carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook

Re: [Firefox] Firefox 29.0.1

FX is going nowhere on Android. Most use Chrome, some use native browser, some use Boat. It looks like FX is going to try to compete for mobile usage, but I don't think it will do much good.

»www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· world%29

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

Exactly. My browser of choice on my Android phone is Chrome for sure. And I prefer Chrome over Firefox for it's much, much better bookmark management and ease of accessing those many bookmarks I have synced up there.

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS TM3402
Asus RT-AC68

MarkRH to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
Probably why FF came up with Australis.. to have the same UI/feel across all platforms and to appeal more to the mobile generation and not those that began their computer experience with LOAD "PARADROID", 8, 1 ...

Thankfully with Classic Theme Restorer and other extensions, along with Stylish tweaks.. the main browser UI still looks and acts about like it did for me during FF 3.6 and 4.0 days.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by MarkRH:

Probably why FF came up with Australis...

to have the same UI/feel across all platforms and to appeal more to the mobile generation....

Like Windoze 8 did ?

HAH !

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to darcilicious

to darcilicious
> You're an "edge case" -- your preferences and how you approach computing does NOT match the general case.

You're right.
And I'll take that as a complement .

> Software designers aim for the general case

Agreed.

> the more you complain, the more I think they got it right.

I'll disagree there. Time will tell.
And not really complaining, more stating. (Don't use FF, as it is.)

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

And hey, what's wrong with complaining ?

I do it frequently.

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS TM3402
Asus RT-AC68

MarkRH to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Like Windoze 8 did ?

HAH !

Yeah, my mom's laptop has Windows 8 and I can't stand it and neither can she. Her desktop is running Windows XP. I'm running Windows 7 Pro w/ classic theme. I think Windows XP was their best ever (at the time) from several different points of view. I do like Windows 7 and many of their UI changes were an improvement over XP's.

Seems like every other version Windows is good with those in between sucking. Anyway, that's all off-topic.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to therube

Premium Member

to therube
said by therube:

> You're an "edge case" -- your preferences and how you approach computing does NOT match the general case.

You're right.
And I'll take that as a complement .

Wasn't directed to you, but as you will
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

So Moz is making the same mistake with FF which MS did with Windows 8 ?

Catering only to Tablets ?

Rather than avoiding Australis (by staying with an earlier version of Fx and now having to deal with Mozilla forcing semi silent upgrades on everyone who doesn't have Fx set to NEVER update) or trying to use Classic Theme extension, the answer may be SEAMONKEY. It wasn't a viable answer for many of us because so many Fx extensions don't work on it. However, as of yesterday, that is changing rapidly. Thanks to a new tool and its developer (its been made a sticky at Mozillazine forums), I've been able to port all but two of my Fx extensions to SeaMonkey. There are things to work out since the ported extensions will need to be updated manually and currently are not labeled as ported ones and should they be labeled in Addons Manager, etc. but the developer is very enthusiastic and has already fixed his tool so that two extensions that I tried that would not port correctly to SM now do.

SeaMonkey devs have said that Australis will NOT be used on SeaMonkey so the answer for those of us using desktops with large monitors may very well be SeaMonkey. The only problem that comes to my mind at the moment, if I were to switch to SM now as my default browser, is that it has a long standing bug where it can't play youtube HTML5 videos full screen but Fx can. The bug has never been fixed because the SeaMonkey devs are all volunteer and haven't had the time. But if the word spreads and SeaMonkey begins to get a big influx of users escaping Australis and the sellout to Chrome that is happening in Fx well maybe there will be more devs working on SeaMonkey.

Barbara Ann
MVM
join:2000-10-17
Canada

1 recommendation

Barbara Ann to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Racerbob

Mod

to Racerbob
I liked the structure of FF 28 ... Sea Monkey takes us back too far, so we'll stick there.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

I liked the structure of FF 28 ... Sea Monkey takes us back too far, so we'll stick there.

What FF version does Sea Monkey resemble ?

And have you tried Pale Moon ? (which I am considering doing)

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Pale Moon is just like Firefox 28 ... and apart from the different icon, you probably wouldn't know the difference.

PM is slow in spite of its claim of being faster. Since it's based on the FF core, upgrades to the FF core may percolate into PM.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Thanks.

And my first question ?

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Dave wasn't there ... "Pale Moon is just like Firefox 28 ... and apart from the different icon, you probably wouldn't know the difference."
sbrook

sbrook

Mod

Questions answered more specifically from the PM website History tab ...

Australis
Pale Moon will continue to use the well-known user interface, and will not be following Mozilla's move to the "Australis" user interface (by a number of people dubbed "FireChrome" because of its likeness with Google's Chrome browser interface) introduced in Firefox 29.
Instead, the current plan for Pale Moon is to stick to a stable, solid, and easily maintainable base code of Firefox 24 ESR (with a number of reverted changes to keep maximum configurability as well as important updates ported back from later Firefox versions) and to maintain this code base for as long as it is feasible. If a later version of the code base will eventually be switched to, it will only be done on the premise that current configurability and customization capability is retained.

