Search similar:

uniqs
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

1 edit

Bob61571

Could I work out a Toll arrangement where Cablevision pays me

for all the usage that goes thru my Router by its customers?

Seems only fair to me!!

(Speaking generically, since I am NOT a Cablevision customer. Wouldn't it make a difference IF I bought my own Router, instead of a cableco issued router? And, if I have the option to turn the WiFi access on/off for other people, it seems that I should receive some compensation depending on my decision, and how it benefits the cableco!)

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

It's not your router, it's their router.
Cablevision does not charge you for it.
If you're either paranoid, or don't bother to understand what's going on, you have the right to not accept their free router, then go out and purchase your own device that better suits your needs.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus

Is it the customer's wired connection that the router connects to?

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

No, it is Cablevision's, and they do not charge customer anything for it.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
Danbury, CT

4 recommendations

ieolus

Wow, you people have some sick views. No wonder companies can just run roughshod over people and they don't care to do anything about it. No wonder we have such shitty internet compared to the rest of the world.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

Why not? It's not the EU's modem/router? The same as they can change the settings on your setup box without a problem.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

GeekJedi to ieolus

Premium Member

to ieolus
If you could support your assertion that this has any effect on your service, I'd love to listen. Go ahead...

ieolus
Support The Clecs
Danbury, CT

3 recommendations

ieolus

I really don't care if you listen or not. Whether it is a separate radio on the wifi router or not, there is only one pipe leaving the house... any traffic that isn't your own will impact your service.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt

said by ieolus:

any traffic that isn't your own will impact your service.

Do not forget the Wi-Fi side of the equation. There are really only three useable 2.4 GHz channels without overlapping. Therefore if the ISP uses the same channel for the public hotspot it will impact the customers throughput. In a congested area where there a lot of Wi-Fi networks like an apartment house there may not be an alternate channel to use for the public hotspot.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
Danbury, CT

ieolus

Mr. Matt, agreed. The whole thing is a bad idea, and some of these comments whitewashing it like its no big deal is crazy.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to Mr Matt

MVM

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

said by ieolus:

any traffic that isn't your own will impact your service.

Do not forget the Wi-Fi side of the equation. There are really only three useable 2.4 GHz channels without overlapping. Therefore if the ISP uses the same channel for the public hotspot it will impact the customers throughput. In a congested area where there a lot of Wi-Fi networks like an apartment house there may not be an alternate channel to use for the public hotspot.

Actually it is better than if they put in a wi-fi router outside your house. The Cablevision router uses the same channel for both the public and private network but since it is in control, it prevents interference on the downstream while if they put in a router outside your home it might very well cause significant interference.

Certainly if someone is sitting outside your home with a laptop, downloading GBs there is some possibility it could slightly degrade your wi-fi performance but overall it is likely to have little if any effect, unless you have the top tier or are transferring GBs within your network on a regular basis and there are several users of public wi-fi at 15mbps.

As to having an effect on the connection from the modem to the cable company it is the same as if they had a new customer or a wi-fi router outside your house, if there is overall congestion it could have an effect. You are relying on the company to keep the connection from having a high utilization rate.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

GeekJedi to ieolus

Premium Member

to ieolus
And I couldn't care less if you did care. You have no idea how this will impact your service, because you have no clue how it will work. But feel free to keep on spreadin' the FUD around.
Mr Matt
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt to MxxCon

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

No, it is Cablevision's, and they do not charge customer anything for it.

The cost of the wireless modem/router is not free it is included in the cost of broadband service. Will Cablevision allow the customer to keep their wireless modem/router when they discontinue broadband service. I think not. You might need professional help separating fantasy (Cablevision does not charge customer anything.) From reality, the cost of terminal equipment for broadband service is included in the subscription fee.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

said by Mr Matt:

The cost of the wireless modem/router is not free it is included in the cost of broadband service.

Most people at this point have bought their own Router. They do not get a different price for the service, in fact a new customer getting service might actually get a lower rate and the Router. Certainly from an economic perspective you pay for all equipment but if they put a wireless router outside your house you are still paying for it with your logic.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

Certainly if someone is sitting outside your home with a laptop, downloading GBs there is some possibility it could slightly degrade your wi-fi performance but overall it is likely to have little if any effect, unless you have the top tier or are transferring GBs within your network on a regular basis and there are several users of public wi-fi at 15mbps.

actually, if someone is on B/G and you are on N, and they start first, then it will lead to significant slowdowns for your stuff, because its on the same frequency. If they are on N, it would lead to about a 70% slowdown if they were downloading first. That is 70% of what you would have gotten, meaning, if you would have gotten 15mbps(pretty regular at a normal distance from the router), then you will only get about 4. Wireless congestion is a huge issue, and more people will notice the wireless congestion than they will anything else, and it will be in the speeds being slower overall, just because another network is present.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

IIRC correctly there are different radios for public and Private even though they use the same channel. I must admit I am not an expert on W-Fi performance so I am not sure whether the B/G and N argument holds but also wouldn't it depend on your plan whether it would affect download speed, ie are you anywhere near the max of the router wi-fi capacity
Mr Matt
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

Most people at this point have bought their own Router.

Your comment conflicts with MxxCon's comment. If Cablevision includes the wireless modem/router why would a subscriber purchase their own wireless modem/router.
Mr Matt

Mr Matt to GeekJedi

to GeekJedi
said by GeekJedi:

You have no idea how this will impact your service, because you have no clue how it will work.

I do know how this will impact my service. I have a Novatel 4620 wireless hotspot. It works fine in my house in Eustis. When I do a scan of available networks I occasionally see the weak signal from one or two Wi-Fi networks in adjacent homes. When I try to use the hotspot in my apartment I see 20 to 24 wireless networks. Although the signal to the Verizon network is strong the Wi-Fi connection is slow and is frequently dropped particularly in the early evening. I received significantly better results when I connected to the hotspot at 3:00AM.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

said by TheWiseGuy:

Most people at this point have bought their own Router.

Your comment conflicts with MxxCon's comment. If Cablevision includes the wireless modem/router why would a subscriber purchase their own wireless modem/router.

If they want more control over hardware. If they want features not provided by CV's device. If they don't like the color of CV's device. Do I need to list any more reasons why somebody would want to buy their own hardware?
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr to MxxCon

to MxxCon
Only as long as the customer remains uncapped, and without overages. So far usage meters I've seen deployed on cable are raw data measurements on the Docsis side of the modem.

Which includes a fair degree of overhead. IMHO the Cable CO should deduct this over from the customers actual data usage, especially where they've deployed hotspots..

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by tkdslr:

So far usage meters I've seen deployed on cable are raw data measurements on the Docsis side of the modem.

show proof?