For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Archivis

Re: Gaming Etiquette, Griefing & Schadenfreude

said by Archivis:

And to my point, bionicRod, what happened if a group of max level players came in and slaughtered those level 50's, confiscated whatever they could (In WoW, that meant nothing, but in Star Citizen, it doesn't seem that way), camped them for a few minutes, and then disappeared without saying a word or giving them a chance to retaliate?

Would it stop them? Maybe not. Would it have them screaming at their monitor as they desperately try to scavenge more people together to get back at the griefers? Yep.

That'd be fun for us, that is for sure, but it doesn't solve the core problem. The griefers will come back once we're gone, ruining other people's experiences, until they quit. Which is business lost.

As a game developer, it wouldn't be a desirable outcome.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
We're a group of what will probably amount to 50 people... maybe 100 tops, against a group that's in the tens of thousands. Swift counter-griefing operations ruins the game for people in the same manner that regular griefing ruins the game for others. If someone is going to quit, who do you want to go?

We're not the game developer. They solve the problem with their own methods. We are players. We can only do our part to put a dent in the situation with the tools that we have.

I can promise you that if you use my method, you will get counter griefers to leave the game. There are other means to fully unravel an individual to the point where they wouldn't even dare log on. I care not to share those methods in public. It's the "extreme" approach of the Rorschach method that a lot of people don't agree with, but it is effective.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Savious Zero
Simply the best
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
Archivis, Space Age Robin Hood and part time psychologist.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

We're a group of what will probably amount to 50 people... maybe 100 tops, against a group that's in the tens of thousands. Swift counter-griefing operations ruins the game for people in the same manner that regular griefing ruins the game for others. If someone is going to quit, who do you want to go?

The griefers, obviously. It remains to be seen if the game mechanics will even support anti-griefing in a satisfactory manner.

said by Archivis:

We're not the game developer. They solve the problem with their own methods. We are players. We can only do our part to put a dent in the situation with the tools that we have.

That's true, but for games like ED and SC where player input is seriously considered as the games develop, it's a good idea to have that kind of discussion now so the devs know what we want or expect. Though I expect consensus would be impossible, because people like SA members will never accept being tamed.

said by Archivis:

I can promise you that if you use my method, you will get counter griefers to leave the game. There are other means to fully unravel an individual to the point where they wouldn't even dare log on. I care not to share those methods in public. It's the "extreme" approach of the Rorschach method that a lot of people don't agree with, but it is effective.

There is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from beating trolls because you're not beating an opponent, you're beating an asshole you think deserves punishment even more. It becomes a comeuppance instead of just a regular dogfight, and it's the delivery that makes it so sweet. It's a great source of entertainment and I'm game for it, but I would still want us to maintain a certain etiquette.

For instance, in EVE, smack talking in local chat could be unbearable. "Im gonna fuck your mommy", "Loltrolol you suck noob", "QQ more", etc. It's childish and uncivilized.

I would much rather know people are shitting their pants when they pick up PRAXT squadrons on DRADIS because our presence is synonymous with losing instead of them thinking "best smack talkers and anti-griefers in the PU"

As you say, drop in, impose carnage, jump out without uttering a single word, and do so repeatedly until the mere sight of a PRAXT ship would make them rage. That'd be a victory, but I'm not convinced it will make them go away.

Whether we even want griefers out of the game entirely is a discussion in and on itself.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
said by TigerLord:

I would much rather know people are shitting their pants when they pick up PRAXT squadrons on DRADIS because our presence is synonymous with losing instead of them thinking "best smack talkers and anti-griefers in the PU"

As you say, drop in, impose carnage, jump out without uttering a single word, and do so repeatedly until the mere sight of a PRAXT ship would make them rage. That'd be a victory, but I'm not convinced it will make them go away.

Whether we even want griefers out of the game entirely is a discussion in and on itself.

This is what I want

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
And so it shall be.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Blockfire
said by Blockfire:

said by TigerLord:

This is what I want

Agreed, not because I'm anti smack-talk, but a silent attacker is much scarier than one that spends most of the fight thumping the chest.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
There is quite literally nothing you can say to these people that is worse than what they will say to each other or say to themselves. If you do say anything, you rob them of their own internal dialogue that causes the implosion I keep talking about.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Archivis:

If you do say anything, you rob them of their own internal dialogue that causes the implosion I keep talking about.

Agreed, it's just a matter of giving them the opportunity to self destruct.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have