to Modify_inc
For anyone that doesn't know what an EIA circuit is, I think it's EoC (Ethernet over Copper), no?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

fbarber
Premium
join:2007-10-19
Commerce, GA
I think it's actually "Ethernet Internet Access". I don't think that the "copper" part is specifically required.

It's basically a circuit provided by the ISP that terminates in an ethernet connection, as opposed to something like a T1 which is a 4-wire serial data connection that requires additional (generally expensive) equipment to get to an ethernet connection.

I would assume that it could be delivered over copper pairs, coax, or fiber.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Xcelerate Broadb..
·Windstream
reply to Modify_inc
said by Modify_inc:

Is this true that we have to install a firewall behind the EIA connection, or is this more of just a recommendation? Also, wouldn't the firewall need to go in front of the EIA connection rather than behind it?

There is no way to put the firewall "in front of it".

said by Modify_inc:

Do I plug the cable from the EIA connection to our wireless router, and configure the wireless router to use the static IP assigned to us?

Yes that would get you and you LAN online. assuming your wireless router is not the DSL modem you already have from Windsteam. You will need a router with a Ethernet WAN port (basically any type of "home/small office" Wireless router you would find at a store.

Edit: If you're familiar with a Cable modem connection, think of it just like that, except you have a static IP.

--
IPv6 Sage - ipv6.he.net/certification/scoresheet.php?pass_name=Napsterbater
www.napshome.net