Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EnerJi

join:2011-02-19
Miami Beach, FL

Plans for broadband speed increases?

Any plans for increased broadband speeds? Comcast and Time Warner have (or are in the process of) upgrading their standard plans to 50 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps up (5Mbps up in TWC's case). Some of the other larger cable providers are similarly upgrading their standard plans to the 50-60 Mbps range.

I'd be particularly interested to hear of any plans to increase upload speeds (upstream channel bonding, anyone?)

Thanks!

redpenguin

join:2010-06-17
united state
I myself would also like to know this. I wonder since they already did an increase earlier this year.

ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA
There are no current plans to my knowledge, speeds were increased as of last year. Then again sometimes things get sprung on us pretty quickly so you never know!

We offer plans with 30mb download 3mb upload and 75mb download 5mb upload in all of our areas now, or almost all of them. These speeds are very competitive with what other companies offer.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast
Comcast has 105 Mbps and 150 Mbps tiers with their standard service, 305 and 505 Mbps tiers with their metro ethernet connections which aren't available in all areas.

ABB has done a good job on the internet side, although some upstream channel bonding may be a good idea.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
I understand some providers have top end packages are approaching/exceeding 100mbps. Atlantic Broadband has top end packages in some markets that do exceed 100mbps. If/when that may become standard to all markets, I am not sure. I was responding to the original poster in specific, that almost every market we serve now has 30mbps and 75mbps service available.

JimmyK814

join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA
Hey there Jason,

Do you have any info on what happened to the HDTV expansion in Altoona/Johnstown? I know this is the wrong topic, but I wanted to catch your attention.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
We haven't heard any new information either. I saw the other discussion, I just don't have anything to add to it. Sorry.

EnerJi

join:2011-02-19
Miami Beach, FL
reply to Os
said by Os:

...although some upstream channel bonding may be a good idea.

Completely agree with this. ABB needs faster upstream speeds, and channel bonding would enable this. It would also probably provide more reliable upstream performance.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
Adding more channels requires more from the system, not less. I am sure at some point they will upgrade the upstream and enable channel bonding, I am also confident they will probably have to sweep all the networks again to make sure the system can handle it.