Savious Zero
Simply the best
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
reply to TigerLord

Re: Gaming Etiquette, Griefing & Schadenfreude

Ill add in a few pennies from my perspective. I like griefing in games, I like trolling and being trolled. It adds a little spice to life.

For example, in D2 when I played Hardcore exclusively, you could only hostile other players in town. I figured out that you could cast several hydras during a Baal run, go to town and hostile someone before the hydras dissapeared. If built correctly, your hydras could wipe out several people before they could get a chance to react. My level 31 Sorceress had 20/20 Hydras with 20/20 fire mastery, due to a ridiculous amount of +fire skills. All the leechers were wiped out in one shot. I laughed. I really enjoyed it. It was a clever way to get around a game mechanic, and it made people realize that they were playing Hardcore and monsters werent the only thing they needed to be afraid of.

I got hours of entertainment from that, and eventually Bliz fixed it so that your hydras dissapeared immediately when you went to town. I find it fascinating that a group of players are getting together to create strife and wreck havoc in a game. Reminds me of the WoW funeral or wedding or whatever it was. That was awesome.

Without the Goons, who would you hate?
--
From the ashes of Tristram, I am reborn. The #1 fan, again.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
said by Savious Zero:

blah blah blah I have no/little skills and used an exploit in game blah blah blah

Why does hate need to be a part of a multiplayer game? It is supposed to be a source of entertainment for a large population, not just a singular individual, hence the multi- part.

Savious Zero
Simply the best
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
First, there is very little skill involved in Diablo PvP. Its all about bigger numbers.

Secondly, any sort of emotion that people evoke through a video game is a good thing in my book. We play video games to pass time and have fun. Emotions go hand in hand with that. I look back on my times being corpse camped outside of Duskwood and Southshore fondly. It just made me want to play that much more.

As long as things dont reach a personal level, I feel that briefing and trolling enhance the gaming experience. We get to act in ways that we wouldn't in our real lives and stroke different parts of our ego.

Cannon rushing in Starcraft, camping rockets in Quake and AWPing in CS. All of these invoke rage and anger in our opponents, and we revel in it. We love to dominate our opponents, were competitive by nature. Taking it to a psychological level is just another step in utter dominance.
--
From the ashes of Tristram, I am reborn. The #1 fan, again.