vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

2 recommendations

vpoko

Premium Member

What happens

What happens when someone uses the connection for something illegal and it gets traced back to my IP address? Does the SSID get its own IP? Also, then can't the subscriber use the public SSID to avoid caps?

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

The hotspot users are on a separate network. They have to authenticate using their own credentials.

It's no different than the cable company hanging a public hotspot on the cable strand outside your house.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

2 recommendations

ieolus

Except for the part where your wired connection is being used.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

2 recommendations

GeekJedi

Premium Member

Except that it's not "your" connection. It's "their" connection that you pay to use. Any additional traffic on it doesn't affect "your" connection. Learn a little bit more about this stuff...

ieolus
Support The Clecs
Danbury, CT
Netgear R6400

2 recommendations

ieolus

said by GeekJedi:

Except that it's not "your" connection. It's "their" connection that you pay to use. Any additional traffic on it doesn't affect "your" connection. Learn a little bit more about this stuff...

Is that a joke? Even wired connections are not unlimited. Enough wifi traffic can definitely impact your own use.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

2 recommendations

MxxCon

Please educate before you spread FUD.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
Mukwonago, WI

GeekJedi to ieolus

Premium Member

to ieolus
OK. So tell me what Cablevision is doing to prevent that? You don't know, do you.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
Danbury, CT
Netgear R6400

ieolus

said by GeekJedi:

OK. So tell me what Cablevision is doing to prevent that? You don't know, do you.

Prevent what?

infixed
join:2014-03-16
Melbourne, FL

4 recommendations

infixed to limegrass69

to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

It's no different than the cable company hanging a public hotspot on the cable strand outside your house.

Wow. That would be rude, running an extension cord from the cable strand outside to plug into a customer's AC line, to power Cablevision's AP, to provide a commercial product, without asking that customer.

But at least the customer isn't providing rack space, environmental control and physical security, right?
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt

said by infixed:

running an extension cord from the cable strand outside to plug into a customer's AC line, to power Cablevision's AP, to provide a commercial product, without asking that customer.

You failed to mention that in this case the ISP's mount the hotspot on the customers property not a cable stand on public property.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
Mukwonago, WI

GeekJedi to ieolus

Premium Member

to ieolus
Congestion. Obviously you know something the rest of us don't about the configuration if you can be so certain that it will impact your performance.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
Danbury, CT
Netgear R6400

2 recommendations

ieolus

said by GeekJedi:

Congestion. Obviously you know something the rest of us don't about the configuration if you can be so certain that it will impact your performance.

Sigh... you understand there is only one pipe leaving the customer's house to the cable company's network right?
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo to limegrass69

to limegrass69
its still your door thats going to get a knock when someone does something illegal and gets caught, since I doubt they are able to effectively track who was logged into where.
Chubbysumo

Chubbysumo to infixed

to infixed
a typical router/modem combo will use about $40 per year of electricity. The SBG6782(AC combo unit) has a 50w max power usage adapter. That would be something that would have to be run anyways(if you want internet service), and it likely only peaks at 50w when its really being used, so I would put costs at something more like $20 per year.

»www.citytrf.net/costs_ca ··· ator.htm
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to Chubbysumo

MVM

to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

its still your door thats going to get a knock when someone does something illegal and gets caught, since I doubt they are able to effectively track who was logged into where.

Huh, they certainly would know which IP was the public Wi-Fi IP and which was the home user's IP. Since the police would be requesting by IP they certainly would know.

atcotr
@65.60.144.x

atcotr to ieolus

Anon

to ieolus
That's already shared with hundreds of neighbors.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to vpoko

Premium Member

to vpoko
no. to get credentials[login/password] i'm pretty sure the public would have to pay comcast.

PlusOne
@50.182.54.x

PlusOne to vpoko

Anon

to vpoko
said by vpoko:

What happens when someone uses the connection for something illegal and it gets traced back to my IP address? Does the SSID get its own IP? Also, then can't the subscriber use the public SSID to avoid caps?

It doesn't use YOUR IP address. IT has a separate IP address.
kruser
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Eastern MO

1 edit

1 recommendation

kruser to ieolus

Premium Member

to ieolus
said by ieolus:

said by GeekJedi:

Sigh... you understand there is only one pipe leaving the customer's house to the cable company's network right?

Yep, and that same pipe is also the same pipe that ALL your neighbors are hooked to or a new neighbor gets hooked to when they subscribe to Cablevision for internet service.

Everyone on your side of the node is on the same pipe until it is split over to fiber at which point even more subscribers share the same pipe.

Do you think they run a separate wire back to the headend for EACH subscriber? No, they do not.
This is not DSL that is being discussed here. DSL does use a private pair of wires for each customer that go from their home back to the CO or RT or VRAD for Uverse. Cable does not use the same technology.

Now, if your node is oversubscribed, then adding this service could affect your speeds if the node cannot handle the bandwidth needs but it would also affect everyone on the node and not just you regardless if they hung this hotspot on your cable or your neighbors cable.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
Danbury, CT

ieolus

You are right kruser. However, if you pay for 30Mbps, and because of the public on your wifi you get less, you are being impacted.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to GeekJedi

to GeekJedi
yes but they charge us for the lines they laid, install hardware to house and some how lease router to me that i can never own. or some how some way rake up the rates . on a lock contract. this is comcrap and cablevison

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to dvd536

to dvd536
Comcast has nothing to do with this, since it's Optimum (Cablevision's) service. So nice try at a joke but next time remember the topic at hand.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to GeekJedi

to GeekJedi
said by GeekJedi:

Unless these modems/routers have special QOS controls (that actually work well) there will be some degrading of the customer's service. Nevertheless, the vast majority of cablemodems are just that-- modems.. not routers. You actually PAY EXTRA to get the modem w/ a router.. I remember this because I asked a while back... nothing premium is free with cablevision.

BTW, why hasn't cablevision been offering lower prices on the higher tiers.. Time Warner already has parts of their market (queens) offering 300mbits at $70 a month.

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

Kasoah to GeekJedi

to GeekJedi
I don't think they are using an additional radio. It will take some of the wifi capacity of your connection.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to GeekJedi

to GeekJedi
said by GeekJedi:

Sounds like bullshit. Unless such a thing is outlined in the contract and/or ToS that you, the customer, signs, then I'd say this qualifies as a materially adverse change to the ToS you have with the ISP. Claiming that any "additional" traffic doesn't affect you is pretty silly. How am I to know there aren't malicious packets traversing my connection through Cablevision's public AP? What third party will audit their system to prove to me it's not a security risk?

Sammael1069
join:2011-06-20
united state

2 edits

Sammael1069 to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
Only one ip per modem
Sammael1069

Sammael1069 to PlusOne

to PlusOne
It does not have a separate ip, the modem only has one ip assigned to it.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

The modem does not have a public IP assigned to it. The router is the device that has an IP assigned to it. Since people in the OOL forum have checked and the Public Wi-Fi has a separate IP then that of the home user, you obviously are wrong

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater to Sammael1069

MVM

to Sammael1069
The WiFi Hotspot gets a separate IP address, it will not use yours.

Sammael1069
join:2011-06-20
united state

Sammael1069 to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
Server: hicks245-135.optonline.net
Address: 167.206.245.135

Name: ool-44c60c0c.dyn.optonline.net
Address: 68.198.12.12

Is that a router or a modem .........its a modem ip is passed to the device attached.