spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Aftcomet
join:2009-07-14
Mississauga, ON

Aftcomet

New speed tier pricing?

Does anyone know what the new prices are going to be for 30/5, 60/10. I currently have 25/2 unlimited. I'm thinking maybe it's best to get grandfathered into 150/10, just wish that one had more usage.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

150/10 & zap the cap = god

unless you only use the internet at 8-12 then fyl :/

nope no prices are officially announced yet, this section of the forum will probably have the update first though... i think someone said june 15th is when we will see the prices? donno though
Aftcomet
Mississauga, ON

Aftcomet

Ain't that the truth. We'll thanks for the info. I really hope the new speeds are much more expensive. It really shouldn't cost more in the first place.

Pir8pete
join:2003-09-05
Ottawa

Pir8pete to Aftcomet

to Aftcomet
those buggers are going to make the new speeds avail. when the cut off to use 8x4 will be in affect on the 150/15. When 8x4 will work just fine and force us to use a crappy 2in1 modem/router like rogers ;/
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

said by Pir8pete:

those buggers are going to make the new speeds avail. when the cut off to use 8x4 will be in affect on the 150/15. When 8x4 will work just fine and force us to use a crappy 2in1 modem/router like rogers ;/

i don't think its very fair to call Marc and The TSI Folk Buggers they have nothing to do with the Force to the 24 Channel modems, And Your perfectly welcome to signup for 150/10 right now on a 8x4 modem and lock it in, With no router/modem combo unit.

And as far as new speeds being available as half of them require A New modem which may or may not yet be certified available and In STOCK at tsi's warehouse Perhaps they are Attempting to actually be prepared rather than Blind sided on orders and such. Thats not even Considering cost Studies and Deciding what to do about the ridiculous Interim pricing Which if they start selling new speeds would likely send a message that they accept it to the crtc.

No Clearly they are Just buggers who want u to use a Combo router No other possible reason exists..
Aftcomet
Mississauga, ON

Aftcomet

Hold on a second guys. You're telling me I won't be able I use my DCM 476??

DavePC
join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
Sagemcom F@st 5689
Technicolor CGM4331
Obihai OBi200

DavePC

If you are planning to use 150/15 and 250/20, yep.

If not, you're good.

Albiet, you can get 150/10 now, but not after June because of the new rogers tarrifs, requiring that you need a 24 x 8 modem for 150/15, but you are fine if you get 150/10 with a 8 x 4 modem, before June that is.
Aftcomet
Mississauga, ON

Aftcomet

Hmm I see. Thanks. I wish I knew the pricing to see if it'd be worth it.

DavePC
join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
Sagemcom F@st 5689
Technicolor CGM4331
Obihai OBi200

DavePC

Well the current 150/10 tarrif charge (per user, so this is the base rate, not including CBB, etc) is $22 (may go up mind you, still hasnt been resolved)... 150/15 is purposed for $35.

»docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· ng#gid=0
i_pk_pjers_i
join:2007-04-20
none

i_pk_pjers_i to mikee

to mikee
said by mikee:

150/10 & zap the cap = god

unless you only use the internet at 8-12 then fyl :/

nope no prices are officially announced yet, this section of the forum will probably have the update first though... i think someone said june 15th is when we will see the prices? donno though

If you only use the internet at 8-12, you're probably not going to go over a 300GB cap. It would make sense to not use ZTC if you're only going to use your internet during those hours.

Pir8pete
join:2003-09-05
Ottawa

1 edit

1 recommendation

Pir8pete to morisato

to morisato
said by morisato:

said by Pir8pete:

i don't think its very fair to call Marc and The TSI Folk Buggers they have nothing to do with the Force to the 24 Channel modems, And Your perfectly welcome to signup for 150/10 right now on a 8x4 modem and lock it in, With no router/modem combo unit.

And as far as new speeds being available as half of them require A New modem which may or may not yet be certified available and In STOCK at tsi's warehouse Perhaps they are Attempting to actually be prepared rather than Blind sided on orders and such. Thats not even Considering cost Studies and Deciding what to do about the ridiculous Interim pricing Which if they start selling new speeds would likely send a message that they accept it to the crtc.

No Clearly they are Just buggers who want u to use a Combo router No other possible reason exists..

don't have a hairy canary LOL, buggers is a just a figure of speech, and of course we all know it's rogers doing, and I'm sure you agree, those crappy combo hardware modem/routers blow goat ;p

I do have 150/10 just wanted to jump on the 150/15 before the deadline June 16th, so I could use my 8x4 modem which can handle it no problem. Now if Motorola makes a 24x8 like there 8x4 and it's on the approved list I'm down for the switch.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Just so tired of everyone wanting everything from these guys rofl sorry if i unloaded on ya.

nikonf5
@74.84.211.x

nikonf5

Anon

Hi all,

I was planning to switch to TSI 25/2/U from Rojjers at some point down the road, but reading this thread, am I correct in assuming that I should do this right away to avoid a potential price increase that is coming in June or are those price increases only for the higher tiers ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
ltpenguin
join:2013-03-27

ltpenguin

You can switch now or wait until the new plans are revealed but the new plans may be more expensive it will also be faster: 30/5. If you change now your plan will be grandfathered you will have the same plan until you cancel or change it. So it would be better to signup now because you will still have the ability to get the new plan if it is better for you.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Meanwhiles, we saves our pennies nickles, so we can purchase the newest, fastest, most stable ... modem ... and maybe its time to try a newer router too huh? Then up grade to the newer plans.

