uniqs

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Lawn mower - primer bulb broken...

Any way to start the mower without it....? Anyt idea on how I might be able to replace the bulb? Craftsman with a Briggs and Stratton 6.5 hp engine...

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

You could use some starting fluid (use just a little.)

On some carbs, the fuel pump will not work if the bulb is damaged.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by shdesigns:

On some carbs, the fuel pump will not work if the bulb is damaged.

There usually is no fuel pump on these small engines that's why they have a priming bulb and the fuel tank is mounted above the carb.

dark_star
join:2003-11-14
Louisville

dark_star to CylonRed

to CylonRed
Google the make and model of your mower, add primer bulb. Parts should pop up from a variety of sources. For instance, I had no trouble finding a fuel tank petcock for my Honda knock off Chinese generator. Don't forget Ebay. I'll never open an Ebay or Pay Pal account, but sometimes they are cheapest.

You might even try where you bought the mower. Primer bulbs are a normal wear item, and they may stock them.

shdesigns
Premium Member
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

There usually is no fuel pump on these small engines that's why they have a priming bulb and the fuel tank is mounted above the carb.

Most older engines have the bowl below the carb.

My recent pressure washer is that way. Damn junk B&S Quantum engine.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I did not even think of throttle body cleaner. Got a bunch in and on the 5th or so pull it barely started.

»www.searspartsdirect.com ··· &shdMod=

I got a part # from Sears (it is a Craftsman mower) - no store in 100 miles carries it. Tried one of the larger lawn parts houses but I can't confirm the part # I found because I can't find the engine model # anywhere on the engine.

Even nicer is the Sears page has a verify button - that is greyed out on me so I can't use it to make sure it is for my mower model.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
There might be a pump on my Mower Since it does't need priming.

shdesigns
Premium Member
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Take the part # from the Sears site and search ebay. you will find it much cheaper.

The model # will be under all the plastic covers Craftsman add to the motor

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
The bulbs usually cost a few dollars. What's the model # of the engine? I probably have one in the parts room.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

mityfowl to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
This is going to sound incredibly naive but I didn't know 4 stroke lawn mowers had priming valves.

I'm using a 30+ year old Briggs and Straton.

There is always repairclinic.com
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Check local small engine shops. I had a John Deere weed eater that had all the soft rubber pieces deteriorate (fuel lines and primer bulb mainly). I could get it to somewhat run with the cracked bulb but it's like it used the bulb as part of the fuel circuit and it was basically just drawing air in through the cracked bulb and it wouldn't run right. I assumed I needed a rebuild kit or something for the carb so I went to a local shop (Mower Menders in Tucker) and sadly they can't get any parts for John Deere but they had an entire box of primer bulbs and simply sold me one of those for a couple bucks.

chip89
Premium Member
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
They are starting to go away now. My Craftsman Does't have priming.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to UHF

MVM

to UHF
From what I have been able to find out and see. The air filter assembly includes the primer. It is about $20 provided the part I found is correct...

Briggs Stratton Engines model #12H802-2675-E1

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

Found this - »www.repairclinic.com/Par ··· /2675-E1
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
My 5year old Lawnboy with optional Honda 4 stroke engine has no primer, just an auto choke, always starts on the first pull.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to Tex

MVM

to Tex
Any idea how it it removed and replaced? Their helpful hint - was not helpful and the other link shows no separate piece for the bulb.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix to CylonRed

to CylonRed
Ok, you're going to laugh. Blow into the tube where the primer bulb used to attach. Should start right up.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

2 recommendations

UHF to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· fMh1nPh8
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to chip89

to chip89
said by chip89:

They are starting to go away now. My Craftsman Does't have priming.

then it uses a flapper that opens the choke when the engine comes to speed. it works on the air flow from the flywheel.

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel
join:2001-03-31
Not on map

Pistol Pete to CylonRed

to CylonRed
Not trying to hi-jack, my question is if primer bulb has a crack in it but still primes carb, will the cracked primer bulb have any effect on how the engine runs?

Thanks
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

It can. As I mentioned in my post, my weed eater's primer bulb was an integral part of the fuel circuit. I could actually see gas flow through it as it ran, just like a sight glass. With it cracked I could get the engine to run but it sucked air instead of fuel so it didn't run well. This was a solid primer bulb, I have seen primer bulbs with a pin hole in the top of them, those I doubt would care if it were cracked (the hole is simply bigger). It really boils down to the type of primer bulb.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

Side mounted primer bulbs usually have fuel flowing through them. Top mounted bulbs are usually "vented" and when using them you have to plug the hole with you finger... they work like a siphon pump... draw fuel from the tank and pump it into the carb.

chip89
Premium Member
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to iknow_t

Premium Member

to iknow_t
I does't have a choke on it either. (there's no controls for it just pull the handle to start)
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t

said by chip89:

I does't have a choke on it either. (there's no controls for it just pull the handle to start)

only the flapper has access to the choke. it's automatic. you can't see the choke plate unless you take off the air cleaner and look inside the carb.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit

mityfowl to Pistol Pete

Premium Member

to Pistol Pete
said by Pistol Pete:

I'm surprised you a
Billy Brethr (banned)
join:2005-04-01
San Antonio, TX

Billy Brethr (banned) to CylonRed

to CylonRed
I've learned the hard way that there are two kinds of primer bulbs. Those with a hole and those without. I made the mistake of replacing my "without hole" bulb with a new ($12.00!!!) bulb WITH a hole, and apparantley the air gets into the carb and the engine ran real rough. Spent another $12.00 at Lowes on a bulb without a hole and the engine runs fine.

I make no claim to actually know anything here. I understand basic operational principals of a 4-stroke engine, and I can mow my grass. That's my expertise, right there. What I'm relating here is my problem (rough-running engine due to cracked primer bulb) and my trial & error solution.

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel
join:2001-03-31
Not on map

Pistol Pete to mityfowl

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

said by Pistol Pete:

I'm surprised you a

???

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to UHF

MVM

to UHF
I need to pull the mower back out - from my memory - the bulb is enclosed with the air filter housing on one side.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

It sorta is, but still takes the same part I linked to earlier.

»c.searspartsdirect.com/l ··· 0001.png

»www.searspartsdirect.com ··· eyId=387

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

CylonRed

MVM

Looks like the only one clip that might be there - hard to see without having it a lot higher than the ground - is on the bottom only. The left side is molded into the air cleaner and the other side (right - on the spark plug side) has no clip.

It looks like the air filter housing (in part 966) is held on with 3 small bolts. Might be easier on my back to just replace it than fight with only one clip I can see....