join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

2 edits

MDA

Premium Member

[Equip] That tg862g is a joke of a modem

Split from »[Speed] 50/10 Blast tier and have not seen over 2/1 yet. where it was off topic ~sorto' "
said by redbeard916:

That tg862g is a joke of a modem

You must be mistaken for the Technicolor TC8305C...

Grandmother has a TG862g that works with any wireless-N client I have connected to it and provides her full 50/10 connection over wireless. Her secondary Netgear WNR3500v2 tops out at 30/10.

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

1 recommendation

redbeard916

[Equip] Re: [Speed] 50/10 Blast tier and have not seen over 2/1 yet.

Nope mda I'm not joking at all.. All in one units suck we all know that . sorry

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 edit

MDA

Premium Member

Re: [Speed] 50/10 Blast tier and have not seen over 2/1 yet.

said by redbeard916:

Nope mda I'm not joking at all.. All in one units suck we all know that . sorry

There's no problem with the functionality of most gateways. Even the actiontec Q1000 DSL gateway my mother uses works well enough. It's just that if you know how to set up a dedicated router and need more speed/flexibility over managing your home network, you get a dedicated router.

The TG862g beats a lot of third-party routers when it comes to speed and wireless range that you wouldn't have thought otherwise.

Don't be so hasty to jump to conclusions until you have tried one yourself.
Expand your moderator at work

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

redbeard916

Re: [Speed] 50/10 Blast tier and have not seen over 2/1 yet.

All in one units will never compare to a in home router and separate modem setup.. Not to mention all the extra enabled settings Comcast decides they need to enable on that pos tg862g.. Nuff said

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

[Equip] Re: [Speed] 50/10 Blast tier and have not seen over 2/1 yet.

I could live with an AIO, but WiFi is a fickle technology. Minimal movement, down to millimeters can drastically affect throughput/range. I can keep my cable modem on my desk near the outlet without running a thick RG6 cable, but I can also place my Apple AirPort Extreme on top of a book shelf where it gets the most coverage.

Bespoke routers also have better configuration tools, more options and fewer issues in general. Also if I wanted to buy an AC model, it would have to be the SG6782, which is $200-220 and as expensive as a modem + separate AC router anyway.
Expand your moderator at work

Dynasty
@73.189.44.x

Dynasty to Tobin

Anon

to Tobin

Re: [Equip] Re: [Speed] 50/10 Blast tier and have not seen over 2/1 yet.

Yep, that router/modem was hot garbage. Had to buy my own stuff, but at least it works.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

MDA

Premium Member

Re: [Equip] That tg862g is a joke of a modem

Never ment for this to be a seperate thread and just thought it would all have been deleted, but I'm not contributing to this any longer as it was getting into a big fight.