spc
Search similar:

uniqs

john131971
join:2003-05-05
Louisville, KY

john131971

Air Flow, build help

Currently putting together a parts list for a new build. I mostly have everything picked out as far as hardware goes. Refreshed haswell, kinda leaning towards one of the quad core 65w units. 9 series chip set, 760gtx silvestone 620w. Not planning to sli, or overclock. one dvd-rw drive 1-3 hard drives.

The part I am trying to figure out, is case and air flow.
I want descent filters on the intake fan/fans. And pwm control of all fans, to only speed up as needed, and to dial back when not needed.

Not really sure what is possible and what isnt possible with a budget of 100-150 for the motherboard.

thanks for your input

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

You need fans with higher than normal static pressure if you are concerned about air flow and plan to put filters on the case.
Morris0
join:2011-05-14

Morris0 to john131971

to john131971
You should not have a problem. Some reading:
»www.silverstonetek.com/t ··· positive

john131971
Louisville, KY

john131971

Thanks for the link, was a very good read.
At first glance, it would seem that the top case fan would be an exhaust fan. But with the addition of a fan filters, changing it to an intake. Routine cleaning would be reduced greatly.

Positive pressure with good filters and fans reduces the intake of dust. Less cleaning, yay.

Still haven't found an answer as to if its is possible for most if not all the fans to be able to scale up or down per the load on the system.
No spinning fans, no dust, no noise. Heavy loaded system, then system runs fans at top speed.

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu

Premium Member

said by john131971:

Still haven't found an answer as to if its is possible for most if not all the fans to be able to scale up or down per the load on the system.
No spinning fans, no dust, no noise. Heavy loaded system, then system runs fans at top speed.

Well system load is kind of irrelevant.. heat is the determining factor for the need for more fan speed. That said, there are lots of fan controllers out there that spin up/down fans based on temperature. Your motherboard may even do this out of the box via BIOS settings
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to john131971

Premium Member

to john131971
You can replace your case fans with something like what you are looking for. I don't keep up with that enough to recommend specific product but you can search newegg case fans for "variable" in the rpm section.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to john131971

Premium Member

to john131971
If you want whisper quiet fans, you are going to pay a premium. Unless you are running an OS that allows you to control fan speed at the hardware level (read: not Windows), then you are going to have fans spinning. The caveat to this is using a fan controller that has temperature sensors (as Jehu See Profile already mentioned).

The type of fans you are looking for are called PWM fans. They have 4-pin plugs (small just like a 3-pin, but with one extra pin). Of course, your motherboard would need 3-4 of these headers (4-pin) in order to control the fan speed itself. That is going to cost you a premium as well.

If you want to spend about $20+ a fan, you can look into the fans at »www.noctua.at . They are expensive, but they are probably some of the quietest fans you will ever buy.

bigwires
@69.118.94.x

bigwires

Anon

You can buy PWM splitters with a molex for power. I run one on my CPU cooler, 3 fans run off the cpu fan header powered with molex power but controlled by the CPU temp.

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
another vote for Noctua. i have several in my case.

john131971
Louisville, KY

john131971

Thanks everyone for the insight.
I have a good idea of what I am looking for now, and how to set everything up.