All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
neil0311
join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

neil0311

[X1-X2] X1...about to pull the trigger. Feedback?

I always believe in the old adage that if "it ain't broke, don't fix it" and that is especially true with technology. However, sometimes there is an advantage in cost or power or capabilities that makes it worthwhile to consider change.

I have the Premier XF triple play currently with two Moto 3501 DVRs, and two other HD digital boxes. One DVR is included but I pay separately for the other DVR and the two digital STBs. I have separate RCA EMTA and Moto SB6120, for the single $7/mo rental cost (and could not use my own modem previously).

I was browsing the Comcast site and called and spoke with a customer service person. It looks like I could get X1 which would give me the master DVR unit that records up to 4 streams at once (same as my 2 DVRs today) and the slave boxes for 3 additional HDTVs. The cost of the EMTA would also be part of the bundle.

My question is....

Are the X1 boxes ready for prime time? My sets are all 1080p and 3D capable, and I have the output on all my DVRs and STBs set to 1080p, with one of them going through an AV receiver with an HDMI switch. The Moto 3501 is rock solid without any resetting resolution or other bugs that have plagued DVRs in the past with HDMI switching receivers.

Do the X1 boxes support output to 1080p that doesn't require any fiddling with a HDMI switching receiver, and do the slave boxes also support 1080p output and viewing 3D and other native 1080p content on demand?

Any other worthwhile feedback on X1 would be appreciated. Thanks!
medalcue
join:2014-03-28
Edmonton, AB

medalcue

[X1-X2] Re: X1...about to pull the trigger. Feedback?

I'm not sure about all the hdmi switching but so many problems with the new boxes. It's crazy why they are even released yet. It looks a lot better and has some nice new features but I regret upgrading. By the way, you can record 6 shows at a time.
jpreston
join:2014-05-03
Clarkston, MI

jpreston

Just got mine today, coming from DirecTv because of the monthly savings, and will give feedback after a couple of days.

Medalcure - The tech told me today I could record 4 streams while watching 1, nothing about 6. How do I get to record 6?

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin to neil0311

to neil0311

Re: X1...about to pull the trigger. Feedback?

The hardware has six tuners, but you can only record on four while watching on a fifth. With Cloud DVR things get less concrete. You can technically record way more than 4/5/6 programs at once regardless of your X1 DVR hardware since it is all being done remotely.

The boxes do have an 1080p setting, but it doesn't have the pass-through option like TiVos do. My only major issue with the X1 OS is that occasionally it bogs down hard and does not respond at all to remote commands. As far as hardware compatibility, I haven't experienced any issues with HDMI switching. I don't have 3DTVs to test 3D compatibility.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to neil0311

Premium Member

to neil0311

Re: [X1-X2] X1...about to pull the trigger. Feedback?

My setup is almost exactly the same as your current setup except I only have one non-DVR box. The thing that is keeping me from updating to X1 is the loss of the ability to pause and rewind live TV on the slave (non-DVR) boxes. That is something I do frequently and my understanding is that I will lose this capability if I upgrade to X1.
jpreston
join:2014-05-03
Clarkston, MI

jpreston

Oregonian - You do lose that ability with the option to use a "work around" being that you can hit record on the "slave" box, then go into recordings and you will have the ability to pause. It is a very long "work around" if you ask me but I'm trying to get use to it. If I can't I will be getting another DVR soon, once you get use to pausing live TV it is something that is hard to move away from...

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

Thanks jpreston See Profile. That seems like a reasonable workaround. It's just too bad they didn't give the slave boxes the ability to do it natively without having to use up one of the four recording channels available on the main DVR.
neil0311
join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

neil0311 to Tobin

to Tobin

Re: X1...about to pull the trigger. Feedback?

said by Tobin:

You can technically record way more than 4/5/6 programs at once regardless of your X1 DVR hardware since it is all being done remotely.

The boxes do have an 1080p setting, but it doesn't have the pass-through option like TiVos do.

Good point.... given that X1 uses a "DVR in the cloud" does the number of physical tuners in the box matter?

I was told that with X1 you can record 4 concurrent streams, but thought you could watch a live show on any of the boxes. Is that correct?

Lastly... I don't have a TiVo, so not sure it matters, but what is the "1080p pass through" that you're referring to with TiVo?

The main things I want to verify....

1) Is switching from my current setup a wise idea, regardless of the savings.

2) Are there a bunch of software bugs that cause resolution to reset the way the Moto boxes did for years?

3) Do people who have switched regret the switch or are they glad they did it?
neil0311

neil0311

Anyone?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to neil0311

MVM

to neil0311
Only some areas have started with the X1 'cloud' recording, and that is an add-on. It's still a conventional DVR.

The main box sets aside 4 tuners for recording, and the 5th for watching. If you add remote boxes, they have their own tuners for live viewing, but with no Live features like pause/rewind.