Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

[Content] More Channels For TV Tiers?

Click for full size
I was looking at the Comcast site over the past few days and yesterday I noticed that the TV portion of the TP listings now showed a higher number of channels. DP and single play offerings still show the old amount. Edit: I lied, the site is slowing changing to show the more channels across the TV only and DP offerings.

Starter now says 140+, up from 80+
Digital Preferred now says 220+ , up from 160+(230+, up from 170+ for the Preferred Plus TP)
Digital Premier now says 260+ , up from 200+

Maybe I'm just missing something which explains this 60 channel addition to each package?

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

no new channels here since 2012,
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
are they counting channels that have both a HD and SD feed as 2 each?
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
They're probably counting EACH Music Choice channel as a TV channel...so that would be 50 any of those channel lineups, since MC is now in ALL TV pkgs. (both sat co. do the same thing on their lineup channel counts...)

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

I was looking at the Comcast site over the past few days and yesterday I noticed that the TV portion of the TP listings now showed a higher number of channels. DP and single play offerings still show the old amount....

Your comment piqued my interest, so I went to comcast.com and started browsing.

I selected the "current customer" option and looked at the deals. None of the deals I looked at was valid for current customers.

{sigh}

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to dishrich

Premium Member

to dishrich
said by dishrich:

They're probably counting EACH Music Choice channel as a TV channel...so that would be 50 any of those channel lineups, since MC is now in ALL TV pkgs. (both sat co. do the same thing on their lineup channel counts...)

Are you sure? I say that since in the old 80+ channel description, it said "45 music channels."

@Joe12345678
I was thinking it may be HD counting as two too, but wasn't sure.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

Streetlight to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
There's a difference between the meaning of "the number of channels" and the actual content of those channels. For a long time Comcast pretty much duplicated many of the premium standard definition (SD) channels (HBO, Starz, etc.) with a corresponding High Definition (HD) channel. Some time ago Comcast dropped most of the HD feeds of these premium channels and replaced them with HD channels that also served up commercials, such as BBC America HD. To say Comcast "added" channels isn't quite correct because the number of channels didn't change, IIRC, but the content changed. There was a lot of discussion in these forums about that situation at the time. Comcast claimed that the HD content of these premium channels was moved to their ON Demand feature, but the crappy and cumbersome guide interface there made it next to impossible to find things and others seemed to contend that Comcast's claim was not true.

Whatever the case, take a look at the content and see if it meets your needs, not just the number of channels available for a particular tier.

As an aside I read recently that the typical subscriber to pay TV, with its hundreds of channels available, only watches 17 of them. If you're not interested in sports content remember you're paying somewhere around $12 to $15 or more per month for ESPN and all the other sports channels you may not watch. Same for the many religious channels. Those religious channels that beg for contributions should be paying us because they're taking up channel bandwidth that could be used for HD premium content.