Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
reply to peterboro

Re: [Tools] I need a Impact driver ?

said by peterboro:

They never will. You know why? Because we invented them and not an American. So they persist with their little girly man slot and philips.

I used to find square drive screws. Most have switched to Torx because of the high licensing fees for Robertson.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

If only you poor Yanks had Robertson screws...

You mean screws with the little inset square for driving? We've got them, I helped put up a bunch of drywall with them.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Phillips-Fas···03927693

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Most have switched to Torx because of the high licensing fees for Robertson.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver says "P. L. Robertson invented the Robertson screw and screwdriver in 1908 and received patents in 1909 (Canada) and 1911 (U.S. Patent 1,003,657). "

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

If only you poor Yanks had Robertson screws...

They are available here at many places. Actually they are very common for deck screws. They certainly has some advantages over standard slotted or Phillips head screws because the driver stays in the head much better but they are also inferior to Torx!
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
reply to shdesigns

Re: [Tools] Re: I need a Impact driver ?

said by shdesigns:

If I get an impact driver, I want it to be much more than my drill. That little 1/4" one is not much better.

You've obviously never used one of those "little" 1/4" impact drivers. LOL

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
said by Speedy Petey:

You've obviously never used one of those "little" 1/4" impact drivers. LOL

You've obviously not used my Milwaukee drill

It will snap off heads on deck screws if I don't enable the clutch.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to cchheett

Those Milwaukee drills are sweet I picked up a cordless one and will pick up another 4 tools (Jig saw, sawzall, grinder, SDS hammer)next month

Feels funny not using my air compressor as much, I wished they made a cordless stapler.. I know Ryobi has a cordless brad nailer..

So I still need to bring out the compressor to shoot some staples, yes I know they make electric staplers.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to cchheett
I use a Makita set: »www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Vo···00596872

Got it on Black Friday for $89.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to cchheett

Re: [Tools] Re: I need a Impact driver ?

said by RickWakeman:

Also Home Depot has the Ryobi LiOn drill/ impact driver combo set on sale for $99. It has good reviews never used one myself.
»www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Vol···03406854

said by cchheett:

»www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-One-Pl···c2ecZ1aw What about that link? It really is a little over my budget, but It does come with a circular saw. I don't use tools a lot, but it would be handy for when i do use them.

I also recommend the Ryobi One+ series. In terms of bang for the buck, they are great, plus you know that their batteries can be used with many other of their Ryobi One+ tools, which expands way wider than just construction tools. They have landscaping tools that use the same batteries as well.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

I eat my words, just stopped at HD and saw they have a cordless crown stapler now.. wow.. I really don't want two battery systems but it's looking pretty sweet now.

cablemandrew
Premium
join:2013-12-22
USA
reply to cchheett
I use a Milwaukee M18 1/2" Cordless Drill/Driver for Cable Installs. I had to purchase my own as a contractor but it's the best $169 I've spent. Batteries charge in 30 minutes or less, can last me a whole week of drilled holes and screw clips set. Came with 2 batteries, I keep an inverter and my charger in my rig, when one dies the other goes immediately on the charger. Drills through sheetrock, wood, hardiplank(concrete board siding), and masonry with the right bit. Sets screw clips easily and quickly, I usually set the torque back to 6 for screw clips to keep from stripping out the new holes, especially in the hardiplank because if you strip it, it'll pull or fall right out.

I've been very impressed with it. Decent price, and plenty of power for everyday use.

Edited to add link:
»www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M1···04322452

Also looks like the price is down right now, only by $10 but a worthy investment.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to cchheett
An impact driver certainly makes sense for your shed project, plus many other uses. They really are versatile tools!

I can vouch for the DeWalt tools; I own a full set of the ones you posted. They're heavy duty, workhorse tools. The only downside is that those 18v NiCad batteries are a bit heavy. The ergonomics of the impact driver is good enough that even with the heavy battery, it's comfortable to use long term without fatigue .... Unless you're driving screws/bolts above your head.

The Ryobi set is wonderful, just not as heavy duty. It may be the better value for you though, if you don't need "contractor tough" tools.
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

RickWakeman

join:2013-06-23
Springfield, MA
reply to cablemandrew
said by cablemandrew:

I use a Milwaukee M18 1/2" Cordless Drill/Driver for Cable Installs. I had to purchase my own as a contractor but it's the best $169 I've spent. Batteries charge in 30 minutes or less, can last me a whole week of drilled holes and screw clips set.

Can it take off lugnuts?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Drills are not really for that.. I have a Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact wrench for that.

Remember Impact wrench and Impact Driver are not really the same other then both providing impacting blows to whatever you are trying to do.

cchheett
Lamb Of God
Premium
join:2001-04-02
Eagle Creek, OR

1 edit
reply to cchheett
Thanks for the suggestions and info guys. Tomorrow I am going to buy the Ryobi combo Drill/Driver. Around $100 , I will be using it a lot when my shed gets done. After that though I wont use it much. I also going to purchase a new circular saw "corded" with one of those lazer line.
--
A.B.Mult.Horror

cchheett
Lamb Of God
Premium
join:2001-04-02
Eagle Creek, OR
reply to cchheett
Thanks again guys. I got one today and was playing it around for a little bit. Wow I should of bought one years ago. screwing drywall screws is very easy. If you wont watch out you will keep going into the wood, lol... definitely will work for me.

»www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardwa···c2ecZ1aw
--
A.B.Mult.Horror