How long they can stay with the FF 24 base code while importing newer updates is questionable.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

My FIRST question was in response to your original comment about Sea Monkey (not about Pale Moon).

I even quoted your first post on the sub-topic, and later edited my first reply to it, to unabbreviate 'SM' to 'Sea Monkey' for clarity's sake.

You have now replied 3x about Pale Moon, which I appreciate, though I have also read several other folks' comments about it, and been to the PM website last week.

But what more can you say about Sea Monkey ?
said by Davesnothere:

said by sbrook:

Q1 : What FF version does Sea Monkey resemble ?

Q2 : ....

therube
Randallstown, MD

therube

> Q1 : What FF version does SeaMonkey resemble ?

SeaMonkey resembles (as in looks like) SeaMonkey .
What was the "Mozilla Browser".
Looking much like Netscape Navigator.

The SeaMonkey 2.26 release version is equivalent to the FF 29 release.
SeaMonkey releases in step with FF.

So where Pale Moon (from above) is at 24esr, that is the equivalent of SeaMonkey at 2.21 & FF at 24.

SeaMonkey: SeaMonkey Screenshots
Softpedia: SeaMonkey Screenshots

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

1 edit

sbrook

Mod

/me changes name to sbrookisnothere!!!! D'Oh! Double D'Oh. Sorry Dave! Sincere apologies ... I saw Sea Monkey and my brain read Pale Moon. Totally mea culpa.

I'm a bit of a braindrain today I'm afraid. My neighbourhood has turned into Mosquitoville with a vengeance the last few days. Spent half the night itching and swatting! The only consolation is that those mozzies are dying hard and leaving splatts all over my walls!

EmoHobo
join:2010-07-16

EmoHobo to Racerbob

to Racerbob
Is there a way to get Firefox to show the bookmark sidebar in a way that requires less clicks? I hate having to click on several things, I used to just be able to click the star, I want that back.

anonomeX
@71.207.157.x

anonomeX

Anon

I use the Sidebars List extension, originally simply as a sidebar toggle but now as much for the ease of cycling thru the different sidebars using the mouse wheel; it does other stuff, too.
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

jupitermoon to EmoHobo

to EmoHobo
said by EmoHobo :
Is there a way to get Firefox to show the bookmark sidebar in a way that requires less clicks? I hate having to click on several things, I used to just be able to click the star, I want that back.
Pressing Ctrl+B still works if you're willing to use the keyboard.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

How long they can stay with the FF 24 base code while importing newer updates is questionable.

Mozilla dev has stated that Pale Moon will be required to do the DRM stuff sometime this fall. Fx 24 ESR is EOL in October.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

2 recommendations

goalieskates

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Mozilla dev has stated that Pale Moon will be required to do the DRM stuff sometime this fall.

Once again, Mozilla dev appears to have the big head. Which is exactly why I moved away from Firefox and over to Pale Moon to begin with.

If Pale Moon is "required" to add DRM, I simply won't upgrade. I am sick and tired of being told what I "must" do with my machine by arrogant, clueless people.

There is always an option. IE6 is still going some places years after it should have died, for example. I reckon PM will survive for at least half that. /end rant

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to therube

Premium Member

to therube
said by therube:

> Q1 : What FF version does SeaMonkey resemble ?

SeaMonkey resembles (as in looks like) SeaMonkey .
What was the "Mozilla Browser".
Looking much like Netscape Navigator.

The SeaMonkey 2.26 release version is equivalent to the FF 29 release.
SeaMonkey releases in step with FF.

So where Pale Moon (from above) is at 24esr, that is the equivalent of SeaMonkey at 2.21 & FF at 24.

SeaMonkey: SeaMonkey Screenshots

Softpedia: SeaMonkey Screenshots

Thanks.

The screen shots help a lot, though I guess that I will have to try it, in order to see what customizations of layout can be done with the default install, and whether SM likes my few FF add-ons.

I like the 'retro' Bookmarks menu. - FF should have left it that way.

Unfortunately, it looks like neither source has posted a pic of the Bookmarks Manager.

The settings for how SM restores your most recent session look better than how FF has been doing it, though the FF way has been good too.

And I think I get the version equivalency part, but are you saying that SM 2.26 actually LOOKS like FF 29, or just has the security updates of FF 29 ?

And can you opt to not install the email & chat components ?

therube
Randallstown, MD

1 edit

therube

Click for full size
> SM 2.26 actually LOOKS like FF 29

No, not at all.

> or just has the security updates of FF 29 ?

SeaMonkey 2.26 is based of the FF 29 code base.
(There a always a "3" difference between SeaMonkey & FF version numbers. So SeaMonkey 2. "26" vs FF "29", 26 vs 29, 3. So when FF is 30, SeaMonkey will be 2.27. "Three" is how I look at [the differences in version numbering].)

> And can you opt to not install the email & chat components

"All" is installed on an initial install.
After the initial install, you can remove cZ [& JS Debugger] (from Addons Manager).

Mail, no.
But you don't have to use Mail.

And even at that, just leaving them there & ignoring them is not going to impact you in any way. (I've never used Mail, but have used SeaMonkey, for... a decade. Oh, & it looks & works much like it did back then.)