... and so, down to the nickle mines we go ...
Aftcomet
Mississauga, ON

Aftcomet

I think it's a dirty trick by Rogers to force new modems for some things when they're perfectly capable of offering plans that max out the "old" modems. This is where marketing takes precedence over common sense and being fair.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by Aftcomet:

I think it's a dirty trick by Rogers to force new modems for some things when they're perfectly capable of offering plans that max out the "old" modems. This is where marketing takes precedence over common sense and being fair.

there are good technical reasons to require modems with more channels for faster packages. in the end it gets rid of node congestion.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by jmck:

there are good technical reasons to require modems with more channels for faster packages.

Whether 4x4 is enough to handle 60/10 is a technical question that could be debated. Whether 4x4 is enough to handle 10/1 is not a technical question. There are NO technical reasons for removing 4x4 modem support completely. Absolutely none.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
It does appear somewhat dirty though, because 8x4 modems were introduced not long ago.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to Aftcomet

to Aftcomet
said by Aftcomet:

You're absolutely right. Apparently Rogers is the only ISP in North America deploying 24 channel Gateways. Node congestion doesn't come into it. It's a fairy tale just like the 'bandwidth shortage/crisis' was. It isn't a major issue in any other part of North America just in Rogers territory for some ridiculous reason.

8x4 modems are good for 330/120 and you just know Rogers will screw you out of more money with any excuse they can especially with the 'end of the world' node congestion crap floating around the forums.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

If only Modems could be "expanded" by simply adding another stick of RAM, Flash, and some kind of multiplier card that can take the unit from 4x4, to 4x8, then 24x8, and eventually higher channel bonding capabilities all without having to buy a whole new unit and going through the provisioning process all over again. Just chuck a couple bucks for an "expansion pack" and wallah still meet network requirements with less ouch.

Gona be a fricken PITA to set up stoopid combo-modem/routers into bridge mode so we can continue to use our ultra spendy personal routers that are already set up the way we wants 'em.

• I'm still dreading the new approved modems list, and we still have no real idea what we're going to end up with.

And my gut tells me its not gona be pretty.
ptscon
join:2009-02-21

ptscon

said by TwiztedZero:

Gona be a fricken PITA to set up stoopid combo-modem/routers into bridge mode so we can continue to use our ultra spendy personal routers that are already set up the way we wants 'em.

It takes one click on a toggle button to disable gateway and switch to bridge mode on the new Rogers modems.
Aftcomet
Mississauga, ON

Aftcomet

That doesn't change the fact that we have to spend money unnecessarily.

And these new modems are inherently more expensive because if the additional cost of having a router built in.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

and also when troubleshooting the inevitable reset procedure will revert it back to modem/router combo crap
ptscon
join:2009-02-21

ptscon

I don't think they are requiring this just to screw with customers, that would make no sense. They do it to future proof the local nodes. If they didn't do it no one would change modems and soon the local node would be overloaded.

It's less painful to do it during package change than later forcing everyone at once.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

More likely it's all about the availability of modems.

Companies are probably selling the last of their 8*4 modem stock and are only selling the 24*8 in quantity for now until D3.1 appears on the scene which is the focus of their R&D departments now.

Nothing to do with "future proofing". Why implement 24*8 when D3.1 is around the corner?

You are right that it is less painful to do the modem changes during the package upgrades.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

Whether 4x4 is enough to handle 60/10 is a technical question that could be debated.

Whether 4x4 is enough to handle 10/1 is not a technical question.

There are NO technical reasons for removing 4x4 modem support completely.

Absolutely none.

Agreed.

But if 4x4 D3's are gone, then so are all D2's, and THAT warms the cockles of ma wee ole heart.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

Start and VMedia are releasing their new pricing shortly. 30/5/200GB from Start is only $45/month. $4 more for a huge increase in download and upload speeds.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

VMedia already has, AFAIK, and START gave a 'Sneak Preview' of some plans in their DSLR forum today.

catchingup
@206.51.28.x

catchingup to sbrook

Anon

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Nothing to do with "future proofing". Why implement 24*8 when D3.1 is around the corner?

It is future proofing when it allows them to roll out higher speed tiers. D3.1 which is at least 2-3 years away doesn't do any good *now* or even next year.