Search similar:

uniqs
lookame2002
join:2014-05-08
Glendale, AZ

lookame2002

Need help with new installation

Hello
I am just register to get help from all of you guys because I am new with DSL.
Just got the installation yesterday, 20mb internet plan + phone + tv I installed the modem PK5001Z got through the activation process, no problem here but on the modem status the downstream is only 16.906 Mbps and Upstream: 0.824 Mbps, I tried to plug to the second wall plug and I got the same result. I read online some where to see the real speed go plug directly at the pole name NID plug at the box, so I took the modem and laptop outside the house to try and here I can see the 20Mb. I think maybe my inside line is bad, so I ran a new cable cat5e from the box to the modem but I got the same result (16.2Mb / 784b), is it normal? I don't know what to check next.
When doing the speed test online, I got 14.43Mb only
Any advices are welcome thanks a lot

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

Did they install a filter/splitter at the NID (box on the side of your house) ?

It looks like the wiring to your house is fine.

Run that same test, but with the internal wiring all disconnected.

Stan B
@67.238.38.x

Stan B to lookame2002

Anon

to lookame2002
You did the right thing when you ran new Cat 5 to your modem. Try disconnecting all the other wiring to your phone jacks through the home and see if you get full speed without the other wiring being connected.
If you get 20 mb with the other wiring disconnected, then this other wire is upsetting your connection somehow. You may need DSL filters on the phones of there is not any filters used now. Or you may have loads of unnecessary wire involved. Leave any unneeded wire disconnected from the DSL Line.
You may also have very old wire involved that does not work well on Data.
You may have a bad phone plugged in too.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

1 edit

gapmn to lookame2002

to lookame2002
Okay...you plugged the modem directly into the NID and the connection was 20M down. When you plug the modem into a phone jack using your house internal wiring you get something lower than your speed tier ( below 20M). So, as you said, your internal house wiring has some issues. As far as your lower connection speed using the cat5e, you still have issues with the way you wired the cat5e. Is everything disconnected in the NID except for the CenturyLink wires and your newly installed cat5 wiring? Do you have the cat5 wired to a phone jack? If so, is the cat5 the only wiring connected to the phone jack? Also, do you have CL phone service in addition to their DSL service?
lookame2002
Glendale, AZ

lookame2002

Thank you all of you for your quick respond. After reading your respond and tried out, I got it now. Status in the modem show 20.126Mb and speed test show 17.17Mb.
It was the phone wire from the cox communication in the NID, after I disconnected that wire and reboot the modem, it's show 20.126Mb
Thanks a lot everyone.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink

Hi lookame2002,

Joey here with CenturyLink. I'm happy that you were able to get this resolved with the help of the other users here on the forum. If we can ever do anything to help you out, answer any questions, please let us know. You can IM us here on DSLReports CenturyLink See Profile or email TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thank you.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com
lookame2002
Glendale, AZ

lookame2002

Hi Joey, thank you I will keep that in mind for the future. Actually one question came in my mind, what the process for me if I want to buy my own modem and not to lease from CL. What's a good and stable modem for speed of 20Mb/40Mb?
I looked the WAN on my modem, it said: PPPoE, ADSL_2PLUS, what else I need to look at to buy the right and stable modem in my situation?
Thank you for your answer

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ

In order of preference, both from CL's supported modem list: ZyXEL Q100, ZyXEL C1000z. Both support ADSL2+ (for your existing service) and VDSL2 (for future compatibility with 40M service).
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to lookame2002

to lookame2002
I agree with Taz's recommendations.
lookame2002
Glendale, AZ

lookame2002 to TAZ

to TAZ
Thanks TAZ and gapmn, I will look on ebay for those model.