spc
Search similar:

uniqs
alex
join:2014-05-04
Columbia, MO

alex

Gigabit for Residential customers?

I've read numerous articles about how Mediacom was building a gigabit network. Is this true?
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

I'm doubtful, but I would be curious as how anyone within Mediacom responds.

My take on this, which is based on their commercials on TV geared toward business customers, is that this is referring only to those parts in towns where they have fiber laid. Mediacom's network is based on a fiber-to-the neighborhood (aka "node") network. Therefore fiber will only be laid along main thoroughfares, which is also where you will find the fiber-optic-to-coax "nodes," with coax (not-gigabit) deployed from there to the customers. So if your business is right there along the fiber distribution route, or in the downtown area of a town (where they may have laid in additional fiber), then you might be able to get a fiber connection from Mediacom. But forget it for residents, unless you are willing to pay for something like four separate 300 Mbps cable connections and Mediacom has figured out a way to bond all four cable modems together.
Riverpilot
join:2006-12-11

Riverpilot to alex

to alex
I was told that for here, in the Quad Cities, it's for businesses only. The future? I personally think mediacom will have to offer gigbit for residents in the future. Could be 5 years, could be 10.. but it's going to come at some point.

If they can get consistent speeds in the Quad Cities, I'll be happy for now. 105 does not mean 20-60.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello WOMayhem,

At this time I've not heard anything directly related to a gigabit network for our residential accounts yet. However, I do know we're constantly testing and trying to improve our network for our customers. We do have limited test markets for our Ultra 305 service right now and we're currently working to make that more readily available to other markets.
implode
join:2009-09-06
Columbia, MO

implode to alex

to alex
I've even seen commercials for Gigabit in Columbia, MO--so assuming its somewhere in our market???

King65462
@50.82.254.x

King65462

Anon

implode : I also live in Columbia ive heard and saw online the gigabit thing to but if you call the 1800 number and manage to talk to a American they don't know anything about wat we see
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to alex

to alex
here is what your seeing

»business.mediacomcable.c ··· /gigabit

zzPromm
@173.22.129.x

zzPromm to k9iua6

Anon

to k9iua6
This is imho something along the lines of a marketing scam. Yeah, it's for business service but in my opinion this is all about sounding like they're remaining competitive without actually having to do anything. I called them about this and 2 weeks later they call me back (yes, 2 weeks to get a response) and the guy was beating around the bush about it but finally I got that "If you're already close to the fiber path you're looking at around $500 a month for 10 megabits"!!! WHY ON EARTH would anyone pay $500 a month for 10megabits at this point?! I told him it would make more sense for me to open an office in Cedar Falls (about an hour away) where I can get gigabit business service for around $1000 a month. His response to that was "yeah we wouldn't be anywhere close to that price".