Search similar:

uniqs
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

How to kill Dolphin Browser?

I kill it in "OS Monitor" and in a couple of seconds it's always back, taking 21MiB of memory... I can repeat it again and again. What's going on?

Dolphin Browser v11.0.1 running on Android 2.2.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

Uninstall things that unnecessarily auto start, or root your device so you can control that. Not much you can do but uninstall on an unroofed device.

Its a real irritating trend in apps to auto start when there is no valid reason for them to do so.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Yer, indeed. It's very irritating trend... And it'd be nice to find a sure way to protect Android phone form such annoying behavior, coming nor only from Dolphin, but form other similar apps too.

The device is rooted long time ago and I have some (alas far from full) control over it.

Tools, that I use, include System Tuner (currently v3.0.8) and it allows to make some arrangements for "Start up" apps. And particularly, Dolphin Browser is cleared from event BOOT_COMPLETED there. But it still start itself all the times... And I can't find out the reason - why. What does trigger that?

One more thought related to Dolphin. Perhaps I need to find a better browser. Here is yet another reason for that - Dolphin Browser always tries to get IMEI of my phone. It doesn't need to get that unique ID to operate as a browser, that's for sure. The only reason for getting IMEI is to track my device. and I surely don't need that. I always block these attempts with LBE Privacy Guard.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
That's what I was going to suggest. Uninstall Dolphin and install another browser and see if the same thing happens. There are a bunch to choose from.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

3 edits

Hayward0 to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

Tools, that I use, include System Tuner (currently v3.0.8) and it allows to make some arrangements for "Start up" apps. And particularly, Dolphin Browser is cleared from event BOOT_COMPLETED there. But it still start itself all the times... And I can't find out the reason - why. What does trigger that?

Depends on if the kill is one time or persistent.

On a ROOTED device I find SD Maid (which does much more than just SD stuff) very good.
When it lists apps it shows all that are running or auto start as well, and they can each be set as you wish.
Does a very good job of killing auto starts on current session initiated and subsequent reboots as well. It is persistent and haven't watch closely but if anything restarts it is killed again immediately if setup to do so for that App unless user started.

Needless to say (though sure it happens) of course you need to allow SD Maid itself to auto start

For Browsers I am pretty happy with the generic Android and Opera Classic (not Mini) between the two they pretty much do anything I need.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

It's easy to start a war inside Android, where one app will try to start itself and another app will try to kill it immediately, resulting in fast drainage of the battery power. I don't think it's the right way to deal with it. I'd prefer to find out the way how app is set itself into position, where OS starts it all the time... If I find out the way, I remove it from that configuration and that's it. Of course, if the app persists on such configuration setup and will try to reset it every time I run it, there will be only one way to deal with it - remove it form the phone completely. But if it's not, I may still use it...

So, the question remains - how an app may set itself into a position, that OS will launch it in a while if it's not running?

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

Well like I have said I have not closely watched app behavior that I have auto stopped with SD Maid. Before reboot it might have to be persistent. but once rebooted, the app should never be able to start and plant its seed. As things like SD Maid actually modify the startup script.

Though if manually started and shut down you might run into that problem until next reboot.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
Is that the free SD Maid, or SD Maid Pro?

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

3 edits

1 recommendation

Hayward0

Premium Member

Pro.... the small license fee is well worth it for the full feaures. And it at least from Play multi device. Just got an new tablet, rooted it and it installed the Pro version from My Apps no problem or cost

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Thanks!