Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Deadbolt lock broken

So I got a call from a family member telling me her deadbolt lock from the outside just spins around where you put the key in..

She called the local locksmith and they said it's $100 to look at it and $150 to fix it.. I was thinking just get a new deadbolt and have a bunch of keys made for it? It seems way overpriced to fix a deadbolt that's been on the door now for well over 15 years.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc

Premium Member

Replace it.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Subaru

to Subaru
Replace it, local restore here has Schlage deadbolts for 5$

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

The only thing is I think it was last year she had the deadbolt re-keyed so you can use the same key as the doorknob

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Subaru:

The only thing is I think it was last year she had the deadbolt re-keyed so you can use the same key as the doorkn

Need to do a little troubleshooting. The cylinder may still be OK, in that case you can reuse it when you replace the rest of the deadbolt mechanism.

If not get the new cylinder rekeyed before you install it.

/tom
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Subaru

to Subaru
Unless they are high quality locks probably just replace both of them with the quality and looks you want.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
The key goes in fine but when you turn it is where it just spins without any resistance.

If we do get it rekeyed I assume you need to go with the same brand which was on the door.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

It could be an easy repair. On the locks I use it is about a $1.50 part which when breaks that causes that. Take it off and try to take it apart. Or post some pics of it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I was just over her house sadly I think she is going to end up paying the $150 for the locksmith :-/ and it's $100/hr

I can tell you it's a Kwikset deadbolt lock

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

billaustin

MVM

If it is a Kwikset deadbolt, and the lock and door knob are keyed the same, just buy another Kwikset deadbolt at Lowes or Home Depot. Most of them now have the Smart-Key re-key function built it, with a little tool and instructions how to do it. Install the new deadbolt and re-key it to use the existing key. I did that last fall, real easy to do.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Was not aware of that I will let her know

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

billaustin

MVM

If she happens to pick out a Kwikset deadbolt without the Smart-Key function, they can re-key it at Home Depot to match the old key before she leaves the store. Should take less than 10 minutes to do.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

She's going to go with the smart key deadbolt
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Just installed it, it was really easy and painless lol

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I would go with the Schlage, they are much better built than the Kwikset.

I heard the SmartKey can easily be defeated and house broken into without sign of entry. If I wasn't moving I was going to change the rest of my locks to Schlage once I was able to give the landlord the new key.

My SmartKeys are from 2008 so those might be the ones easily defeated.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

I would go with the Schlage, they are much better built than the Kwikset.

I heard the SmartKey can easily be defeated and house broken into without sign of entry. If I wasn't moving I was going to change the rest of my locks to Schlage once I was able to give the landlord the new key.

My SmartKeys are from 2008 so those might be the ones easily defeated.

Which of these locks will better defeat a whack from a foot.

Locks are to keep honest people out.

I don't understand where people think break ins are from people picking locks.

A huge kick and most doors give unless they have a metal frame.

In/out 3 minutes.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Her door is a hollow core.

And I agree with the lock thing, she swears by her locking screen door but one day when they tried to get in when she pressed her alert button all it took was one strong pull of the door for the locking screen door to open.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
That's why I have a burglar alarm.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.
mityfowl

2 edits

mityfowl to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I would venture to guess 99% or more of all home break ins are from forced entry or doors open (unlocked).

Not lock pickers and smart automatic garage door code catchers.

It's all about getting the thief to go next door. These guys don't give 2 hoots about the brand of lock.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

said by IowaCowboy:

That depends entirely where you live. But then you didn't say just "how many minutes".

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to mityfowl

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

I would venture to guess 99% or more of all home break ins are from forced entry or doors open (unlocked).

Not lock pickers and smart automatic garage door code catchers.

It's all about getting the thief to go next door. These guys don't give 2 hoots about the brand of lock.

Out here it is bumping and breaking the locks. Since noise would be noticed in the most gated communities that have break-ins. I just took my Smart Key Kwickset's out of my new build and replaced them with commercial locks. Bump proof/high strength but could be pick by a pro. Keeps the druggies and delinquent kids out. Keys are kind of expensive to get replaced at the locksmith though. Doors are fire rated solid steel, but they always have the option for the one window on the ground floor if they want in bad enough. So going with the best locks and re-enforcements aren't worth it. If the HOA allowed I would have a steel rolling shutter installed over the window.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

1 recommendation

tomupnorth to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by mityfowl:

said by IowaCowboy:

That depends entirely where you live. But then you didn't say just "how many minutes".

I read mityfowl's post as a bad joke.

Subaru's family member needs to get a shotgun. If she is attacked, the only thing the police will do for her is to call the coroner. Or maybe they'll glean from a neighbor who the next-of-kin might be.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

Which of these locks will better defeat a whack from a foot.

Locks are to keep honest people out.

I don't understand where people think break ins are from people picking locks.

A huge kick and most doors give unless they have a metal frame.

In/out 3 minutes.

This.

I do forcible entry as part of my job - I break locks and doors.

There isn't a residential lock/door combo out there, that can't be breached, if someone wants to bad enough.

Until you're getting into commercial or high-security locks, there really isn't that much to them. A solid boot; a whack with a sledge; drill the cylinder, or use a bang-bang or rabbit tool... There's ways.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
We have maybe one deputy on duty here most nights. Unrealistic to believe he's only a few minutes away if he's on the other side of the county.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

I fear you have missed the point. In a house break-in, the police won't help you--they CAN'T help you they are too far away.

People must be prepared to defend themselves. Call 911 if you have time, but if not just grab your weapon and save your own life.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

You don't have to tell me. I was answering "The police are just minutes away"

ttiiggy
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

I do forcible entry as part of my job - I break locks and doors.

There isn't a residential lock/door combo out there, that can't be breached, if someone wants to bad enough.

Yeah, me too.
We had one last year that had a high security metal door, super lock and reinforced frame and all that...

Right beside this fancy door was 1 layer of 1/2" dry wall on each side of the wall and some 2x4s that didn't hardly stand in the way...