uniqs

Anonuser
join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI

1 recommendation

Anonuser to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser

Re: Some places are not meant for CFL

I've been working on replacing much lighting with CFL's at a Historical Railroad in Wisconsin Dells, www.DellsTrain.com , while still keeping the old fixtures, I have heeb able to make most lights look fairly decent and fit in even using CFL's. They needed to cut expenses considerably due to the lower tourism due (economy = less tourists to pay the bills). So far, just in a single building, I calculated out we cut the daily electric usage cost from $35/day for lighting down to $1-$2. One solution I used, to "get rid" of the spiral shape on the CFL's in the enclosed Rail Platform's and other lamps like that was to wrap the CFL's with a Gel Paper (plastic sheets used in theater for the high powered lights, doesn't melt until HIGH temps). I used a very light yellow, so it will still cast that Tungsten-esk glow, and the gel paper for the most part hides the spiral look and unless your really looking for it, you dont notice that it's a CFL, just looks like a bulb in a fixture.

Realistically, the LED's don't offer much of a power savings over CFL's. Where the LED's save on is longevity. Currently, the cheapest normal price for a LED bulb is around $10 here, and I get 4xCFL's for $1 at Dollar Tree, and they have been lasting fairly long.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by Anonuser:

I've been working on replacing much lighting with CFL's at a Historical Railroad in Wisconsin Dells, www.DellsTrain.com , while still keeping the old fixtures, I have heeb able to make most lights look fairly decent

Yep, there were some where you could see they did a decent job in hiding the CFL.