Search similar:

uniqs

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Amazon the new eBay!

->offering the best products you can and treating consumers well while being honest!
Too bad its not the case 100% of the time.

For example:

I've been on both sides when it came to ebay: the seller and the buyer.
I've bought an item that was lost, and two continent postal services never came through.
Seller never offered refund and I lost $200.
As a seller, I had in b/w everything from pictures to disclaimer. I could not guarantee the item however it had a lifetime warranty from manufacturer so if not working, you got a bargain and with some patience, get replaced with new for free!
Buyer reneg'd and ebay refunded. Paypal didn't protect and eBay just boilerplated me.
I no longer sell on eBay. I distrust the fees of both ebay and paypal.

Now..with Amazon, its not eBay. Not yet. But you have to be saavy. Prime customers seem to be better off. Not always a deal though. I just can't justify the cost.

I have never sold on Amazon, but I have bought much. I have a co-worker that everyday, a box or several, arrive from Amazon. He tells me he never leaves feedback...he feels why should he?

Only had a 3rd party vendor ask me about a poor rating I gave. I explained it wasn't about the vendor but that the item was lost and no help from vendor or Amazon with tracking it down (it was likely a Xmas theft but it took weeks to get credit and item no longer available... you know... 1 item left... you order it then it never arrives. I suspected it wasn't UPS issue but that vendor never sent it or shipped it so it would get lost...probable but unknown).

I also found that with Amazon, some 3rd party items are priced higher than they are "from the actual vendor's website"! E.g. I bought a bike rack direct from the vendor and their website offered free shipping plus a code gave 5% off total! Now why would I spend more to go through Amazon?

You have to be smarter than the offer...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

In the rare occasions I buy on Amazon, I buy only goods that say "Ships and sold by Amazon.com".

Most of the time I buy my goods at Holyoke Mall.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to cableties

to cableties
Ebay and paypal specifically are hostile to sellers. Ebay has pretty much drummed out the middle man, and your are left w/ powersellers moving volume or the newbies who are stupid enough to eat 20% selling/paypal fees.

The internet is supposed to be efficient "meaning" make $1-$2 per item. I can go to Christies and pay a lower fee...

I pretty much buy only now, and don't sell unless it's an item I think I can make substantially more by globalizing than on CL. In fact I donate lots more items these days.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

& I hate when I have to use paypal to pay for things since they can take $ when they fell like it for no reason & there huge fees!
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
We have prime. Shopped properly Amazons prices are hard to beat on some things. They also tend to have more variety than a brick and mortar store. Can not remember last time I was at a best buy. Go to frys electronics occasionally.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to elefante72

to elefante72
I too only buy on eBay now and only for spend an amount of money I can accept losing. I rarely if ever go over USD$80 now and usually limit myself to USD$40 at most. I have had issues with small purchases never being received in the past and eBay and PayPal point fingers at each other and tell me I am not covered by either of them. As such, I have never been refunded for a loss by either PayPal or eBay. They just do not do it despite their claims to the contrary. I suppose there are people who have gotten coverage but I am not one of them. I have not sold anything on eBay in about six years, before they really started antagonizing their sellers and raising fees through the roof.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
I just bought an Asus RT-N66U at Best Buy for $129. I had $10 in RewardZone points so I was all set.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to n2jtx

to n2jtx
Ebay does have some odd items or more unique I can .ot always find even in Phoenix. Usually in fifty dollar range or less. Only infrequent use them but knock on wood no problems yet even from asia or.china.